Southpaw Grammar vs. Maladjusted, Round 333.

• Thread starter Belligerent Ghoul
  • Start date
B

Belligerent Ghoul

I could, and any single one of us could write a song by song breakdown of each of these albums, pitting Trouble Loves Me against Boy Racer on a high note, or perhaps Paja Jack vs. The Teachers Are Afraid of The Pupils on a lower note. I have thought long and hard about this post, normally I just wing it. Initially I wanted to prove to you why Southpaw was the better album by elevating it, and putting Maladjusted down. Clever? I think not. Then I thought instead of taking a song by song approach, I'll take a holistic one. Now I am at this place, and this is where I shall remain.

I like every Smiths album and every Morrissey album ever released. For Moz, I love Viva, Bona, Arsenal & Vauxhall equally. I like K. Uncle, & Southpaw & Maladjusted.

My sense, to be as simple as possible, is that Southpaw was better produced. We can talk about Southpaw's edge vs. Maladjusted tamer tone, or mostly Alain's music, or Morrissey's ability to pen and deliver (two very distinct things) his lyrics in each album until we are blue in the face.

What I HEAR, is that Lillywhite was able to capture the Southpaw sessions such that, whatever you think of them, and I think they are terrific, that energy was transferred over to the actual recording and remains like that in perpetuity.

By contrast, Maladjusted, just sounds to me like it was recorded with muffled drum, the songs sound flat, the band uninspired, or at least on several tracks. I don't find the production lacking in Southpaw. I hear a band that was like a fine oiled machine on Southpaw, and I don't hear that on Maladjusted.

So all things hypothetically, music, lyrics, Moz's delivery, being equal, I think Lillywhite was not able to capture the sound in the right way, or that the studio sessions themselves were somewhat lackluster on Maladjusted.

This has been IMHO. Please forget it as quickly as you read it.

Easy on the commentary there kurt vonnugut..... we dont need book reports...just sahy if you like/dislike the record ok??? thats all.

Between the two, I prefer Maladjusted, but not because of its production. People keep saying it was poorly produced, but that doesn't really determine my love for an album. For example, the Smiths' self titled debut is my favourite Smiths album, despite its notoriously poor production.

There are several songs on both Southpaw and Maladjusted that are bad, and several that are good. But for me, the songs on Maladjusted that are good are fantastic, while those good tracks on Southpaw are merely good.

Sure, Maladjusted may contain awful tracks like "Papa Jack", "Roy's Keen", "He Cried" and "Sorrow...", but I absolutely adore "Alma Matters", "Ambitious Outsiders", "Ammunition", "Wide to Receive", "Satan Rejected My Soul" and especially "Trouble Loves Me", much more than any of the better songs on Southpaw.

Also, Morrissey's lyrics on Maladjusted just seem more personal, which is one of the reasons The Smiths is my favourite Smiths album as well.

> Sure, Maladjusted may contain awful tracks like "Papa Jack",
> "Roy's Keen", "He Cried" and "Sorrow...",
> but I absolutely adore "Alma Matters", "Ambitious
> Outsiders", "Ammunition", "Wide to Receive",
> "Satan Rejected My Soul" and especially "Trouble Loves
> Me", much more than any of the better songs on Southpaw.

> Also, Morrissey's lyrics on Maladjusted just seem more personal, which is
> one of the reasons The Smiths is my favourite Smiths album as well.

Roy's Keen is a great tune.. Shame about the chorus in a way.. But it's an attitude song played live (I got hold of a studio out-take recently aan that shouted intro 'GO ON'.. makes it rock all the way through..)

Wish I had my CD's here to compare..

Interesting debate though.
Ruffian

Back
Top Bottom