"Southpaw Grammar" removed from the BMG/RCA, Sony Legacy (re-issue) catalogues

The latest from true-to-you.net:

Southpaw Grammar
10 January 2012

As of March 1st 2011, "Southpaw Grammar" was removed from the BMG/RCA catalogue, and removed from the Sony Legacy catalogue (re-issue), and will no longer be issued or sold by either company.
The CD remains available on the original 1995 Reprise US pressing only.

Last edited by a moderator:
:mad: This is dreadful news. "Southpaw" is a jewel. I feel this album was poorly promoted in the United States. I live very near Chicago, and I truly recall almost no promotion for this outstanding record whatsoever. What are your recollections? "Southpaw" is daring and ambitious, and Morrissey succeeded in realising an outstanding vision for fans and fans-to-be as well.

Why does this matter? It's still available on iTunes, and it's not like the CD packaging for Southpaw (an album I admire) was anything to write home about. "Out of print" doesn't mean what it used to in music, or what it still does in books. This is the same 1980s thinking that refuses to release music with a large audience because "a grown-up label" hasn't called. Come on.

Re: Article: "Southpaw Grammar" removed from the BMG/RCA, Sony Legacy (re-issue) cata

I truly recall almost no promotion for this outstanding record whatsoever. What are your recollections?

I live in the LA area and remember no promotion when this came out. No U.S. singles released and no airplay. I remember seeing the UK version at a local indie shop on sale for $40 bucks. The guy said he wasn't sure a US version would be released. I wasn't about to pay 40 bucks for it so I patiently waited for a US version which finally came out almost a month later. Also remember KROQ mentioning that Moz was opening up for Bowie in the UK and that he might do the same in the US. Turned out Bowie toured with NIN nails in the US. Would be another 2 years before Moz made it back to the US.

Anyone who doesn't like Southpaw Grammar doesn't understand Morrissey.

Southpaw Grammar is a different class.

"Southpaw" includes some of my favourite tracks and it's always a joy to hear them live. I prefer the original sequencing to the re-issue and two of the best tracks were wasted as 'Dave' b-sides. Not quite enough killer tracks to make it a classic though; saving the 'Boxers' era material for the album (including the unreleased stuff) would have placed Southpaw among his best. Extra tracks on the re-issue added value, but should have been tacked on the end.

Promotion wise, Morrissey was supposed to share a bill with Bowie. When that arrangement unravelled there were no replacement dates (in the UK at least). Shame, as the live band sounded great at the time (I have a BBC live tape somewhere). Saw Bowie anyway and he was superb. By the time 'Boy Racer' sneaked out (no new b-sides), momentum was lost. Good see the brief return of the 'cover stars' though.

this can only be good news.
Southpaw Grammar is Morrissey's worst ever album by quite a margin.
a crap attempt at grunge five years after grunge was vaguely original/interesting, with some of the worst lyrics he's ever written.
it's the only Morrissey album that doesn't contain a single brilliant song.

This album is great just for The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils, which I feel is one of Morrissey's best tracks.

I hoping that Morrissey re-releases Southpaw Grammar on LP on his Attack label (or if that is under, maybe another label can pick it up).

Southpaw Grammar.... an attempt at Grunge?

Did you get dropped on your head when you were younger?

Re: Article: "Southpaw Grammar" removed from the BMG/RCA, Sony Legacy (re-issue) cata

sounds like MauriceE from the forums

At the time, the review headline in one of the big music mags (Mojo or Q) simple said 'He's gone grunge, the scamp'.

"Southpaw, from this album, remains Morrissey's finest song. "

THIS. What an absolute gem of a song...mindblowing, truly.

The entire Southpaw Grammar album is one of my favorites, and very unfairly criticized. A bold album that still holds up great. While the added tracks on the Legacy edition were excellent, the resequencing of the track order was a really bad idea. Furthermore, "You Must Please Remember" should have been included.

- Ian C. -

Wait, didnt they reissue this already, like last year, w/a new cover, and bonus tracks?

This is strange, as only yesterday I received the vinyl LP, which I'd bought for a bargain £25 off eBay (One listing is £91). The warmth and clarity from the vinyl is much more appealing than the cold compressed CD version. Cracked it up loud, sounded amazing!

I was living in NY when it came out. The Boy Racer got some decent airplay on WDRE and a few indie/retro clubs would play it, didn't help SG from sinking like a stone.

His finest hour, imho.

Back
Top Bottom