songsthatmadeyousmile.com

Flax

I just created a website that features high-quality scans of most Smiths and Morrissey records.

So far, all images are from my personal collection, so there are a few that I don't have (yet)... Some records are missing because I just didn't have the time to photograph or scan them, but they will be up soon.

The cds and 7"s were scanned and 12"s were photographed. I don't have the proper equipment to photograph, but I think that most of them came out quite good.

The only problem is that there are nearly 400 images there, which adds up to 400MB, so I might be hammered with bandwidth costs. Hopefully not.

Also, if you have some rare Smiths/Moz record that is not featured on the site and you feel like you want to give it to me, I will love you forever :)

http://www.songsthatmadeyousmile.com

Flax, congrats on taking the site live. It's fantastic! I had no idea that the 12"es weren't scanned; they look just as great as the scanned 7"es and CDs. Did you add links for downloading all the art as one big zip file?

Ouch.

The 12"s do not fit on a regular scanner.... some of the back covers of 12"s were scanned in parts and them put together using photoshop.

The other challenge when it comes to 12"s is that lighting. I am not a photographer and do not have the proper equipment, so it was quite a dance to take these photos, mostly because some of the covers reflect the lights around it.

I haven't added a link to a zip file for all the covers because I'm afraid that that will increase the use of bandwidth at the moment... I have no idea of how the site will perform.. Maybe in a month or two.

If you want I can send you a zip file.

Flavio,

I don't know how much bandwidth you are allotted, but you will very likely exceed it. Don't bother putting everything together as one zip file. I am pretty sure someone here will do it and make the lot downloadable via Megaupload or Rapidshare, and that won't use your bandwidth.

Thanks again... as I've told you by email this idea is a fantastic one. It could grow into some sort of web Peepholism without the text.

Stephane

excellent work done there, always welcome info sites. Do you want us lot to send you scans of the missing bits?

love

Grim

Thank you all for the compliments :)

I still need to photograph some promos that I have at home, so soon I will be adding more images to the site.... I think the site currently shows 80% of my collection, so I'll be working on it this weekend.

Scans are always always welcome... just check with me first, because I might own that record and just haven't had the time to photograph it.

I could post here a list of the records I don't own....

Examples of records I don't have, sadly:
- Morrissey - That's Entertainment cd
- Morrissey - Certain People I Know, promo 7" (T. Rex style)

Any contribution is welcome... please let me know if there are any typos, broken links, etc etc...

Thanks!
Flavio

And I just added a few tonight:

Morrissey:
- Let Me Kiss You - promo cd

Smiths:
- Barbarism - Italian 7"
- Barbarism - Promo UK 12" (this one has the 7:00 and the 3:48 versions of Barbarism... I wonder if the cover is any different on the other promo 12", that has only the 7:00 Barbarism.... Does anyone know?)

Flavio

Great site. Really shows you how downhill the artwork has gone of late :p

Thanks.... I disagree with the artwork going downhill though... I really like Ringleader and Quarry artwork... How about Morrissey posing with Johnny Thunder's guitar on Redondo Beach?

I am not a big fan of First of The Gang's artwork though... it's kind of a silly photoshop effect applied on the photo.

thanks for putting this together, a fantastic idea and another great resource that I'll be using.

I may well have a few bits to add too.

I just created a website that features high-quality scans of most Smiths and Morrissey records.

So far, all images are from my personal collection, so there are a few that I don't have (yet)... Some records are missing because I just didn't have the time to photograph or scan them, but they will be up soon.

The cds and 7"s were scanned and 12"s were photographed. I don't have the proper equipment to photograph, but I think that most of them came out quite good.

The only problem is that there are nearly 400 images there, which adds up to 400MB, so I might be hammered with bandwidth costs. Hopefully not.

Also, if you have some rare Smiths/Moz record that is not featured on the site and you feel like you want to give it to me, I will love you forever :)

Wonderful!

:D:D:D

...I will love you forever :)

Right backatcha for this :D

Excellent work -this is awesome, thank you. Very well done and handy to amateur collectors like myself who would otherwise never see all of the sleeves/artwork.

Flax, I've always loved your tour pictures. You should put a link on your site.
BTW, nothing on there 'lacks style' ;) <--nice quote

Thank you all so much for the support!

I'm glad you're all enjoying the site.

Today I added 4 more albums covers:
Morrissey - Interesting Drug promo UK 12"
Morrissey - Interesting Drug 12"
Morrissey - Pregnant 12"
Morrissey - First of the Gang 12"

And here are the latest updates:

Sandie Shaw - Hand In Glove 7"
Morrissey - Suedehead 7"
Morrissey - Everyday Is Like Sunday 7"
Morrissey - Last Of The Famous 7"
Morrissey - Let Me Kiss You 7"
Morrissey - My Love Life Promo 7"
Morrissey - Piccadilly Palare Promo 7"
Morrissey - Pregnant For The Last Time Promo 7"
Morrissey - You're The One For Me Fatty Promo 10"
Morrissey - Every Is Like Sunday Promo cd
Morrissey - Billy Budd Promo cd
Morrissey - You Have Killed Me Promo cd

Something tells me that a certain someone will remind you that a thread or a site exists elsewhere that also has these things.

However I will tell you that I like the way that the site is organized by year with rich colored high quality thumbnails. I can already say that I have used some of your scans to replace poorer quality images I had embedded in my iTunes files.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom