Which words do you think are correct?

• Joy

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • Join

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

johnnymunro

Southpaw Lyrics

This is something which has bothered me for years - I'd like all of your opinions on it.

The lyrics for the song Southpaw start off (according to every website I've seen) as;

"You were a boy before you became a man
I don't see the joy"

I've always thought it was possible that the word Joy could well be Join? It fit's in with the song and certainly sounds like it to me.

Any opinions to help satisfy a particularly pedantic Morrissey fan?!?

Cheers.

Last edited:
This is something which has bothered me for years - I'd like all of your opinions on it.

The lyrics for the song Southpaw Grammar start off (according to every website I've seen) as;

"You were a boy before you became a man
I don't see the joy"

I've always thought it was possible that the word Joy could well be Join? It fit's in with the song and certainly sounds like it to me.

Any opinions to help satisfy a particularly pedantic Morrissey fan?!?

Cheers.

100% joy, although you have put doubts into my fragile head

100% Joy. Join? It would make more sense if he said "Joint." Maybe he wants to see the man's "joint?" I hope it's circumsized.

Sorry to disagree, but it sounds, and always did do, like "Join" to me (although the whole album sounds like he had a cold), and to me that makes more sense, trying to mark the transition between being a boy and being a man, but not seeing the join, and hence, the protagonist is still at heart a boy, hence "...and you ran back to Ma, which set the pace for the rest of your days". Also, to me, the "Girl of your dreams" is his mother - she was here all along. Beautifully autobiographical.

Peter

Sorry to disagree, but it sounds, and always did do, like "Join" to me (although the whole album sounds like he had a cold), and to me that makes more sense, trying to mark the transition between being a boy and being a man, but not seeing the join, and hence, the protagonist is still at heart a boy, hence "...and you ran back to Ma, which set the pace for the rest of your days". Also, to me, the "Girl of your dreams" is his mother - she was here all along. Beautifully autobiographical.

Peter

Interesting. I did a quick search and this site thinks it is join as well.
southpaw lyrics

Last edited:
Thanks Uncleskinny for your lone voice of agreement! You've hit the nail on the head as far as I can see ie the transition.

vicarinatutugal - You're absolutely right. It is called Southpaw.

Thanks.

Thanks Uncleskinny for your lone voice of agreement! You've hit the nail on the head as far as I can see ie the transition.

vicarinatutugal - You're absolutely right. It is called Southpaw.

Thanks.

well you have interested me Johnny, and Peter actually, I have listened to this song more than is probably healthy and never thought of it as anything but joy, going to have to have a few more listens. :D

Hi Peter - long time!

I always thought it was "joy" because Moz has always disliked and disassociated himself from his childhood and from being a boy. So he is much happier as a man that can choose for himself and not be told what to do.

I don't think I can lose either way!

If it's join, then I'm a smarta*&e because most of the other websites are wrong!

If it's Joy, then I would feel I've written ONE better word than Morrissey! (In my opinion!)

Easy way to find out for certain. If the lyrics are printed in a book (like Rogan or Goddard's), then you can be guaranteed those are the proper lyrics. The authors need permission to print the lyrics from whoever owns them. Same goes for the music. You can't simply print up the music and sell it. You need permission.

it's "joy"- there's no doubt. it's perfectly and plainly audible.

ican see the thinking behind the reach for it being "join," but it's a little weak and it's clearly not "join."

Did the vinyl version of Southpaw Grammar come with a lyric sheet? Can anyone who has it take a look please?

Peter

Did the vinyl version of Southpaw Grammar come with a lyric sheet? Can anyone who has it take a look please?

Peter

My vinyl only has lyrics to 'The Teachers Are Afraid...'

I am going with 'joy' though - referring to he doesn't see the happiness or fondness for childhoold?

He hangs on the word "joy" for a while, drawing it out. There is not a "rest" and it blends with the next word "and" which he pronouces sort of blurring the "a" sound at the start so it sounds sort of like "un" blending the "d" with the next word "you"
I don't see the joy-un-d'you ran

Back
Top Bottom