Songs Morrissey should cover

ExpectingToFly

I was listening to 'Blasphemous Rumours' by Depeche Mode and it struck me as being very Morrissey-esque somehow. It would suit his voice, I think. I'm not sure if he has ever expressed an opinion on Depeche Mode, my gut says it was probably negative if he has though. So I think I'll just need to imagine his cover version, sadly!

Just for fun, what songs do you think would sound great if Morrissey leant his voice to them? Even if it's an artist he's unlikely to appreciate...

I think if he would decide to cover a tango, that should be Cambalache. It's perfect for him, lyrics are a hymn to human misery. I know he never will do it by a bunch of reasons, one of them is that his own lyrics don't miss anything. Anyway, abstractly, it would be very appropiate.

Last edited:
The get up kids - out of reach

A scrappy song with a nasaly singer and a lot of feeling. Be neat to hear moz sing it with his deeper smoother voice a tad slower to up the dreamy effect. Something not in his usual orbit or what he would be expected to sing. Another song I think would be neat and just bizarre for morrissey to sing would be

Sam cookes - get yourself another fool

Just to imagine morrissey as some blues soul singer is kinda funny. I like to give him a white scarf and fedora when I think about it. Greatsong though. If he were feeling cheeky he could dedicate it to the smiths reunion

I think if he would decide to cover a tango, that should be Cambalache. It's perfect for him, lyrics are a hymn to human misery. I know he never will do it by a bunch of reasons, one of them is that his own lyrics don't miss anything. Anyway, abstractly, it would be very appropiate.

I don't know off course if he would want to do this but it certainly could inspire him.
I don't know enough about tango but I loved Piazzola.
Oblivion is impressive.
That YouTube vid in black and white is unbelievable.
Tears in eyes guaranteed.
Was being shown and heard at my mothers funeral.
Many people did not know the music.
I always like your posts Countthree. Always.
Gerrit

I was listening to 'Blasphemous Rumours' by Depeche Mode and it struck me as being very Morrissey-esque somehow. It would suit his voice, I think. I'm not sure if he has ever expressed an opinion on Depeche Mode, my gut says it was probably negative if he has though. So I think I'll just need to imagine his cover version, sadly!

Just for fun, what songs do you think would sound great if Morrissey leant his voice to them? Even if it's an artist he's unlikely to appreciate...

First of all, I love Depeche Mode! :)

Second, if you're not familiar with Ben Folds, you should check him out. This song I thought would work really well if covered by Morrissey:

I don't know off course if he would want to do this but it certainly could inspire him.
I don't know enough about tango but I loved Piazzola.
Oblivion is impressive.
That YouTube vid in black and white is unbelievable.
Tears in eyes guaranteed.
Was being shown and heard at my mothers funeral.
Many people did not know the music.
I always like your posts Countthree. Always.
Gerrit

Thank you Gerrit, you are very sweet. Even if you sometimes don't like my posts :)

Being armed with such a huge back catalogue should detract him from playing any cover songs.

This should be an obvious contender. Their dance moves are almost interchangeable and the huma-like lyrics would suit Moz perfectly.

I still stand by my fav choice of fantasy cover and think he should do tommy gnosis and his version of wicked little town

Good one Uncleskinny! Thanks, I like this for Morrissey to cover.
It could be a very dramatic and at the same time very camp version.
The type of music he is best at.
You never know for sure if it's funny, meant to be ironic, or dramatic and tragic.
It's both I guess but not exactly at the same time.
So one moment you are overwhelmed by the emotional impact and next moment you start to laugh, because it can be quite funny as well.
And all during one song.
I think he is unique at this and I wouldn't know any other musical artist that has that same quality.
I searched and tried to find one but to no avail, yet.
But you never know, I might come across something or someone anyhow.
There is still so much music to be found.
Gerrit

I'm so glad to have you
And it's getting worse
I'm so mad to love you
And your evil curse

Frank Lamarr around the old camp fire ! Perfect for Steve to cover.

BtBB :greatbritain::knife:

I was driving through a part of New Hampshire with limited FM radio service, but I was able to pick up an oldies 70's/60's station, and it made me think of this thread.

He has such a versatile voice that he really can cover just about anything. Two songs I heard this morning that I'd love to see covered, for fun, are Delilah by Tom Jones (with the mariachi horns in the chorus and all)

and this

Back
Top Bottom