'Something Is Squeezing My Skull' Single

If the paucity of the B-sides on the Paris single is anything to go by maybe Morrissey just can't be arsed with the B-side malarkey anymore....
I mean what is the point? when you release two of your stronger B-side compositions post Quarry on All You Need Is Me and that fails to dent the higher echeleons of the chart...

In a parallel universe Skull would be number one a la Bryan Adams/ Wet Wet Wet but its not going to happen.... hence the issue of more live B-sides. I may be wrong but the first release I recall all with live B-sides as a solo artist was We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. I didn't buy that either

Can't see Morrissey never having a record deal again though. Record companies know what they're getting with him. Solid if unspectacular sales that nosedive 2 to 3 weeks after a release. I think he must just about break even

Pregnant for the last time prior to that had 2 live tracks as well:thumb:

If the paucity of the B-sides on the Paris single is anything to go by maybe Morrissey just can't be arsed with the B-side malarkey anymore....
I mean what is the point? when you release two of your stronger B-side compositions post Quarry on All You Need Is Me and that fails to dent the higher echeleons of the chart...

In a parallel universe Skull would be number one a la Bryan Adams/ Wet Wet Wet but its not going to happen.... hence the issue of more live B-sides. I may be wrong but the first release I recall all with live B-sides as a solo artist was We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. I didn't buy that either

Can't see Morrissey never having a record deal again though. Record companies know what they're getting with him. Solid if unspectacular sales that nosedive 2 to 3 weeks after a release. I think he must just about break even

Well, I dunno. You call it "malarkey" but hasn't Morrissey been the one wishing he could just release singles instead of albums? He's stated as much many times before.

The real oddity is that the songs are done. These aren't speculated. They have been copyrighted. So why isn't he releasing them? Until someone can offer me a better explanation, I'm sticking to my conspiracy theory he is angling for an "Early Burglary Years" type release along with a new album for his next contract.

As for the idea you could never see Moz without a deal, I do remember a certain seven year drought; however I think this time feels different. He seems to be regarded in good standing among the musical press. His failure to commercially succeed (in this instance) weighs heavily on Decca. YOR did not have to sell this poorly.

Also, Moz could pretend to care when trying to market himself. The videos for "Paris" and "All You Need is Me" could best be compared to third rate art school projects, as they make the video for IBEH look like it was conceived and directed by Fellini.

Is it me, or do the sleeves look very similar in theme to the There Is A Light single release? I looked in Morrissey's bin the other day and saw the word 'originality' written on a piece of paper. I hope he picks it up out of the bin again...

Well, I dunno. You call it "malarkey" but hasn't Morrissey been the one wishing he could just release singles instead of albums? He's stated as much many times before.

The real oddity is that the songs are done. These aren't speculated. They have been copyrighted. So why isn't he releasing them? Until someone can offer me a better explanation, I'm sticking to my conspiracy theory he is angling for an "Early Burglary Years" type release along with a new album for his next contract.

As for the idea you could never see Moz without a deal, I do remember a certain seven year drought; however I think this time feels different. He seems to be regarded in good standing among the musical press. His failure to commercially succeed (in this instance) weighs heavily on Decca. YOR did not have to sell this poorly.

Also, Moz could pretend to care when trying to market himself. The videos for "Paris" and "All You Need is Me" could best be compared to third rate art school projects, as they make the video for IBEH look like it was conceived and directed by Fellini.
Just because the songs have been seen on a publishing site doesn't mean they are "done". The probability is that he concentrated on recording the album assuming there was plenty of time to record the b-sides later. This has happened many times before with b-sides, even to the extent of doing short recording sessions in the middle of tours to get the b-sides done. Morrissey wasn't to know that he didn't have the luxury of time with Jerry Finn.

Good choice for the next single but I just have to say that the b-sides are a disgrace. The new live-version of This charming man is to molest something beautiful. Another example is the live version of last of the famous on the thats how peaople grow up single.

Good choice for the next single but I just have to say that the b-sides are a disgrace. The new live-version of This charming man is to molest something beautiful. Another example is the live version of last of the famous on the thats how peaople grow up single.

Its not a disgrace, how do u know moz had time to record any new b-sides as jerry finns death was sudden

Just because the songs have been seen on a publishing site doesn't mean they are "done". The probability is that he concentrated on recording the album assuming there was plenty of time to record the b-sides later. This has happened many times before with b-sides, even to the extent of doing short recording sessions in the middle of tours to get the b-sides done. Morrissey wasn't to know that he didn't have the luxury of time with Jerry Finn.

Hey Danny,

You may very well be right but with the album being delayed six months I really think they are complete. I'm honestly not being contentious, but what does it mean when an artist takes the time to copyright the material as a Whyte/Morrissey composition? To me, it implies Alain wrote the music and Morrissey the vocals? Regardless of the tragic passing of Mr. Finn, one would think in the whorish business that is the music industry there would have been a priority in getting the music produced and ready to market, IMO someone (maybe Boz, Tony Visconti) would have produced the remaining material. Additionally, given Moz's own self-admitted love of "singles" and "b-sides" I'd envision their completion to be a top priority. In fact, if the YOR b-sides are not complete (and again it's weird that two were and no more) why did Decca release all of them for the first single? Would it not have made sense to save one for "Paris" and one for "Skull?" Those are the two strongest single choices on an album bereft of songs that lend themselves to radio airplay (because of length of time or other factors).

Again, I have no particular insight but given Decca's poor promotion and handling of Morrissey; I'm of the belief Moz just wants to be free of these people.:)

There's a bit more to making a record than writing the music and lyrics, most of which takes quite a lot of money and studio time, mixing and mastering. Maybe the contract Morrissey signed with Decca didn't stretch to them forking out for more time in the studio simply for b-sides. I can imagine a record company thinking it wouldn't be very cost effective considering the amount of physical singles sold these days.

There's a bit more to making a record than writing the music and lyrics, most of which takes quite a lot of money and studio time, mixing and mastering. Maybe the contract Morrissey signed with Decca didn't stretch to them forking out for more time in the studio simply for b-sides. I can imagine a record company thinking it wouldn't be very cost effective considering the amount of physical singles sold these days.

Very true.

On a related note, I was bumping around iTunes and I saw a new EP from The Proclaimers. Nice to see that the EP format isn't completely dead!:)

Pre ordered the 3 format bundle from recordstore,
gosh knows why, because the B sides are a flipping sham, :mad: i was so looking forward to this as a single and i hoped Moz wouldve backed it up with something more suitable instead of live versions of SHIT songs, (charming man isnt shit, the NEW version however, IS).

im truly disappointed :(

Pre ordered the 3 format bundle from recordstore,
gosh knows why, because the B sides are a flipping sham, :mad: i was so looking forward to this as a single and i hoped Moz wouldve backed it up with something more suitable instead of live versions of SHIT songs, (charming man isnt shit, the NEW version however, IS).

im truly disappointed :(

You are a true fan! Especially since we now know the b-sides are from the Radio2 concert which is readily available for download. I guess the artwork and completeness factor rule the day?

Enjoy!:)

I always buy his releases and rereleases and b sides and all that stuff...even after I have stolen it in advance.
The things we do to pay for the shirts that flax catches. :/

hopefully the B-sides have been mastered and are of excellent quality and not just the same recordings we already have of the BBC gig.

Oh yeah and some kind souls should be nice enough to upload the b-sides for us Aussies and anyone else who is unlucky enough to get the singles in their country .. or even a tour, grr!

THE NEWSLETTER FROM MORRISSEY JUST ARRIVED:

attachment.php

attachment.php

New Single - 'Something Is Squeezing My Skull'

Morrissey's next single will be 'Something Is Squeezing My Skull', the opening track from the Gold album 'Years of Refusal' released on Monday 27th April in the UK.

The single comes backed with live recordings of 'This Charming Man', 'Best Friend On The Payroll' and 'I Keep Mine Hidden', performed for the first time ever by Morrissey and his band at Radio 2's recent Live With Morrissey concert.

You can pre-order both CDs and the 7" from Recordstore right now.

Click here to place your order and get all three for just £5.

Last edited:
Sorry for my ignorance , but who is the guy in the statue?
Cheers Moz

see this single? I'm truly DISAPPOINTED!

this STINKS - the only thing I look forward to with Morrissey's music is the singles and b-sides anymore.

Let's face it, since Maladjusted the album tracks have sorely lacked, but we've had some great b-side gems.

I don't give a CRAP about This Charming Man, I Keep Mine Hidden, or Best Friend on the Payroll - live or not.

What a wasted opportunity for what couldve been a great single.

After 22 years now I'm starting to lose interest and heart.

Help me Uncleskinny - tell me I'm wrong

Tags
morrissey
Back
Top Bottom