Sorry, Red Lightning sucks

So they're good because they sold 80+ million? If you dig Journey that's fine I guess. We all have our eccentricities. Next time you imitate Steve Perry in your mirror as you sing "Don't Stop Believing," I hope your thoughts will be towards the plight of the Cleveland Indians. I've not stopped believing. :)

Yes, if anyone sold 80 million records, that means they're good. Not toom many have done it, so yes, they are.

You say I'm jumping on bandwagons yet it was you peddling the Kaiser Chiefs. I'd take the Libertines over them any day.
I didn't "jump on any bandwagon", I simply said i liked that one song, which I still do. I've heard the entire disc, it's ok, nothing great.

There's nothing wrong with liking Van Halen as long as it's pre-Hagar.

Now you're talking...w/o Diamond Dave, VH sucks.

I was just plagiarizing Morrissey's review of 50 Cent when I asked if they were the greatest artists of our age. 50 Cent is better than Red Lightning. Why isn't Red Lightning opening for Morrissey? Or on his intro tape?

I'm not sure, you'll have to ask Morrissey that. 50 cent? please, now I know you';re dillusional.

Last edited:
he's bloated, is he allergic to something?

Theo said:
Now that you mention Johnny, it's interesting that The Healers have been viciously slammed here for 3 years. It's because one feels it's so under-achieving and un-ambitious, a feeling of "is that all there is" and "why's someone who's been so original now slumming it as a 2nd rate follower of Britpop"? And there as well Johnny Marr is a limited vocalist. Johnny has the right idea starting a band from scratch but IMO he should bring in a good female singer (female singers go well with his music). Yet, if Alain Whyte had done "Caught Up" (I use that song because it's a simple, unpretentious pop song) people on here would be saying how beautifully played and infectious it is. There's a higher standard for Marr than for Alain. With Alain it's like if your 17 year old cousin is fooling around in the garage on his first band and his family members wanna be supportive and encouraging. That's fine, but this is a public forum and not all of us are so nice. But then I've not been as mean as Pimp and WhyteGirl were to Jesse Tobias a few months back.

Jesse doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath musically and songwriting wise as Alain. Let him get a few more notches on his belt, before we go calling him the next great thing? Besides, from everything I've heard, Jesse is a real douche towards the fans, not cool. Alain is a real sweetheart of a guy.

I think Marr is laughable now w/the Healers. He certainly doesn't have the songwriting capabilities he did and once had w/the Smiths. Johnny hasn't done anything meaningful in music for years. Not to mention, his playing has lacked something for a number of years.

The harsh truth is, society as a whole "is not nice". You're right, you're entitiled to your opinions, whether i like them or not, but you have to go in with an open mind when you review something, I doubt you did with RL, and thats why I trashed you. I suggest you take this niceness towards you from me as a favor, and be thankful you got it at all. Don't cross me, or you see what happens.

BTW, as a whole, The Kaiser Chiefs album sucked. I dug the song "I predict a riot", for it's Ramones-esque like sound.

Last edited:
It's odd that people scratch their heads and wonder why none of Morrissey's collaborators ever achieve much when not working with him. Do people not see a common denominator here?

Of course you won't get the answer direct from his collaborators. It wouldn't be in their interests would it?

Look at the case of Johnny Marr. While in the Smiths he constantly said his reason for being in the band was to write. Yet he's spent many years since hardly writing a thing and just being happy to play guitar on other people's compositions.

Has Stephen Street ever written anything else since breaking with Morrissey?

I'm not saying that Morrissey hasn't worked with great musicians. In particular Johnny and Alain both have a fantastic way with melody. But perhaps Morrissey's ability to spot their good stuff and edit out their crap has a lot more to do with it than they will admit. Wasn't Johnny ready to ditch the Bigmouth riff until Morrissey heard it?

Also, Morrissey giving them directions on which records he wants them to rip off might have helped them ;)

poprenaissance said:
"Has Stephen Street ever written anything else since breaking with Morrissey?"

he's done a lot of stuff, especially with blur and graham coxon, who gives him an enormous amount of credit.

GREAT pop songwriter, imho.

He's actually written with them? I thought he just produced them.

Thanks for the link, I've had a listen and I'm afraid they sound a bit nondescript. I really don't think Alain is a lead singer. But then, these days I'm not really knocked out by many singers in "indie" bands. Very few of them are really distinctive.

Danny said:
Thanks for the link, I've had a listen and I'm afraid they sound a bit nondescript. I really don't think Alain is a lead singer. But then, these days I'm not really knocked out by many singers in "indie" bands. Very few of them are really distinctive.

This is not the first band he has been lead in, or for that matter, his first band, period.

I'm going to have to take Theo's side on this one. Yeah, I don't see anything special in Red Lightning. The lyrics are sub-par. I guess i'd still give them another chance by hearing their full-length album, but I don't think i'd spend more than ten bucks for it.

But don't give me this crap about having to play an instrument well in order to criticize other musicians. True, I willl probably take a heavier consideration from the opinions of people who have done it, just as i'll consider the opinions of Bas Rutten over Steve Cauldron, or Kenny Smith over Ernie whateverhisnamehappenstobe....If critics had to be experts-from-hands-on-experience in whatever they were talking about, we would have a bunch of people who either can't write or can't broadcast. Alain is a touchy subject around here and for good reason - he's a hell of a guy. I'll give him that. It doesn't mean I have to like his music (away) from Morrissey though.

Back
Top Bottom