South America tour cancelled due to lack of funding - Morrissey statement at true-to-you.net

Re: TTY Update: If I by chance your eye offend you

I sincerly hope Morrissey will play live again when he is perfectly fit and well.

I'll patiently wait for his recovery.

Re: Article: South America tour cancelled due to lack of funding - Morrissey statement at true-to-yo

Well, I´ve just heard that the series of cancelation announcements were a marketing strategy to increase the search for tickets...

Re: Article: South America tour cancelled due to lack of funding - Morrissey statement at true-to-yo

This is the second time I tried to see Morrissey, but couldn't.
First was in Benicassim Festival, near Valencia, Spain, in 2004, 30 min before the concert they announced he couldn't make it.

Now, in São Paulo, Brazil, I got the best ticket possible (around 150 euros), I wanted to be the closest to the stage, and sing along all his lovely songs. Again, another disappointment.

I start to think this is something personal. :(

When I want to see Morrissey I tend to just call the hospital and find out their visiting hours.

Actually, the Housman poem is a cover version of a song from the Bible.

Yes - you're right. Matthew 18:9

(according to New American Bible St. Joseph edition, Catholic Book Publishing Co.)

Rhymes with Ste-Mo ! Remember him ? "He goes where he is needed" Well not anymore he doesn't he's lost all his super powers and the wheels are finally off the covered Ste-Mo-wagon-mobile !
Ste-Mo to zero what a rubbish super hero he turned out to be !

BtB

lack of funding?

if he wanted to do the shows, the funding would be found, by fair means or foul.

Why doesn't the silly old man apply for national lottery funding :head-smack:

I saw him at a Trayvon Martin rally in LA. He looked pissed.

Pissed = Angry or pissed-up=Drunk ?

Wasn't it found in the legal case that the partnership extended to Rourke and Joyce as well? (and thus, in the absence of a contract, they were entitled to an equal share as equal partners per the act, songwriting aside of course which is separate). Wasn't Morrissey very angry about the case being decided by the victorian-era Partnership Act? I'm no legal eagle but I seem to remember something along these lines.

The court case did find that, but the implication would be only that Mike has rights as a partner - in Andy's case it will depend on what he signed when he accepted his settlement. I don't think having been a partner automatically gives you a right of veto over the name, though.

If both Andy and Mike dug their heels in objecting to Moz & Marr using the name 'The Smiths' then #possibly# it might make things difficult - but even 50% of the band isn't a majority, and I really can't see Andy kicking up a fuss against his old friend Johnny, even if for whatever reason he wasn't involved. IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN ANYWAY. But if it did - I'm sure Andy would be there.

Surely a budget, even a very simple one, would have been put together to calculate the cost of the overheads.

Morrissey is the queen of blowouts. Colours are reportedly $30,000 out of pocket thanks to Moz already this tour. If YOU were a promotor would you really pay in advance for tour 'overheads', band transportation, 5 star hotels etc knowing there's a very good chance Moz going to cancel and fly back to LA before the gigs take place anyway, because he's ill, or his band is ill, or his mum's ill, or the venue sells meat, or Boz forgot his passport, or the bass player got a burrito in the eye? If so - you are a VERY brave man.

The court case did find that, but the implication would be only that Mike has rights as a partner - in Andy's case it will depend on what he signed when he accepted his settlement. I don't think having been a partner automatically gives you a right of veto over the name, though.

As an aside Dale Hibbert (who now has two mentions today) recalls...

"Over the next couple of weeks, we discussed the bands image.

Although I used the term “we”, It was made clear that The Smiths were S[tephen] & J[ohnny] only. That any contracts would reflect this, and I would assume the role of a more traditional bass player."

http://dalehibbert.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/addressing-balance-my-recollections-of_20.html

All moot now because of the judgement, but interesting.

No Dale Hibbert = no Smiths. The reunion cannot possibly happen without him.

Why doesn't the silly old man apply for national lottery funding :head-smack:

Why doesn't he call up Amanda Palmer and jump on the crowd sourcing idea? I think he wants things to end this way. Morrissey has many resources at his disposal, but he can't be pushed to use any of them effectively. It's easier for him to lay blame on the forces beyond his control than to take responsibility for his own failed tour.

I saw him at a Trayvon Martin rally in LA. He looked pissed.

Was that the one today? Do he look ok?

It must suck for him, not saying it doesn't. He wouldn't enjoy having to say sorry constantly, it's like making that horrible call to work saying you're sick right after you've already had a week off for being sick. It sucks for him, it sucks for the fans that missed out. But, he doesn't seem to be doing himself any favours. For god's sake the world has moved on and financing your own album and releasing it, or using band camp or whatever is a truly acceptable way of releasing music in 2013. You don't need to hold out for a big label to hold your hand, swallow your damn pride. Or better yet, that Marr guy who seems to be doing well off the back of his solo album and big festival shows might be worth talking to. Probably a couple of quid to be made partnering up with him for a world tour.

Moz, Marr, Boz, Marr's drummer and bass player, market it as "Morrissey and Marr" and go swim in your money.

Or, you know, sit at home in front of the internet and feel sorry for yourself. It's a pretty bloody nice problem to have coming from the point of view of a poor pleb student's point of view.

'Morrissey and Marr' wouldn't sell half the tickets that 'The Smiths' would. That's just the general public for you.

If both Andy and Mike dug their heels in objecting to Moz & Marr using the name 'The Smiths' then #possibly# it might make things difficult - but even 50% of the band isn't a majority, and I really can't see Andy kicking up a fuss against his old friend Johnny, even if for whatever reason he wasn't involved. IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN ANYWAY. But if it did - I'm sure Andy would be there.

Morrissey is the queen of blowouts. Colours are reportedly $30,000 out of pocket thanks to Moz already this tour. If YOU were a promotor would you really pay in advance for tour 'overheads', band transportation, 5 star hotels etc knowing there's a very good chance Moz going to cancel and fly back to LA before the gigs take place anyway, because he's ill, or his band is ill, or his mum's ill, or the venue sells meat, or Boz forgot his passport, or the bass player got a burrito in the eye? If so - you are a VERY brave man.

Is Morrissey the modern highwayman Robin Hood on the rob with his so called 'band' of merry man and maid Martin ?

I predict that Moz will keep doing music until he dies because he is obsessed with music. I suggested doing an intervention and getting him to try other hobbies so that he doesn't jeopardize his health with his music addiction, but I guess people don't like that idea. Since Moz has produced so much great music, I ask nothing more of him other than for him to keep living and sharing his witty commentary. I just want to be his friend. He is my imaginary friend. :)

This statement almost made me cry.
The final line: "I shall see you in my dreams" just pushed me over the edge.
I will be so sad if this is the final curtain, I always thought he would go on forever but it seems all good things have to come to an end.

I can feel the heartache seeping through the computer screen, he must be so cut up about the whole thing.
I wish you all the very best Morrissey.
I love you just as much now as I did then and always will.

Come back to us in the UK, we need you!
X

It must suck for him, not saying it doesn't. He wouldn't enjoy having to say sorry constantly, it's like making that horrible call to work saying you're sick right after you've already had a week off for being sick. It sucks for him, it sucks for the fans that missed out. But, he doesn't seem to be doing himself any favours. For god's sake the world has moved on and financing your own album and releasing it, or using band camp or whatever is a truly acceptable way of releasing music in 2013. You don't need to hold out for a big label to hold your hand, swallow your damn pride. Or better yet, that Marr guy who seems to be doing well off the back of his solo album and big festival shows might be worth talking to. Probably a couple of quid to be made partnering up with him for a world tour.

Moz, Marr, Boz, Marr's drummer and bass player, market it as "Morrissey and Marr" and go swim in your money.

Or, you know, sit at home in front of the internet and feel sorry for yourself. It's a pretty bloody nice problem to have coming from the point of view of a poor pleb student's point of view.

"Or better yet, that Marr guy who seems to be doing well off the back of his solo album and big festival shows might be worth talking to."
that Marr guy
Pokey you are a typical ignorant thick American arsehole ! "That Marr guy"!!!!!!!!!! F O !!

C untybrains

It's apologise not that awful American apologize.

And there's always Strictly Come Dancing

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom