Songs performed over the past 5 years

Flibberty

With some discussion about Morrissey performing the same songs too often, I had some time on my hands to check the stats. I may be wrong, but I calculate that he's sung 109 different songs since the start of 2018.

Corrections welcome, but that seems fair enough for any performer and much better than many of his contemporaries.

22 - The Smiths (How Soon is Now?, Is It Really So Strange?, William, It was Really Nothing, I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish, That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore, What She Said, Girl Afraid, I Won’t Share You, Panic, The Queen is Dead, Half a Person, The Boy With a Thorn in His Side, Never Had No One Ever, Shoplifters of the World Unite, This Night Has Opened My Eyes, Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want, Sweet and Tender Hooligan, Girlfriend in a Coma, Frankly Mr Shankly, London, I Know It’s Over, Rubber Ring)

6 - Viva Hate era (Little Man, What Now?, Everyday is Like Sunday, Break Up the Family, Suedehead, Dial a Cliché, Hairdresser on Fire)

6 - Bona Drag Era (The Last of the Famous International Playboys, Disappointed, November Spawned a Monster, Ouija Board, Ouija Board, Yes, I am Blind, At Amber)

3 - Kill Uncle and 1991 era (Our Frank, I’ve Changed My Plea to Guilty, The Loop)

6 - Your Arsenal era (We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful, Glamorous Glue, You’re the One for Me, Fatty, Seasick, Yet Still Docked, Tomorrow, Jack the Ripper)

7 - Vauxhall and I era (Hold on to Your Friends, Speedway, The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get, I Am Hated for Loving, Why Don’t You Find Out for Yourself?, The Lazy Sunbathers, Billy Budd)

2 - 1995 era (Sunny, Have-A-Go Merchant)

3 - Maladjusted era (Satan Rejected My Soul, Alma Matters, Trouble Loves Me)

6 - You are the Quarry era (Let Me Kiss You, Irish Blood, English Heart, First of the Gang to Die, My Life is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye, I’m Not Sorry, Munich Air Disaster 1958)

3 - Ringleader of the Tormentors era (You Have Killed Me, Life is a Pigsty, If You Don’t Like Me, Don’t Look at Me)

5 - Years of Refusal era (Black Cloud, Something is Squeezing My Skull, I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris, That’s How People Grow Up, All You Need is Me)

4 - World Peace is None of Your Business era (World Peace is None of Your Business, The Bullfighter Dies, Istanbul, Scandinavia)

10 - Low in High School era (My Love, I’d Do Anything For You, I Wish You Lonely, Spent the Day in Bed, The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn’t Kneel, Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up on the Stage, Israel, I Bury the Living, Home is a Question Mark, When You Open Your Legs, Who Will Protect Us From the Police?)

8 - California Son era and before
(Never Again Will I Be a Twin, Back on the Chain Gang, Morning Starship, Lady Willpower, It’s Over, Wedding Bell Blues, Some Say (I Got Devil), Days of Decision)

6 - I Am Not a Dog on a Chain era (Jim Jim Falls, Love is On Its Way Out, Once I Saw the River Clean, Knockabout World, What Kind of People Live in These Houses?, My Hurling Days are Done)

7 - Bonfire of Teenagers era (Rebels Without Applause, Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings, I Am Veronica, Bonfire of Teenagers, Kerouac’s Crack, Saint in a Stained Glass Window, I Live in Oblivion)

2 - Without Music the World Dies (Without Music the World Dies, The Night Pop Dropped)

3 - Other covers (Judy is a Punk, You’ll Be Gone, Alone Again Naturally (partial))

I find the lack of Southpaw material disturbing. Let's fix that by having Moz play the album in full!

Good work Flibberty. People who complain that he doesn't vary the setlist enough clearly don't go to see concerts by other acts very often. It's not unusual for groups to bang out almost identical setlists throughout entire tours, or to just have one or two songs that get switched around.

With some discussion about Morrissey performing the same songs too often, I had some time on my hands to check the stats. I may be wrong, but I calculate that he's sung 109 different songs since the start of 2018.

Corrections welcome, but that seems fair enough for any performer and much better than many of his contemporaries.

22 - The Smiths (How Soon is Now?, Is It Really So Strange?, William, It was Really Nothing, I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish, That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore, What She Said, Girl Afraid, I Won’t Share You, Panic, The Queen is Dead, Half a Person, The Boy With a Thorn in His Side, Never Had No One Ever, Shoplifters of the World Unite, This Night Has Opened My Eyes, Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want, Sweet and Tender Hooligan, Girlfriend in a Coma, Frankly Mr Shankly, London, I Know It’s Over, Rubber Ring)

6 - Viva Hate era (Little Man, What Now?, Everyday is Like Sunday, Break Up the Family, Suedehead, Dial a Cliché, Hairdresser on Fire)

6 - Bona Drag Era (The Last of the Famous International Playboys, Disappointed, November Spawned a Monster, Ouija Board, Ouija Board, Yes, I am Blind, At Amber)

3 - Kill Uncle and 1991 era (Our Frank, I’ve Changed My Plea to Guilty, The Loop)

6 - Your Arsenal era (We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful, Glamorous Glue, You’re the One for Me, Fatty, Seasick, Yet Still Docked, Tomorrow, Jack the Ripper)

7 - Vauxhall and I era (Hold on to Your Friends, Speedway, The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get, I Am Hated for Loving, Why Don’t You Find Out for Yourself?, The Lazy Sunbathers, Billy Budd)

6 - You are the Quarry era (Let Me Kiss You, Irish Blood, English Heart, First of the Gang to Die, My Life is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye, I’m Not Sorry, Munich Air Disaster 1958)

3 - Ringleader of the Tormentors era (You Have Killed Me, Life is a Pigsty, If You Don’t Like Me, Don’t Look at Me)

5 - Years of Refusal era (Black Cloud, Something is Squeezing My Skull, I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris, That’s How People Grow Up, All You Need is Me)

4 - World Peace is None of Your Business era (World Peace is None of Your Business, The Bullfighter Dies, Istanbul, Scandinavia)

10 - Low in High School era (My Love, I’d Do Anything For You, I Wish You Lonely, Spent the Day in Bed, The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn’t Kneel, Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up on the Stage, Israel, I Bury the Living, Home is a Question Mark, When You Open Your Legs, Who Will Protect Us From the Police?)

(Never Again Will I Be a Twin, Back on the Chain Gang, Morning Starship, Lady Willpower, It’s Over, Wedding Bell Blues, Some Say (I Got Devil), Days of Decision)

6 - I Am Not a Dog on a Chain era (Jim Jim Falls, Love is On Its Way Out, Once I Saw the River Clean, Knockabout World, What Kind of People Live in These Houses?, My Hurling Days are Done)

7 - Bonfire of Teenagers era (Rebels Without Applause, Sure Enough, the Telephone Rings, I Am Veronica, Bonfire of Teenagers, Kerouac’s Crack, Saint in a Stained Glass Window, I Live in Oblivion)

2 - Without Music the World Dies (Without Music the World Dies, The Night Pop Dropped)

3 - Other covers (Judy is a Punk, You’ll Be Gone, Alone Again Naturally (partial))

good job (y) and how many artists play 2 new songs from a second album of theirs that has yet to be released! Though, maybe some artists wouldn’t be so proud of that move? Lol.

I find the lack of Southpaw material disturbing. Let's fix that by having Moz play the album in full!

How about a 3 night residency in a few major cities, and on each night he plays a different album … first night Viva Hate, second night Arsenal, and third Vauxhall ?!

Maybe one ticket for all 3 nights. Would be pricey, but worth it. I think this kind of tour would do very well.

How about a 3 night residency in a few major cities, and on each night he plays a different album … first night Viva Hate, second night Arsenal, and third Vauxhall ?!

Maybe one ticket for all 3 nights. Would be pricey, but worth it. I think this kind of tour would do very well.

You're right that a tour like that would probably prove very popular. Morrissey has said in the past, though, that he doesn't like that sort of gimmick and thinks that each show should stand on its own merit.

You're right that a tour like that would probably prove very popular. Morrissey has said in the past, though, that he doesn't like that sort of gimmick and thinks that each show should stand on its own merit.

yeah, that and he does go out of his way to not do the expected, examples such as… playing ITMAAParis in Paris or commenting on Bowie’s passing, or the Queen’s, if I’m remembering correctly(?)

Well, to be fair to Morrissey he has gone back to play a fair few other songs from 1995 over the years.

Reader Meet Author (most recently in 2016)
The Boy Racer (2011)
The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils (2000)
Best Friend on the Payroll (2009)
Boxers (2015)
Whatever Happens, I Love You (2007)
A Swallow on My Neck (2000)

He did It's Over live?

Amazing work, missed that.
So 30 from the 80s
25 from the 90s
14 from the 00's
22 from the 10's
15 from the 20's
Or 55 from the last century and 51 from this century.

So a good variation and very evenly balanced.

Back
Top Bottom