Soundchecks / Instrumentals

Discussion in 'Downloads / Bootlegs archive (read-only)' started by DavidA, Oct 8, 2006.

1. DavidA

DavidA Junior Member

From time to time I hear of people asking for instrumental versions of Smiths tracks. There's quite a few karaoke versions of varying quality but little recorded by the Smiths themselves.

If anyone's interested, blameless seeded a couple of nice Smiths soundchecks which include instrumentals (of sorts).
    http://www.smithstorrents.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550

2. Practising Troublemaker

Practising Troublemaker Banned

Can this go on MegaUplaod, torrents dont work for me

3. deathfornoreason

deathfornoreason Raincoated lover

Seconded. If anyone can up it on Megaupload, that would be great!

4. Lizardson

Lizardson Junior Member

5. Practising Troublemaker

Practising Troublemaker Banned

cheers

6. Uncleskinny

Uncleskinny It's all good Premium

Fantastic. The most interesting thing by far for me is the Instrumentals on the Dundalk soundcheck. The song they play sounds nothing like any other Smiths song I've heard (well, possibly "Sheila Take A Bow", but even then it's a different structure). Could this be the unearthing of a forgotten/lost Smiths song, or is it something more obvious like a song "in work" that turned into something else? Goddard says that "Sheila" was recorded in January 1987, and this Dundalk gig was February 11th 1986, so it's possible this is an early version of the song - Johnny was renowned for practicing new songs in soundchecks. If not, then as far as I can tell, it is a diferrent song. EIther way, fantastic to hear.

Peter

7. deathfornoreason

deathfornoreason Raincoated lover

Thanks a lot!

8. DavidA

DavidA Junior Member

Interesting.

All the instrumentals seem to be the same song. Sounds like an early (although more complex) version of Panic to me, which was recorded three months later. You can hear it at the beginning of Instrumental 3 and in the bassline at 03:43 in Instrumental 4.

9. Server NTLI

Server NTLI Member

hmm, I kind of agree, obviously the drums are same as panic, and I agree with you about the glimpse of the bass part being similar. But the core of the song isn't Panic, I guess Johnny scrapped the whole song, and panic was born out of the drum/bass idea with Rourke and Joyce), so in a way this probably is an unheard smiths song that I imagine Morrissey never heard and never got recorded. I Would be interested in hearing someone covering the tune and adding a vocal. (I will produce it if any budding artists out there want to give it a go!)

Also reminded me of Is It Really So strange, but only in the sense of the twanginess of it.

10. DavidA

DavidA Junior Member

Bass and drums are similar, plus lead guitar is similar at the start of Instrumental 3.

Goddard claims that Panic was lifted from T Rex's 'Metal Guru'. Perhaps if you heard that track it would give you some clues.

11. joevsw0rld

joevsw0rld Junior Member

thanks for this

12. blameless

blameless Member

Home Page:
    I was slightly puzzled by that instrumental too. I didn't list it as an 'undiscovered' Smiths song as I didn't want to get people's hopes up so if anyone can shed anymore light then feel free.

13. Stephane

Stephane Pashernate member

Home Page:
    I think this instrumental is an ancestor to "Panic". You can hear hints of T-Rex's "Metal Guru" and bits that were later used in "Panic". However from what we know "Panic" was written in April so between February and April the song had time to evolve. This would explain the parts that were lost.

Or if the instrumental is not a direct ancestor, i think parts were salvaged when Johnny wrote what would become "Panic".

Stephane

14. Uncleskinny

Uncleskinny It's all good Premium

I think that's probably right, although I agree with Mr Server NTLI about the Is It Really So Strange part, which I hadn't spotted before. It seems to me that this soundcheck song has been sliced up and used as the template for two or three songs. It's always fascinating to hear material like this.

Peter

15. Manic Rose

Manic Rose Girlfriend In A Coma

Home Page: