'Something Is Squeezing My Skull' Single

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
Janice Long just played 'Something Is Squeezing My Skull' and back announced it as "that's the new single from Mmmmorrissey!" Sounds bloody good on the radio by the way.
Later on Janice's show she had VV Brown live in session and she did a cover of 'This Charming Man' accompanied by acoustic guitars and keyboards. The keyboardist did Marr's guitar lines rather cutely. The sole point of interest though was a lyric change as Ms.Brown implores 'why tantalise complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat ?' Reading it back now it actually works quite well, sounded silly at first. Have to i-player it I think.

Re: Something Is Squeezing My Single

Oh, thank Christ. Let's hope it's true!

I heard it today on WXRT in Chicago too. I jacked the car radio volume all the way!!! :guitar::guitar:

Oh good, I was terrified the next single was going to be 'Black cloud' , this is a good choice.

I wouldn't have minded Black Cloud as I think its excellent, but SISMS is the perfect choice - probably should have been the lead single actually, great song.

How long into the show was SISMS and the This Charming Man cover played?

Edit: SISMS is 6 minutes in and TCM around half an hour in.

Last edited:

As a random point on SISMS - I was surprised the other day when I saw the lyric written as "I can blackout the present...".

I've always heard it as "I can block out the present...", most clearly and importantly, on the album version itself, and basically every live version.

I knew it, I farking knew it. The best choice. Will get oodles of radio play. A real blaster of a single.

Peter

Excellent choice for the next single :thumb:.

Ahh, I shall have to give my source close to Camp Morrissey a bloody good slap for supplying me with false information! A thousand apologies to you all...

That said, do people really think SISMS is really going to get much airplay? While it's a much better choice of single than Blzzzzzz Clzzzzzzzzzz I still don't think it'll get much more airplay or convert anyone to the record.

I think if Mozzer backs this with a few new B-sides, it could at least get him back in the top 20.

Which seems bizarre, seeing as it was only recently he was on a record-breaking (for him) run of top 20 hits.

WHOO HOOOO
*pumps air with fist*

If this is true then thats just FABULOUS.:D
I thought Black cloud would have been ok, but SKULL is just such a strong song(ok, so im biased because i absolutely love it, but hey ho! :rolleyes:)

*eagerly waiting release date*

I saw that ad listing "Black Cloud" as the next single; it was already printed and distributed in The Onion a few weeks ago. It seems like someone changed their mind fairly recently, thank goodness. "Skull" is a thousand times more interesting a song than "Black Cloud."

I wonder if there is a video already?

Great news, if this is indeed the case. 'Skull' is the type of song that I could actually imagine getting played on the radio. It's a song that all of my non-Morrissey fan work colleagues like. It sounds rocky and uplifting and enjoyable. It's got all the elements of a perfect single, the likes of which we haven't seen since 'First of the Gang'. All it needs is a decent video and I think that Morrissey will get back into the top 20.

Far better choice of single than Black Cloud but I don't imagine it getting much in the way of airplay or videoplay (no change there really) and expect it to be Morrissey's lowest charting single since Satan Rejected My Soul. I hope I'm wrong of course, it deserves to do well, but I'll be surprised if it makes the top 20.:(

Far better choice of single than Black Cloud but I don't imagine it getting much in the way of airplay or videoplay (no change there really) and expect it to be Morrissey's lowest charting single since Satan Rejected My Soul. I hope I'm wrong of course, it deserves to do well, but I'll be surprised if it makes the top 20.:(

Sad to say I agree.
While I would love to think otherwise, I don't think this is the kind of song that'll get on the radio. 'Satan...' actually had a real hook and in a lot of ways is a much more likely playlist song than SISMS.

It depends what we think Moz is looking for with a single -

a) A statement of intent 'f*** you and your chart positions, this is art' kind of single where the aim is to simply release your strongest work and accept that perhaps you will receive limited exposure and therefore get a much lower chart position but who remembers chart positions anyway?

b) Something that comes with more or less a guarantee of heavy airplay and invitations to perform said song on TV shows. Perhaps not your artistic peak but the aim of the single isn't to showcase that, it's simply to generate sales for the album.

I would love to think he'd go for 'a' but I think we all know he'd be going with option 'b'. If that's true then I'm not sure that SISMS would give the record the extra exposure he'd like. Don't get me wrong, as I said before I do prefer the idea of this as a single to the dismal lump of gruel that is Black Cloud but, I dunno - still doesn't inspire excitement.

That said...does anyone really think there are anymore singles left on YoR? Not 'oooh I'd love it if (insert song X) was a single' but actually songs that fit the general criteria of 'A Morrissey Single These Days'.

Apologies for the long post.

If he was going for option B, I think he'd release 'Sorry Doesn't Help' as the next single. No one here seems to like it, but I think it would get a lot of airplay. It's the song that sounds most like other things I hear on the radio. I don't mean that as an insult in any way; I quite like it.

Tags
morrissey
Back
Top Bottom