Songs Morrissey should cover

D

Dave

I think that Morrissey should do a barebones covers record like the last few Johnny Cash records were made. Nominate some songs he should cover.

These Boots are Made For Walkin' - Nancy Sinatra
(have skinheads on the video)
He Hit Me and It Felt Like A Kiss - The Crystals
(boxers in the video)
I know this one was already done by Courtney Love and by Grizzly Bear but Morrissey could own it.
I'd like to hear him go rockabilly again too, and I think he should cover a Dwight Yoakam song like "Fast As You" or "the Streets of Bakersfield"
Maybe he should skip that and just do a Buck Owens song like "Crying Time Again"
(cowboys in the video)

Solitary Man - Neil Diamond
A Poem On the Underground Wall - Simon & Garfunkel
I'll Be Your Mirror - Nico
Crystal Frontier - Calexico
Hard Headed Woman - Cat Stevens

I think it's time for Etienne to enter his beer soaked Clancy Brothers/Dubliners phase. He might brush up on the bodrhan and form a supergroup with John Lydon (concertina) and George O'Dowd (penny whistle) and Declan McManus, (mandolin).

I think that Morrissey should do a barebones covers record like the last few Johnny Cash records were made. Nominate some songs he should cover.

He Hit Me and It Felt Like A Kiss - The Crystals
(boxers in the video)
I know this one was already done by Courtney Love and by Grizzly Bear but Morrissey could own it.

he refered to the song about how brave the artist was to write a song like that..so he likes the song indeed

in this thread there are some other suggestions:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=89686&highlight=peggy

Last edited:
Crying - Roy Orbison
Across the Universe - John Lennon
In the Flesh - Blondie
Play with Fire - The Rolling Stones

the pretenders - message of love

it's got that "your arsenal" crunch to it and an oscar wilde quote.

I think Morrissey could do some recent Cribs songs...to piss Marr off!

I'll Be Your Mirror - Nico
Hard Headed Woman - Cat Stevens

Good, cliche-free choices there, CG - I especially like the Cat Stevens tune (I love the bit that starts out, "I know a lot of fancy dancers/who can glide you across the floor"). It would be refreshing to hear Moz sing a romantic song to a female protagonist, just to keep folks guessing.

He needs to do a Bread song - Make It With You, Everything I Own, If, Baby I'm A Want You, Diary. That kind of thing.

P.

Good, cliche-free choices there, CG - I especially like the Cat Stevens tune (I love the bit that starts out, "I know a lot of fancy dancers/who can glide you across the floor"). It would be refreshing to hear Moz sing a romantic song to a female protagonist, just to keep folks guessing.

Thanks! Though Nico's song is a bit cliche-ish. Many of his own songs are similar to I'll Be Your Mirror.

He needs to do a Bread song - Make It With You, Everything I Own, If, Baby I'm A Want You, Diary. That kind of thing.

P.

I fully support this. :D

Back
Top Bottom