Pray - I'll see you here
I will see you here
I will see you here

Apparent, apparent
Heir apparent
You say that you want it, I'm sure that you'll get it
They'll seduce your heart and then they'll slap your arse

Heir, heir, heir ...

I believe this lyric, like "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself," is directed at those idealistic young artists attempting to make a name for themselves in the music industry...

ok, I think same but that when he says

They'll seduce your heart and then they'll slap your arse :confused:

ok, I think same but that when he says

They'll seduce your heart and then they'll slap your arse :confused:

I think it's his brief to the aspiring youth on how the British musical press works: they build you up only to tear you down. He had been the critic's darling throughout the majority of the Eighties only to be vilified after the Madstock incident. It obviously was a bittersweet turnabout for him.

This is one of his more underrated songs, imo. I love the use of the Manchester train station as the framework. In a way, it's a reversal of the Smiths song London, much as The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils was the flipside of The Headmaster Ritual. Should have been on the album.

Anyone else ever detect perhaps a wink to the Jam song Down in the Tube Station At Midnight? Morrissey: You were there, gleaming and leaving. Paul Weller: I pulled out the Queen, smiling, beguiling. The phrasing is very similar.

Cheers,
Jamie

This is one of his more underrated songs, imo. I love the use of the Manchester train station as the framework. In a way, it's a reversal of the Smiths song London, much as The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils was the flipside of The Headmaster Ritual. Should have been on the album.

Anyone else ever detect perhaps a wink to the Jam song Down in the Tube Station At Midnight? Morrissey: You were there, gleaming and leaving. Paul Weller: I pulled out the Queen, smiling, beguiling. The phrasing is very similar.

Cheers,
Jamie

Exactly. It's a very, very good song.

IMO it's refering to the growth of brit pop in the early to mid 90's and in particular the Manchester scene. Some musicians/songwriters/bands at this time stated rather proudly that they were influenced by The Smiths, for example Noel Gallagher (Oasis). Thus making these musicians the apparent heir to the claim of the most important artists of the time to emerge from Manchester, both by the media and their own egos.
From this there could be a warning in the song to such artists to be wary that the media will eventually attack them when they become bored of them and find a new flavour of the moment ( 'slap you're arse' ).
Or maybe this line is directed more at these artists who tried to 'seduce the heart' of Morrissey by announcing their influence. Then when they have become headliners themselves 'slapped his arse' by not supporting him and washing their hands clean of him during the prolonged media attack of him, and in some cases were critical and uncomplementary about him themselves.
Just an opinion and a thought and probably a load of crap, but hey what the hell.

meaning of song

found tihis theory on a website, quiet amusing

"Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want", The Smiths
Morrissey said in an interview once that this was a song about when he was a teenager and always wanted to hear more disco on the radio. His parents always said, you can't always get what you want! This explains the line, '"Good Times", for a change' ("Good Times" is a famous disco song by Chic).

Moz and disco....

Back
Top Bottom