South America tour cancelled due to lack of funding - Morrissey statement at true-to-you.net

Re: TTY Update: If I by chance your eye offend you

I sincerly hope Morrissey will play live again when he is perfectly fit and well.

I'll patiently wait for his recovery.

Re: Article: South America tour cancelled due to lack of funding - Morrissey statement at true-to-yo

Well, well, well. Oh poor Morrissey!

So, only recently he was going to be singing for a long time, and now he is done. Can you say drama queen? Diva?

Instead of playing himself as the poor victim, why not apologize like a man?

It has always been about him.

I am so happy I had the opportunity to see/hear Morrissey in Albany and Waterbury. He was, as always, exceptional and phenomenal. Please take care of yourself and ignore the nay sayers. Only you can take care of you. Hope that good health returns to you and yours. Eagerly awaiting the Hollywood High DVD and your autobiography.

Re: Article: South America tour cancelled due to lack of funding - Morrissey statement at true-to-yo

"the sensible solution seems to be the art of doing nothing."

Alternatively, one could reply to Johnny's mails and see where that takes you - whilst I have no real affinity with bands like U2, the Rolling Stones, Stone Roses etc I can see that they all have bona fida musicianship which you appear to think comes second to "the voice" these days - it certainly doesn't for me or the record companies it seems...

Milk a reunion for all it's worth (you've earned it baby!) - top up your retirement fund, use the money to record/release a new solo album if you please (new writers preferably), give money to the charities you believe in, heal old wounds/friendships and get some artistic respect back by playing with real musicians once again.

In reality, I half expect new UK dates to be announced this time next week and you'll be off (trudging) down the well beaten track once again - but it really doesn't have to be that way...

I refused to be drawn in the last time Morrissey played the "only UK gig" at the Manchester arena last time round (when he then trucked up to Edinburgh a couple of days later) Because I didn't want to remember him being desperate in his home town with his guitary-oke band. So I won't be queuing up to see him if UK dates follow.

"Le f***ed" for sure now Johnny.

Benny-the-Butcher

Just to make things more and more strange I read in local news about the cancellation and the article confirms that the promoters did not issue any statement until now and that yesterday, friday 19th, same day that Morrissey issued his statement, Tickets for Fun begun the accreditation process for journalist who would cover the gigs... So, I don't think the promoters may have something to do. At this point I dunno if their losses wouldn't be higher if the shows not going on...

A Shropshire Lad (1896)
by A. E. Housman

XLV. If it chance your eye offend you

If it chance your eye offend you,
Pluck it out, lad, and be sound:
’Twill hurt, but here are salves to friend you,
And many a balsam grows on ground.

And if your hand or foot offend you,
Cut it off, lad, and be whole;
But play the man, stand up and end you,
When your sickness is your soul.

Thanks for this, mcspyke77. Kept me up 20 minutes trying to figure it out in my brain before I gave up and went to sleep. :D

I know my two cents means nothing, but what he needs to do is...

+ Focus on recording an economically-sound LP with 3 1/2-minute gems (not these sprawling. politically-charged 5-minute orchestrated epics.)
+ Bring back Alain, at the very least, let him and Boz return to main songwriting duties.
+ Bury the hatchets and record with a tried and true producer (such as Lillywhite, Street, or Langer & Winstanley). Hell, give Ed Buller a shot.
+ Then tour short weekend-long residencies in a limited amount of major market theaters. Less is more--fans will pay a higher price if the dates are scarce and the venues are mid-sized.

He's just not fit for the over ambitious world tours anymore and there must be new songs--these Greatest Hits set lists are sadly predictable and uninspiring.

Simon Wolstencraft played on a couple of demos but according to Johnny Marr declined to join the band because he didn't like Morrissey's voice. He was never in the Smiths.

When they played their first show it was Morrissey, Marr, Joyce and Rourke.

It was Dale Hibbert on bass and James Maker doing backing vocals.

It's very unlikely that Morrissey has gone bust and, even if he had, he would have other options before stooping to reform the Smiths.

I am so happy I had the opportunity to see/hear Morrissey in Albany and Waterbury. He was, as always, exceptional and phenomenal. Please take care of yourself and ignore the nay sayers. Only you can take care of you. Hope that good health returns to you and yours. Eagerly awaiting the Hollywood High DVD and your autobiography.

"Autobiography" ! Your having a laugh aren't you ? :laughing::guffaw: Written by Morrissey himself ?
If its written in the style of his last two statements it will be a disaster just like him and his tin-pot tour at the moment.

That book will never se the light of day because it hasn't even been written.

Autobiography ! :rofl:

Rest. (w)Rite. Return.

Thanks for this, mcspyke77. Kept me up 20 minutes trying to figure it out in my brain before I gave up and went to sleep. :D

Actually, the Housman poem is a cover version of a song from the Bible.

I very much hope he hasn't. He's done enough for British music to deserve a very comfortable lifestyle.

I suppose we might find out soon just who constitutes a Smith. After all these years I'm delighted to see it is suddenly a controversial subject.

a smiths reunion is never going to happen

maybe time away from the band and their other side projects may mean new songwriting people coming in which would be a good thing

he needs to release his autobio - do some more charming tv interviews (like Victoria woods cup of tea) - more good press - smaller tours in larger venues don't go flying off half way around the world to sing to a 1000 people 4 nights a week with constant travelling etc keep it simple

boz is a good friend and colleague who's seen the best and worst times of everything Morrissey over the last 20 years - he should be giving some solid advice to moz

watch johnnys glasto performance lol see how much he and the audience enjoy the smiths songs - time is getting on now and there's no doubt this is a very low point for moz but if him and johnny were ever to collaborate again it would propel moz into the spotlight and he'd be in demand more than ever - if thats what he wants at 54 years old....

This truly is Morrissey's annus horribilis.

It's hard to read his words of discouragement and frustration. It has been a difficult year by anyones measure, but Morrissey is not one to passively sit back and let things pass him by. He will be back.

According to the web site Celebrity Net Worth, Morrissey is worth $32,000,000.00. Hardly a man on the verge of bankruptcy.

A Shropshire Lad (1896)
by A. E. Housman

XLV. If it chance your eye offend you

If it chance your eye offend you,
Pluck it out, lad, and be sound:
’Twill hurt, but here are salves to friend you,
And many a balsam grows on ground.

And if your hand or foot offend you,
Cut it off, lad, and be whole;
But play the man, stand up and end you,
When your sickness is your soul.

In every country and city
There are those who dwell in self-pity,
Wailing and moaning, railing and groaning,
And hoping that someone sees
Their senseless miseries.

I tell them,
Step off from the sad and the bad,
Step back from the sunken gloom;
Let nothing defeat your dream,
You're better than you seem.

Give Joy a chance to dance,
Give Love a new romance,
But mostly give to you
The strength to see things through.

Don't depend on another,
Be your own great big brother;
Stand up, stand unafraid,
And you will make the grade.

For when self-pity dies
Self-enjoyment flies.

Benny-the-butcher

"Autobiography" ! Your having a laugh aren't you ? :laughing::guffaw: Written by Morrissey himself ?
If its written in the style of his last two statements it will be a disaster just like him and his tin-pot tour at the moment.

That book will never se the light of day because it hasn't even been written.

Autobiography ! :rofl:

Straight A's for your use of icons, but your message is shit. Go f*** yourself, troll.

I very much hope he hasn't. He's done enough for British music to deserve a very comfortable lifestyle.

I suppose we might find out soon just who constitutes a Smith. After all these years I'm delighted to see it is suddenly a controversial subject.

If a reform happens it has to be the original line up. And NEVER go anywhere near America again, Morrissey's ruination.
And Julia and all the nutters can sling their hook as well.

A Coates

I fear it's over. Morrissey is truly sad - as I never seen in many years. Of course he's still ill and disappointed with his recent cancellation and personal problems.
The only thing we can do is to wait he gets well.

With his health on the wane, what he #should# do is stay at home for a couple of years, and concentrate on recording an album - only he's priced himself out of the major label markets and refuses to sign for an indie for less.

I think realistically, at this point he has only two options:
#1 - do a David Bowie, and dissappear from view for several years until the public are DESPERATE to see him again, and he rolls into the successful 'comeback' on a wave of goodwill (much as happenned with You Are The Quarry).

#2 - bury the hatchet and get back with Johnny Marr, who has obviously been holding out something of an olive brance over the last couple of years. It doesn't have to be a tacky 'greatest hits of the Smiths' Coachella reunion etc - if they got back together to do a NEW album the world would still go nuts. Moz's stock would rise and labels would be more interested in offering more to support his solo career. We all know Johnny likes to keep moving, so it wouldn't have to be the constant full-on madness of the Smiths that drove them apart in the first place. In a perfect world, where Morrissey doesn't have a chip on his shoulder, I'd love for Moz and Marr to get together to do something every few years, then go their seperate ways to do their own records/tours in between. They would both benefit hugely. But alas, I can't ever seeing Moz admitting he needs Johnny...even though he clearly does.

Of course, option #3 is that he never releases another new record, and next year the endless solo nostlgia tour continues to drag along in in spits and spurts and cancellations until his health finally gives out - but that really doesn't bare thinking about.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom