Songs that have directly inspired Smiths/Morrissey tracks

Fascinating. Never heard of Daho, but I can imagine our kid being interested in him back in the day. Oh, yes.
Alain is fairly eclectic in his tastes, but I just can't see him ever having heard of this bonhomme.
No, I can picture Morrissey handing Alain a record and saying "Can you do something like this?"
I can picture Morrissey hoping Daho hears NFD and sends him a postcard.

This thread is very enlightening in how it's bringing the solo songwriting process into clearer focus. At least in my own mind.

Accordingly to Etienne Daho, who is a huge Morrissey fan, Alan knew his song; in 1996, Alan played, and even composed a song, on Etienne Daho's album "Eden".

Well then, I stand massively corrected.

Just to get it straight -- Daho was already a Morrissey fan and Alain a fan of Daho's song, both before Morrissey recruited Alain? Then later Alain got to actually meet Daho and work with him.
Very interesting...
Never underestimate Al!

Accordingly to Etienne Daho, who is a huge Morrissey fan, Alan knew his song; in 1996, Alan played, and even composed a song, on Etienne Daho's album "Eden".

Well then, I stand massively corrected.

Just to get it straight -- Daho was already a Morrissey fan and Alain a fan of Daho's song, both before Morrissey recruited Alain? Then later Alain got to actually meet Daho and work with him.
Very interesting...
Never underestimate Al!

You get it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Uk2iJU1tk

The gun Club - jack on fire -the gun club (i don't know how to actually post the video here cos am a thicko with computers)

against

i just want to see the boy happy

This has probably already been stated but am rather late with things if not im do believe im very perceptive.

I kinda love that song. Never heard it. Never even heard of the band.

Johnny Marr said that How soon is now was influenced by run through the junglethe gun club version it was originally by creedence clearwater revival, well at least it says that in mozipedia.

Don't you think the guitar part sounds similar? Johnny Mar has said that run through the jungle by the same band was an influence on how soon is now.

An obvious one not mentioned - The Trogg's Wild Thing and Paint A Vulgar Picture.

And I've always felt that something of Bowie's Always Crashing In The Same Car is in At Amber.

Last edited:
Daho, the Gun Club and the rest - what interesting finds, and fun to compare and contrast! : )

The predecessor to That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore may have been The BeeGees' tune I Started a Joke? - already probably mentioned.

And Fleetwood Mac's Man of the World explores similar existential states with a melody dragging round in a circle, as Half a Person?

In the 60s a band called The Buckinghams has a song called Susan. J. Maldonados thinks Morrissey may have based Black-Eyed Susan on it, especially the gap bit -

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom