'Something Is Squeezing My Skull' Single

You were on fire there until the end. Before then you carefully noted that Morrissey's problems were largely "commercial". But then you had to mention his legacy. :)
His legacy will survive untarnished no matter how poorly the sales numbers look. Do not worry.

The problem with sales figures is not the impact on the legacy. It's the effect they have on being able to release new material.
YOR's sales have been pretty disastrous. There is a chance the album can be rescued but only really if subsequent singles receive tons of airplay, or the album does well in the Mercury or BRIT awards; all these eventualities are unlikely but not impossible!
If YOR doesn't recover, it's pretty unlikely that a conventional record company will offer Moz a deal he considers acceptable, and he could ffind himself back in the (metaphorical) wilderness.

The problem with sales figures is not the impact on the legacy. It's the effect they have on being able to release new material.
YOR's sales have been pretty disastrous. There is a chance the album can be rescued but only really if subsequent singles receive tons of airplay, or the album does well in the Mercury or BRIT awards; all these eventualities are unlikely but not impossible!
If YOR doesn't recover, it's pretty unlikely that a conventional record company will offer Moz a deal he considers acceptable, and he could ffind himself back in the (metaphorical) wilderness.

Thank you. That was my thinking when I wrote my post. You have to move albums - NOW. "Greatest Hits" didn't sell well either. Three disappointing selling albums will not lend itself to flexible and fruitful recording contract offers. There's nothing metaphorical about it. Stink up the joint this bad over the past two albums especially, and he's right back to musical Siberia.

Regarding the b-sides, my point was not re-issuing them on a deluxe version. It is: where exactly is Decca planning on placing them? There is one strong single left on this album, yet there are a bevy of unreleased b-sides. Do they really think they can release four singles off this album? I mean they can, but they just won't chart well...

You were on fire there until the end. Before then you carefully noted that Morrissey's problems were largely "commercial". But then you had to mention his legacy. :)

His legacy will survive untarnished no matter how poorly the sales numbers look. Do not worry.

You write that, and as always I respect your opinion, but my PM box is stuffed with messages from other (less vociferous fans) who are deeply concerned about what the hell Morrissey is doing and emotionally bailing out on him.

I don't know what it's like to not like a Morrissey/Smiths record. This is my first time. I just don't get YOR. Lyrically, it seems to me he has raging bouts of aphasia. I find the whole exercise unclever and Saccharin. The audacity or daftness of playing "Crashing Bores" live in 2009 makes me seriously question the man's faculties: Morrissey, you're really claiming the lyrics on YOR show insight and intelligence incapable of being manifested by other pop artists? It started with "That's How People Grow Up" through today, there's just not much left to say. You're okay alone now, great I get it. You needed to turn the volume up to eleven and release this pop crap to express that...sorry I just don't get it.

How do other people deal with this. I see constant bitching about YATQ or ROTT. I love those albums. Those are uber-works compared to YOR. How did you all deal with your respective disappointment? How did you keep the faith when you thought the train was careening off the tracks?:confused::confused::confused:

You write that, and as always I respect your opinion, but my PM box is stuffed with messages from other (less vociferous fans) who are deeply concerned about what the hell Morrissey is doing and emotionally bailing out on him.

I don't know what it's like to not like a Morrissey/Smiths record. This is my first time. I just don't get YOR. Lyrically, it seems to me he has raging bouts of aphasia. I find the whole exercise unclever and Saccharin. The audacity or daftness of playing "Crashing Bores" live in 2009 makes me seriously question the man's faculties: Morrissey, you're really claiming the lyrics on YOR show insight and intelligence incapable of being manifested by other pop artists? It started with "That's How People Grow Up" through today, there's just not much left to say. You're okay alone now, great I get it. You needed to turn the volume up to eleven and release this pop crap to express that...sorry I just don't get it.

How do other people deal with this. I see constant bitching about YATQ or ROTT. I love those albums. Those are uber-works compared to YOR. How did you all deal with your respective disappointment? How did you keep the faith when you thought the train was careening off the tracks?:confused::confused::confused:

There's the difference, then. I've disliked a Morrissey album before ("Maladjusted"). So I wouldn't freak out even if I disliked Years of Refusal-- and I love it.

I'd look at it this way. Others have been disillusioned before, and he's won most of them over again. The same will likely happen with you. Stick with it. He'll release another new album within a year to a year and a half-- we hope, Maurice's post notwithstanding-- and you'll know if it's an aberration or a trend. Until then put on "Vauxhall and I" and get hammered on peppermint schnapps while you're riding out the storm.

I am in full agreement with what you wrote. I just think it's important to step away from the argument that his sales have something to do with his legacy. Vauxhall has been screaming doom and gloom about Morrissey "ruining his legacy" and I'm trying to get him to back away from the ledge. (Don't jump, Vauxhall!)

You, on the other hand, instead of talking him down, seem content to hold the giant rescue pillow, far down on the street below, and I've got a feeling that if Vauxhall jumps you might be keeping it mischievously mobile. :rolleyes:

I am in full agreement with what you wrote. I just think it's important to step away from the argument that his sales have something to do with his legacy. Vauxhall has been screaming doom and gloom about Morrissey "ruining his legacy" and I'm trying to get him to back away from the ledge. (Don't jump, Vauxhall!)

You, on the other hand, instead of talking him down, seem content to hold the giant rescue pillow, far down on the street below, and I've got a feeling that if Vauxhall jumps you might be keeping it mischievously mobile. :rolleyes:

And this is our fundamental disagreement, i.e. YOR: IMO, any Morrissey album which is both musically and lyrically lesser than his competition is a diminishment of his legacy. To me, Morrissey is the ultimate pop singer and (more importantly to me) songwriter. In every other album he's released, there has been something that has made me believe, to my core being, no other artist could do this. This is special. This man is unique. I don't want to hear any crap about YOR is good for someone his age or it's better than anything else out there: not true.

I just watched a live set from The Proclaimers at SXSW which was a stripped down acoustic set with just the two of them that left me speechless. It was poignant, funny, and they have the occasional catchy pop tune. Do I think their overall body of work is as good as Morrissey - hell no, but don't try to sell me that no one can approach Morrissey in 2009 because what I heard from The Proclaimers sounded like the old Morrissey: music that actually mattered to me.

Climbing back down from today's ledge...:crazy::) I hold Morrissey to impossibly high standards I know, but he'd never disappoint, until that bleeping YOR came out!!!!:)

Three formats...... three live b-sides......:rolleyes:
This single will be lucky to hit top 40:eek:

I haven't bought one single yet with an exclusively live b-side (or live album) and certainly wont be starting now:squiffy:

Jukebox Jury

Three formats...... three live b-sides......:rolleyes:
This single will be lucky to hit top 40:eek:

I haven't bought one single yet with an exclusively live b-side (or live album) and certainly wont be starting now:squiffy:

Jukebox Jury

This latest development does nothing to soothe my current State of the Union regarding Mozzer. What the hell is he doing? So, now we're not releasing b-sides?! This is utterly confounding. "Something is Squeezing My Skull" is the strongest, most vital "Single" track on the album. As I predicted in my previous posts, Decca has managed to screw this up to.

My only thought is Morrissey is severing ties with Decca and keeping the material for the next label. That is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with. Why would you not put your best remaining b-sides onto the strongest radio friendly song on the album? Absolute insanity or sheer incompetence by Decca. I rue the day Moz signed the deal with these cretins.

This latest development does nothing to soothe my current State of the Union regarding Mozzer. What the hell is he doing? So, now we're not releasing b-sides?! This is utterly confounding. "Something is Squeezing My Skull" is the strongest, most vital "Single" track on the album. As I predicted in my previous posts, Decca has managed to screw this up to.

My only thought is Morrissey is severing ties with Decca and keeping the material for the next label. That is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with. Why would you not put your best remaining b-sides onto the strongest radio friendly song on the album? Absolute insanity or sheer incompetence by Decca. I rue the day Moz signed the deal with these cretins.

Perhaps he's making a 'Black Cloud EP'; Giving it a proper release.
:p
We'd appreciate something with the name "Black Cloud" for once...

In honesty, I quite like the song.
I think it should function as a single at some point.

My God, stop moaning about this and that....just enjoy the bloody music the man is giving us in such a powerful way. Life's too short...
Cheers Moz

Has anyone perhaps considered that the lack of b-sides is due to the fact that Jerry Finn died shortly after the recording of the album?

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Has anyone perhaps considered that the lack of b-sides is due to the fact that Jerry Finn died shortly after the recording of the album?

You may be right. Still, it is a massive disappointment. The Quarry era, for example, must have produced 20+ decent songs. Not much less for Ringleader. Is Morrissey losing his creative flow? Or is he becoming lazy? One thing's for sure - I couldn't care less about a live version of Best Friend on the Payroll.

I've just pre ordered all 3 formats even though I am disappointed there's no new songs on there. Surely the live versions of TCM and Best Friend could have been put on the b side of one of the cds and then a couple of new songs on the other one? I've bought all the formats of his singles for years so I'm not going to stop now but having to pay £6 for 3 live tracks (all of which are pretty short at that) is bound to put a lot of people off.

skull b-sides are an insult to the fans.

3 different formats , no new songs - lets face it only morrissey fans buy morrissey singles and most likely already have live versions of these tracks, lazy money spinning piss take.

I thought we knew of the remaining b-side song titles because the songs were done and were copyrighted? Also, the album was delayed six months. I think the songs are produced and complete. Why they aren't being released is a mystery to me...

Granted, I'm given regularly to vast generalizations, hyperbole, and conspiracy theories but I wonder if holding on to the remaining songs couldn't be used as some sort of leverage in getting a new record released in the U.S.? Something similar to "My Early Burglary Years." Start with "Children in Pieces" and "My Dearest Love" then combine the U.K. b-sides from YOR. It would be a decent package of songs and plausible given all the singles released by Decca have been exclusive to the U.K.

Do I think it would sell gangbusters? No, but it might be part of a two album deal with one album's worth of material already in the can (so to speak). Also, for as much as I despise YOR, it was reviewed well (better than his last two efforts according to Metacritic). Perhaps, the Morrissey camp can "spin" the YOR sales as poor promotion (which was definitely the case) when shopping for his next (and probable final) record deal.

A shame we have no 'new' B-Sides. But meh, I'm a collector, I'll still get all 3 formats.

If the paucity of the B-sides on the Paris single is anything to go by maybe Morrissey just can't be arsed with the B-side malarkey anymore....
I mean what is the point? when you release two of your stronger B-side compositions post Quarry on All You Need Is Me and that fails to dent the higher echeleons of the chart...

In a parallel universe Skull would be number one a la Bryan Adams/ Wet Wet Wet but its not going to happen.... hence the issue of more live B-sides. I may be wrong but the first release I recall all with live B-sides as a solo artist was We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. I didn't buy that either

Can't see Morrissey never having a record deal again though. Record companies know what they're getting with him. Solid if unspectacular sales that nosedive 2 to 3 weeks after a release. I think he must just about break even

Tags
morrissey
Back
Top Bottom