Southpaw Grammar/Maladjusted reissues

I'm waiting anxisous to get my reissues.

I have seen the art at other thred and it makes more anxious than before.

Is Moz considering his retirement? Are these releases contriibutions to his future savings [you never know when a lawsuit may arrive]? Has he revealed his motives for them in depth at all?

I bought both albums when living in France several years ago, along with Kill Uncle and the original CD issue of Viva Hate. I listened to them both, in full, many times over. In my opinion, Southpaw Grammar has a great variety of topics on it, but Maladjusted has so much more personal depth on display. The title alone relishes in the wrongful understanding of Morrissey's output by the critics, and at the same time, lives up the stereotype.

The reissues have so little relevance now, fans appear to be angry at their loyalty. I have never observed such a crisis of faith for Morrissey followers. His recent terrestrial television appearances here in the UK have shown him candid and unguarded, and some of his less popular opinions are clumsily explained rather than slipped out in a crafted half-joke. His recent lyrics [YOR] have not felt laboured like the odd one did from his mid 90's days, but sometimes seem to be emotional clipart. He is an aging artist, and reflecting with the same clarity that created countless unique stories and poems in songs.

Do people here feel obliged to buy these products because they want to support Morrissey and his band? Do you think that he, personally, will detect any negativity from people who have such high expectations for everything that he does? Do these releases damage the love that people have for him, and lesson his importance in their lives?

Maybe Roy's Keen was too throwaway, and Papa Jack's central metaphor too obvious. What do people as longterm fans feel about these two discs?

Is Moz considering his retirement? Are these releases contriibutions to his future savings [you never know when a lawsuit may arrive]? Has he revealed his motives for them in depth at all?

I bought both albums when living in France several years ago, along with Kill Uncle and the original CD issue of Viva Hate. I listened to them both, in full, many times over. In my opinion, Southpaw Grammar has a great variety of topics on it, but Maladjusted has so much more personal depth on display. The title alone relishes in the wrongful understanding of Morrissey's output by the critics, and at the same time, lives up the stereotype.

The reissues have so little relevance now, fans appear to be angry at their loyalty. I have never observed such a crisis of faith for Morrissey followers. His recent terrestrial television appearances here in the UK have shown him candid and unguarded, and some of his less popular opinions are clumsily explained rather than slipped out in a crafted half-joke. His recent lyrics [YOR] have not felt laboured like the odd one did from his mid 90's days, but sometimes seem to be emotional clipart. He is an aging artist, and reflecting with the same clarity that created countless unique stories and poems in songs.

Do people here feel obliged to buy these products because they want to support Morrissey and his band? Do you think that he, personally, will detect any negativity from people who have such high expectations for everything that he does? Do these releases damage the love that people have for him, and lesson his importance in their lives?

Maybe Roy's Keen was too throwaway, and Papa Jack's central metaphor too obvious. What do people as longterm fans feel about these two discs?

I have been very harsh of my criticism of Moz as he is now, I thought YoR was pretty weak and he seems to have lost a lot of his 'charm' of late.

However, these two reissues are really exciting me. Having listened to the unheard demos from Southpaw Grammar they really remind me of the Moz I love. 'You Should Have Been Nice To Me' and 'Honey You Know Where To Find Me' the best two Morrissey songs I've heard for quite a while and I already love them.

As for Maladjusted, while it contains no new tracks the effort put into the liner notes etc are genuinely interesting to me (perhaps the thing I was most excited about since they were announced), and would quite happily go out and buy Legacy Editions of all Morrissey's previous albums. In fact, I'd love that.

Morrissey is in danger of becoming, at least to my eyes, one of those artists who are much more interesting in interviews than they are musically (think Boy George and Noel Gallagher). I really, really don't want this to happen but it seems Morrissey's constant schedule of touring and studio time have left him little time to gather his creative juices.
As nice as it is to have constant new stuff, I strongly feel he needs a few years off to get his head back together and release some amazing new material....in the meantime we'll take the Legacy Editions with extensive notes ;)

Does he owe you money?:)

Seriously I'm a long-standing fan but am only attending 2 or 3 gigs in the UK this May (including the big one) which is 2 more than some other fans but still. The new LP is wholly mediocre and I have stopped listening to it which, for me, is unheard of with a Morrissey release. And shock I didn't even bother purchasing it!?! I thought Ringleaders was a real revelatory LP for Moz and took him out of his comfort zone both lyrically and somewhat musically

With Southpaw though I will be purchasing the reissue for the 3 extra tracks and to see how this revisionism sounds (ie new tracklisting, exquisute packaging by the sounds of it) and to read some personal liner notes. Plus the fact I don't have it on record anymore (only on a purchased cassette withering away in a shoebox somewhere)

Maladjusted I willl not be bothering with. You can't make silk etc etc

As a long-term fan I think the end is nigh. For a few years. And, as everybody else is doing it, Morrissey and Marr will get back together for a 30 yr anniversary tour or something rather crass like that. Why on earth not? This is the way of the world now

I like Honey...a lot, even though the vocals are a little half-hearted at points. Fantastic Bird is a real rough cut, but it has bollocks. You Should Have Been Nice To Me seems to address one particular important person. Time has passed, and in the same way that he now sees fit to give a UK release to Sorrow Will Come In The End, I think Moz now feels it's time to give this song an airing. I think this is the song which is most complete. And of course it was there on the Miraval reel all the time, but then again, so was Laughing Anne, and I don't think that ever had vocals, if it was finished at all.

Peter

I see. I still don't understand the difference. I just got my copies about 10 minutes ago! :)

well, I also don't understand it but nevermind. SG reissue is much more important. Just listening and it sounds absolutely great!

Glad to hear that you have got it now too!

Having downloaded it as I wanted to listen to the new songs (I will be buying it oh custodians of moral virtue...) it takes me back to 1995. Is this the point?

Sitting there in my mates house on acid listening to The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils writing "to be finished would be a relief" all over the sofa! Not realising the ink was permanent. Ho hum.....
Them was rotten days indeed.

Maybe the nostalgia makes this release exciting for me. More than the recent LP. Does anyone who purchased this album in 95 also have wistful memories when listening?

This album was brilliant the way it was. The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils and Southpaw were the perfect bookends for this record similar to I Wanna Be Adored and I Am the Resurrection were for the Roses s/t. Now they sound horribly out of place.

Like others suggested, this should have been a two disc collection. First disc the original SG remastered track listing in order (with the original artwork intact) and the second disc should have been rarities and studio outtakes.

Re-issue ! Re-package ! Re-package
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra Track (and a tacky badge) :head-smack:

Does anyone know why the remastered/expanded Maladjusted is not available on itunes? :mad:

It is. I'm using iTunes Austria and it's definitely there.

iSouth.jpg

btw: nice package!

Yes, being the sucker I am, I just downloaded Southpaw from iTunes, and was surprised to see the videos for Dagenham Dave and Roy Racer on there, as well as a live version of London (presumably the Boy Racer b-side), and the digital booklet. All very nice, very nice.

Peter

P.S Oh, and Billy Budd too, from the Boy Racer b-side.

Last edited:
This album was brilliant the way it was. The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils and Southpaw were the perfect bookends for this record similar to I Wanna Be Adored and I Am the Resurrection were for the Roses s/t. Now they sound horribly out of place.

Like others suggested, this should have been a two disc collection. First disc the original SG remastered track listing in order (with the original artwork intact) and the second disc should have been rarities and studio outtakes.

Re-issue ! Re-package ! Re-package
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra Track (and a tacky badge) :head-smack:

Hmmm SG can't really be mentioned in the same breath as The Stone Roses! I find the positioning of the last two tracks work very well myself (on this new SG) "You Should Have Been Nice to Me" is exquisite, and we all know how good Nobody Loves Us is.. come on Moz give your reissues a promotion on the UK tour (I would verily wet my pants if he did Nobody Loves Us!)

Portentuous prog-rock in the middle of an album though... hmmm YES we can!

I agree with you about the Roses album..I was just giving the example that if you put those two songs (ressurection and adored) anywhere else in the album (similiar to what happened with teachers and southpaw), it just doesnt have the same effect.

Hmmm SG can't really be mentioned in the same breath as The Stone Roses! I find the positioning of the last two tracks work very well myself (on this new SG) "You Should Have Been Nice to Me" is exquisite, and we all know how good Nobody Loves Us is.. come on Moz give your reissues a promotion on the UK tour (I would verily wet my pants if he did Nobody Loves Us!)

Portentuous prog-rock in the middle of an album though... hmmm YES we can!

Tags
linernotes southpaw
Back
Top Bottom