"Southpaw Grammar" alternative page design posted by lsd_studio_london / Instagram

66C4A28C-BE88-4A25-9245-68D435E0D9C7.jpeg
237D0D99-4939-4C55-B9E0-EB53404F73F6.jpeg
84F184F4-A2F8-4BBE-BC12-D71AF653DB3E.jpeg

Has this been posted on here? I don’t check much beyond the main page headlines. Not since the demise of Carlisle Baz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely. Ringleader and Refusal were professionally done. World Peace had an original photo superimposed over an entirely different backdrop.

I liked the alternate violin ROTT cover as well:

I think they used one of these with a yellow font on the cover. Is that right @Famous when dead? Posted on TTY somewhere, I think? Having trouble finding that earlier mockup.
Will have a look.
The Humoresque / Garfield pose rings a bell.
I believe Lavino suggested cover outtakes here too:
FWD.

Will have a look.
The Humoresque / Garfield pose rings a bell.
I believe Lavino suggested cover outtakes here too:
FWD.

It basically looks like the final ROTT cover, except the font is yellow and he's holding the violin at a slightly different angle.

It basically looks like the final ROTT cover, except the font is yellow and he's holding the violin at a slightly different angle.
Yes, but don't forget the UK & US versions have different right hand positions too.
FWD.

Yes, but don't forget the UK & US versions have different right hand positions too.
FWD.
The one I'm referring to actually looked more like an early prototype image; much different to the final sleeve. I tried looking at TTY archive.org results but nothing has come up yet. I'm about 70% sure that's where I found it years ago.

That was part of Morrissey's 'tough guy' persona back in the 90s, as I'm sure you remember. The whole pugilist influence in his life at the time brought us bandages on the face, and arm/hand/face 'scratches'. I don't think it's meant to reflect 'self-harm' at all, rather that he was scrapping in the alley before the photoshoot!

Southpaw Grammar is seriously one of his finest albums.
Yeah it wasn't self harm at all. It was harm done to the self by others as in the school of hard knocks inflicted by the school staff perhaps? This pic comes to mind.

1671492432124.png

I like that image but I always thought this would have been best for the cover. One of the other Rankin photos where he's pointing to his chin would have been a great choice for the "Dagenham Dave" single.

This image was used as the photo accompanying the Southpaw review in Q and as a program cover for the Japan tour in December 1995.

1671582860412.png

Last edited:

The one I'm referring to actually looked more like an early prototype image; much different to the final sleeve. I tried looking at TTY archive.org results but nothing has come up yet. I'm about 70% sure that's where I found it years ago.

Just in case anyone interested, as discussed with Ryan, I found this image in the 2006 gallery. Didn't find any other info on it and I don't recall why it was added:

full

I knew I wasn't mad.

I like that image but I always thought this would have been best for the cover. One of the other Rankin photos where he's pointing to his chin would have been a great choice for the "Dagenham Dave" single.

It was used as the photo accompanying the Southpaw review in Q and as a program cover for the Japan tour in December 1995.

View attachment 87217
I have a T Shirt with that pic on the front. The image goes all the way to the hem and has "Do your best and don't worry" on the back near the neck.

Just in case anyone interested, as discussed with Ryan, I found this image in the 2006 gallery. Didn't find any other info on it and I don't recall why it was added:

full
Further findings:

posted on HMV's site Jan. 25, 2006:

Then shortly after the actual cover on Jan. 27, 2006:

^ Awesome sleuthing @davidt. Just wish a high quality version could be located!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom