"Southpaw Grammar" alternative page design posted by lsd_studio_london / Instagram

66C4A28C-BE88-4A25-9245-68D435E0D9C7.jpeg
237D0D99-4939-4C55-B9E0-EB53404F73F6.jpeg
84F184F4-A2F8-4BBE-BC12-D71AF653DB3E.jpeg

Has this been posted on here? I don’t check much beyond the main page headlines. Not since the demise of Carlisle Baz.

Last edited by a moderator:
if this was meant to be the cover, then only thing I would change on that is M instead of SM. Apart from that, the whole thing is fire as feck M was crazy putting out that cheap-ass lp over this one .
It should have been M and SG and this layout. Ir would have looked fire AF
What happened to Carlisle Baz?

The horizontal line reminds me of New Order‘s “Get Ready” cover.

if this was meant to be the cover, then only thing I would change on that is M instead of SM. Apart from that, the whole thing is fire as feck M was crazy putting out that cheap-ass lp over this one .
It should have been M and SG and this layout. Ir would have looked fire AF
What happened to Carlisle Baz?
It wasn't meant to be the cover of the album. They're talking about the page design for the inner booklet that came with the vinyl issue.

are the cuts on his arm meant to be self harming,he should have kept the tattoo.

I love SG. All of it. Even the altenative page design.
I wish he had stayed in his mid-thirties forever.

Last edited:
are the cuts on his arm meant to be self harming,he should have kept the tattoo.
That was part of Morrissey's 'tough guy' persona back in the 90s, as I'm sure you remember. The whole pugilist influence in his life at the time brought us bandages on the face, and arm/hand/face 'scratches'. I don't think it's meant to reflect 'self-harm' at all, rather that he was scrapping in the alley before the photoshoot!

Southpaw Grammar is seriously one of his finest albums.

Hammerhead Pop
Fake Scars
Intimate lyrics about the ex-employee/lover/brother
Progressiv long tracks
School of hard knocks
Rebellion against Bowie

Morrisey was wilde & firing on all 12 cylinders in 1995.

Last edited:
The black and white pic with the orange, kinda reminds
me of the Madvillain cover.

416uFuXmEOL._SY580_.jpg

Morrissey does really like that orange color. It reminds me of Penguin Books in general, and now List of the Lost too. I like how Morrissey keeps things looking classic. I even like the < STEREO > icon on his recent album covers/media (I mean...OF COURSE IT'S IN STEREO!) - but it's nostalgic that he puts that on there. It shows that he still cares about the way those things are presented.

One thing I've always loved about Morrissey is that though he pines for a world that has changed, he enjoys giving us (with the stage imagery, album/single covers both Smiths and solo, lyrics, etc.) pieces of his life from the past, things he has always held special. A view from his own world, and he's been honest with us about it.

Last edited:
From back when Morrissey still gave a shit about his records' aesthetics...

It seems that this is actually when he started caring less. I think Quarry and ROTT may be the last good ones where he really involved himself.

That was part of Morrissey's 'tough guy' persona back in the 90s, as I'm sure you remember. The whole pugilist influence in his life at the time brought us bandages on the face, and arm/hand/face 'scratches'. I don't think it's meant to reflect 'self-harm' at all, rather that he was scrapping in the alley before the photoshoot!

Southpaw Grammar is seriously one of his finest albums.

Morrissey’s struggle to move away from the image/persona that both he cultivated and was pigeonholed by the press as since The Smiths days.

Not only was this transformation reflected in his image but also in his lyric where we find it today.

It seems that this is actually when he started caring less. I think Quarry and ROTT may be the last good ones where he really involved himself.
Ringleader and Refusal are the last professional looking covers IMO. World Peas seems to be the beginning of the end to me...

Ringleader and Refusal are the last professional looking covers IMO. World Peas seems to be the beginning of the end to me...

Definitely. Ringleader and Refusal were professionally done. World Peace had an original photo superimposed over an entirely different backdrop.

I liked the alternate violin ROTT cover as well:

I think they used one of these with a yellow font on the cover. Is that right @Famous when dead? Posted on TTY somewhere, I think? Having trouble finding that earlier mockup.

Attachments

• ROTT.png
    ROTT.png
    532 KB · Views: 0
Morrissey does really like that orange color. It reminds me of Penguin Books in general, and now List of the Lost too. I like how Morrissey keeps things looking classic. I even like the < STEREO > icon on his recent album covers/media (I mean...OF COURSE IT'S IN STEREO!) - but it's nostalgic that he puts that on there. It shows that he still cares about the way those things are presented.

One thing I've always loved about Morrissey is that though he pines for a world that has changed, he enjoys giving us (with the stage imagery, album/single covers both Smiths and solo, lyrics, etc.) pieces of his life from the past, things he has always held special. A view from his own world, and he's been honest with us about it.

Yep, Moz does kinda like the color orange.
I believe at one point, there was orange vinyl for World Peace.
Let's hear'em use orange in a rhyme though.
That's what I'm waitin' on.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom