Something is Squeezing My Skull: the airplay thread

Maurice E

I didn't even know its release had been offically announced (don't think it's on the Moz website?) but 'Squeezing' has skipped straight onto BBC 6 Music's A list (doesn't count for much as only a digital channel).
No sign of it on the Radio 2 playlist. I've a feeling they'll probably only give it limited support (i.e. not on any of the official playlists but just the occasional play from Radcliffe/Long/Ross etc). They may feel as if they gave Moz plenty of support for Paris and the album launch with the live show.
If YOR's fortunes are to be reversed, it'll need a lot of plays from the likes of Absolute and Xfm. Can't see it happening though.
It's a decent enough song apart from the last minute or so (the 'don't gimme any more' coda) which is just a bit irritating.
An edited down version might have stood a better chance...

Re: Something is Squeezing My Skull; the airplay thread

Morrissey emails regarding this release sent out today, got mine lunchtime.

Morrissey emails regarding this release sent out today, got mine lunchtime.

Me too. I was hoping against hope that there would be new b-sides in spite of the details that appeared on ebay. Never mind. Possibly these unreleased recordings are going to play a part in the next album?

I'll probably buy one version of the single -- with the 'best friend' b-side -- just for a vague sense of completion. I like the cover, too.

I think it's probably a bit too edgy for Radio 2 to play a lot and Radio 1 obviously have a policy of not playing him, ever. I don't think it will get much airplay but I don't really care. I'm glad he released it as a single as I think a lot of his other single releases from the last two albums have been a bit too safe.

I think it's probably a bit too edgy for Radio 2 to play a lot and Radio 1 obviously have a policy of not playing him, ever. I don't think it will get much airplay but I don't really care. I'm glad he released it as a single as I think a lot of his other single releases from the last two albums have been a bit too safe.

Danny, dude, you should care!
The sales for YOR have been shocking. Moz lost tons of fans between Quarry and YOR and, now, even more have jumped ship.
If YOR doesn't shift 100,000 (in the UK) he'll probably be dropped and is unlikely to be offered an acceptable (to him) deal by any other record company. He needs some serious airplay if the album is to be rescued. Otherwise, we could well end up with the wilderness years, part 2...

The sales for YOR have been shocking. Moz lost tons of fans between Quarry and YOR and, now, even more have jumped ship.
If YOR doesn't shift 100,000 (in the UK) he'll probably be dropped and is unlikely to be offered an acceptable (to him) deal by any other record company. He needs some serious airplay if the album is to be rescued. Otherwise, we could well end up with the wilderness years, part 2...

I don't care. And I think your constant predictions of doom for Morrissey are totally exaggerated. We don't even know if he wants to make any more records after this, and if he does, there will be plenty of smaller record companies willing to release them. Plenty of artists release records with much smaller sales than Morrissey.

hmmmmm

You should stop calling fellow forum users 'dude'.
Only make you sound obnoxious.

Re: hmmmmm

Why? It is just a term people use.

Love PTxx.

Hmmmmmmmmm.... You didn't complain when somebody called me an idiot. Are you going to start picking on people for the words they use?

(I wonder when this post of mine will be moved into off-topic. :rolleyes:)

No,it doesn't. That comment makes you sound rude,Kewpie.
An apology is in order.

ALL THE YOUNG DUDES!
(good enough for Bowie)

Don't confuse "sales" with "fans" though. Quarry was a genuine crossover success, bought by many casual buyers due to the impact made by Morrissey's return after a long absence.

It's like saying Morrissey "lost" fans from "The More You Ignore..." reaching no. 5 to the follow-up "Hold On To Your Friends" reaching no. 47. (He didn't.)

Also, sales and chart positions are no indication of the quality of an album or single. If they were Westlife would be one of the greatest bands of all time. (They're not.)

The advent of the download age has hit Morrissey hard in terms of sales and chart positions though. Which makes the mysterious lack of any of the new songs as b-sides even more curious. None of which can detract from Years of Refusal being his finest record of the century. (Which it is.)

Kewpie, why must you complain at everything, and be so rude to people? You really don't live in the real world do you?

Anyway, back on topic. I can't see it getting much airplay. It is a decent song, but as someone said before, the ending just goes on a bit too much for radio.

Am i the only one who sings Plums instead of Skull?

Tags
thewlis=owned
Back
Top Bottom