'Something Is Squeezing My Skull' Single

That said...does anyone really think there are anymore singles left on YoR? Not 'oooh I'd love it if (insert song X) was a single' but actually songs that fit the general criteria of 'A Morrissey Single These Days'.

Apologies for the long post.

Disagree. SISMS is easily as good as "Irish Blood, English Heart" and "First Of The Gang To Die"; the three of those tracks are the best singles he's released since "Tomorrow" and "The More You Ignore Me". I do think it has radio potential, or as much potential as any Morrissey track is likely to have.

To your question above, no, I don't think there are any other tracks worthy of being a single (that haven't already been released as such). I'd love it if he'd go back into the studio and record a one-off single, as he used to do once upon a time. More than any "f*** you" statement in a song lyric, knocking out 3 great songs over a weekend would show the world he still has enormous creative reserves and a band skilled enough to record on the fly.

Last edited:
It depends what we think Moz is looking for with a single -

a) A statement of intent 'f*** you and your chart positions, this is art' kind of single where the aim is to simply release your strongest work and accept that perhaps you will receive limited exposure and therefore get a much lower chart position but who remembers chart positions anyway?

b) Something that comes with more or less a guarantee of heavy airplay and invitations to perform said song on TV shows. Perhaps not your artistic peak but the aim of the single isn't to showcase that, it's simply to generate sales for the album.

I would love to think he'd go for 'a' but I think we all know he'd be going with option 'b'. If that's true then I'm not sure that SISMS would give the record the extra exposure he'd like. Don't get me wrong, as I said before I do prefer the idea of this as a single to the dismal lump of gruel that is Black Cloud but, I dunno - still doesn't inspire excitement.

That said...does anyone really think there are anymore singles left on YoR? Not 'oooh I'd love it if (insert song X) was a single' but actually songs that fit the general criteria of 'A Morrissey Single These Days'.

Apologies for the long post.

At this point in Morrissey's career, releasing his stronger material is the same as releasing his better material. "Black Cloud" is generic, and one or two plays is about all it merits; it will go nowhere for that reason. "Skull" is great take-me-or-leave-me aggro Morrissey, and will garner more attention. Even if it doesn't burn up the charts, it's still the smartest move at this point, from an artistic as well as a business standpoint.

At this point in Morrissey's career, releasing his stronger material is the same as releasing his better material. "Black Cloud" is generic, and one or two plays is about all it merits; it will go nowhere for that reason. "Skull" is great take-me-or-leave-me aggro Morrissey, and will garner more attention. Even if it doesn't burn up the charts, it's still the smartest move at this point, from an artistic as well as a business standpoint.

I have definitely listened to Black Cloud more than any other song on the new record. It along with Carol are my favourite songs. I do think however that SISMS is the best choice for a single.

Having said that, I once said that it doesn't matter how good the song is, the name on the packaging dictates it will not get any useful radio play. Since that is the case, I think he should release Carol simply because the sound is so unexpected and I think it would be funny.

I don't get it. I just don't get it. I think this song is one of the worst on the album!! strip down the song to the basic chord progression and its boring and doesnt work. and the guitar sounds horrible. that classic "Jesse Tobias" sound. like that clunky guitar riff right before the singing starts especially. it sounds horrible! and the melody, it sounds like Moz couldnt find a decent one. he's all over the place. the "there is no love in modern life" line is almost completely monotone. and the "SKULLLL!" when he hits that note he can barely reach? its painful!!

i just don't. f***ing. get. it. :head-smack: is there anyone else who feels that way? am i completely alone in this????

just IMHO, of course. :blushing:

I don't get it. I just don't get it. I think this song is one of the worst on the album!! strip down the song to the basic chord progression and its boring and doesnt work. and the guitar sounds horrible. that classic "Jesse Tobias" sound. like that clunky guitar riff right before the singing starts especially. it sounds horrible! and the melody, it sounds like Moz couldnt find a decent one. he's all over the place. the "there is no love in modern life" line is almost completely monotone. and the "SKULLLL!" when he hits that note he can barely reach? its painful!!

i just don't. f***ing. get. it. :head-smack: is there anyone else who feels that way? am i completely alone in this????

It's funny, you say that about SISMS and bored liked "Black Cloud" though Anaesthesine didn't. That thread awhile back about whether or not YOR is dividing fans might have posed a question more relevant than we thought! I don't think I've ever seen such polarization about a Morrissey release.

For me, Morrissey's singing makes the song work. Jesse Tobias doesn't enter into it, although I think the backing track is pretty good as a foundation for Morrissey's voice. Maybe the divide among fans comes down to a fundamental like/dislike of Morrissey's increased emphasis on the vocals over dazzling wordplay and musical finesse.

(Oh and by the way you may not be alone but you're certainly crazy. :guitar:)

Last edited:
It's funny, you say that about SISMS and bored liked "Black Cloud" though Anaesthesine didn't. That thread awhile back about whether or not YOR is dividing fans might have posed a question more relevant than we thought! I don't think I've ever seen such polarization about a Morrissey release.

For me, Morrissey's singing makes the song work. Jesse Tobias doesn't enter into it, although I think the backing track is pretty good as a foundation for Morrissey's voice. Maybe the divide among fans comes down to a fundamental like/dislike of Morrissey's increased emphasis on the vocals over dazzling wordplay and musical finesse.

well of course I rather the music and melody be better then his voice. his voice wasn't as great back in the Smiths days but the music and the melody were much better. that's what makes a song, not the person's voice, i mean, as long as its not William Hung or something. :cool::p

(Oh and by the way you may not be alone but you're certainly crazy. :guitar:)

well, I won't argue that one. :p

well of course I rather the music and melody be better then his voice. his voice wasn't as great back in the Smiths days but the music and the melody were much better. that's what makes a song, not the person's voice, i mean, as long as its not William Hung or something. :cool::p

well, I won't argue that one. :p

Spoken by a musician, I think sometimes musicians listen for the wrong things, like they get too technical, which is not a bad things sometimes but I think it can alter things, if I was to sit down with my guitar and listen to 'skull" with the the only reason to be to listen for guitar tabs, I too would think its a rather simple melody.
but if I sit back and just listen to it block out any knowledge you have about chords and notes,etc, you will see its a far more exciting song.Its one of his more interesting interesting songs on YOR, especially lyrically and vocally.

Or maybe you are just crazy.

Slow work day, nugz, so I'm going to carry on my campaign of insipid nitpicking and point out that the one case-- a rare one, admitttedly-- in which songs are made by the voice and not by the music, or the combination of words and music, would be if the voice were overwhelmingly and deliciously powerful, rich, vibrant, sexy and provocative in a way that was totally unique in pop music past, present and (I'd wager) future. Do I have to add that I think Morrissey ticks off those boxes? :rolleyes:

The Smiths and early-mid Morrissey were tastefully framed Monets hanging in a museum. Everything just so. Morrissey in 2009 is Picasso sketching on a restaurant napkin to pay his bill. I'm sort of digging it.

I have definitely listened to Black Cloud more than any other song on the new record. It along with Carol are my favourite songs. I do think however that SISMS is the best choice for a single.

Having said that, I once said that it doesn't matter how good the song is, the name on the packaging dictates it will not get any useful radio play. Since that is the case, I think he should release Carol simply because the sound is so unexpected and I think it would be funny.

Different horses, I suppose. Black Cloud bores me silly, although I agree with you on Carol - absolutely knockout.

At this point "Morrissey" is pretty much set in stone; there's no sense in him trying to play it safe. If he won't get airplay just because of who he is then he should just go all out and release whatever the heck he wants. Who knows, Carol could be a break-out hit.

All I can say is that I was a (post) punk back in the day, and I like my music unpleasant, visceral and aggressive. A sense of humor always helps.

I love Morrissey's deranged vocals, and that sense of going off the rails. I love "Birthday" for the same reason - those vocals could peel paint. Morrissey is at his best for me when he's careening around the bend.

I don't know what's wrong with people's ears these days, everyone's so conservative. I blame Pro Tools. ;)

I don't love SISMS. How come no one will make any comment about my observation about Sorry Doesn't Help? Did I only imagine posting that? If we're looking at a single as a way of generating airplay and attention, don't you think that's the most conventional song on the album?

Spoken by a musician, I think sometimes musicians listen for the wrong things, like they get too technical, which is not a bad things sometimes but I think it can alter things, if I was to sit down with my guitar and listen to 'skull" with the the only reason to be to listen for guitar tabs, I too would think its a rather simple melody.
but if I sit back and just listen to it block out any knowledge you have about chords and notes,etc, you will see its a far more exciting song.Its one of his more interesting interesting songs on YOR, especially lyrically and vocally.

Or maybe you are just crazy.

well theres nothing wrong with simple. the Ramones were as simple as you can get and I love them. do you know how many songs are just 3 basic chords? tons. but for some reason i just dont like it. its a combination between the melody and Jesse's clunky guitar I think. admittedly "All You Need is Me" has a similar feel but that ones grown on me a bit. I like that one.

I'll respond to more. slow work day for me too. but i need a cigarette first.

I don't love SISMS.

Another one. Damn, what is it with you people? :rolleyes:

How come no one will make any comment about my observation about Sorry Doesn't Help? Did I only imagine posting that? If we're looking at a single as a way of generating airplay and attention, don't you think that's the most conventional song on the album?

I think you make a good point, but "conventional" is just that. Conventional. You're not going to be able to cut it in the current pop market. It's not just that Morrissey isn't welcome-- I don't see that guitar-based rock/pop/punkish music as a whole genre is welcome. Not without a really youthful, gimmicky sound, anyway, which he hasn't got (thankfully). He's twice removed from the zeitgeist and that's before you even take into consideration un-sunny fare like "Sorry Doesn't Help".

"Skull" at least has the benefit of mentioning behavioral modification drugs, which will lend it no small amount of credibility with the kids, I'm sure.

But I like 'Sorry'. There you're right on the money. :guitar:

Different horses, I suppose. Black Cloud bores me silly, although I agree with you on Carol - absolutely knockout.

At this point "Morrissey" is pretty much set in stone; there's no sense in him trying to play it safe. If he won't get airplay just because of who he is then he should just go all out and release whatever the heck he wants. Who knows, Carol could be a break-out hit.

All I can say is that I was a (post) punk back in the day, and I like my music unpleasant, visceral and aggressive. A sense of humor always helps.

I love Morrissey's deranged vocals, and that sense of going off the rails. I love "Birthday" for the same reason - those vocals could peel paint. Morrissey is at his best for me when he's careening around the bend.

I don't know what's wrong with people's ears these days, everyone's so conservative. I blame Pro Tools. ;)

I really like Birthday. just like people don't understand why I dont like SISMS, I don't understand why people dont like Birthday! haha. I like the beginning of Black Cloud. but then it all goes down hill during the chorus for me. it's boring. in the same way I think Thats How People Grow Up is boring. I don't know, I can't really explain it. SO I WON'T EVEN TRY TO. :p ...sorry couldnt help myself.

oh and I just wanted to add, I don't understand the obsession with chart success and radio play. maybe it's cuz I'm American and I can't imagine Morrissey being played on the radio anyway, at least not where I live.

Last edited:
Sorry would fit in perfectly on the radion station I listen to- XRT in Chicago. I realize, though, that there aren't many like that out there. But to me, it fits in with all the Franz Ferdinand-Killers-whoever else stuff that sells a lot of albums. I don't know what stations play that stuff, but clearly many do.

But the subtext of what's being said here is that Morrissey is f***ed, just because he's old and has a reputation that the industry won't get past. That's so wrong.

Sorry would fit in perfectly on the radion station I listen to- XRT in Chicago. I realize, though, that there aren't many like that out there. But to me, it fits in with all the Franz Ferdinand-Killers-whoever else stuff that sells a lot of albums. I don't know what stations play that stuff, but clearly many do.

I dunno. I admit I'm not exactly in touch with current trends. It seems to me that what passes for "fresh and exciting" pop music would be hip hop, disco, divas, and country/western music.

But the subtext of what's being said here is that Morrissey is f***ed, just because he's old and has a reputation that the industry won't get past. That's so wrong.

Do you mean that people are correct that he's categorically f***ed, and you're angry at the industry? Or do you object to the fans' interpretation that this is the case?

I think you have to consider that Morrissey has chosen his position, to a large extent. I don't doubt that there's a lot of "times they are a-changin'" negativity toward Morrissey, but for the most part I think his obstinacy and outsiderness are chosen-- "years of refusal". Although he didn't write it the song that might best describe his present attitude is "Song From Under The Floorboards": "I am sick and I am dull and I am plain-- what are you going to do with me? Nothing, just like always". He's the poison in the human machine. I don't think he wants to move with the times, and in my view he's making it an artistic position.

I think Skull is an excellent choice.....it's opening grabs your attention right away and the title is so interesting.

I think It's not your birthday anymore would be a perfect single, anyone else think so ?

Black cloud and Sorry would be my other choices for singles.

I don't think he's f***ed, but he is a fixed point.

Morrissey is an Icon - at this point people have a set notion of who he is that is never going to change. If he releases a watered-down version of himself as a single, then casual fans/music lovers will probably be disappointed. If he releases his more challenging barnstormers, the mainstream will probably ignore it because it's not commercial enough.

I think he's actually in a better position because of his age - being venerable always brings in bigger crowds.

I don't like the assumption that because he's fifty he won't sell records, no matter who is making it, when stinking boring Paul McCartney and Mellencamp and all those boring people sell lots of records at the same age. But I don't want Morrissey to dumb himself down (as if he could or would) to please the Starbucks crowd. And he goes and releases a song like "My Dearest Love" on a vinyl-only 7" with no official US release. So I don't know. If everyone liked him, if he was vastly popular, it would probably mean he wasn't good anymore. But I'd like to see him with more commercial success, because it seems that he would like that.

I guess there are no answers. And in that case, I really don't care what he releases as a single, because it makes no difference to me or my enjoyment of his music.

I don't like the assumption that because he's fifty he won't sell records, no matter who is making it, when stinking boring Paul McCartney and Mellencamp and all those boring people sell lots of records at the same age. But I don't want Morrissey to dumb himself down (as if he could or would) to please the Starbucks crowd. And he goes and releases a song like "My Dearest Love" on a vinyl-only 7" with no official US release. So I don't know. If everyone liked him, if he was vastly popular, it would probably mean he wasn't good anymore. But I'd like to see him with more commercial success, because it seems that he would like that.

I guess there are no answers. And in that case, I really don't care what he releases as a single, because it makes no difference to me or my enjoyment of his music.

Yes, but I think the comparison to Sir Paul and Johnny Cougar is illuminating because they trade on their back catalog more than Morrissey does. There's a market out there for faded pop stars who constantly recycle themselves. Once you've sold millions of albums, you're probably going to have a built-in audience forever, if you want, as long as you keep giving them the same stuff over and over again. For crying out loud, the other night on TV I saw Styx-- Styx-- playing to a sold-out, rapturous audience.

I don't think Morrissey is playing that game. He's not only turning away from blatantly commercial stuff, he's kind of pissing off his fanbase a little, too. In fact, though many people seem convinced Morrissey is giving his fans the same old stuff, IMO it's almost the opposite-- he's leaving a lot of money on the table by choosing not to do certain things that McCartney and others bank on routinely. The $75m to reform The Smiths was just one.

Last edited:
Yes, but I think the comparison to Sir Paul and Johnny Cougar is illuminating because they trade on their back catalog more than Morrissey does. There's a market out there for faded pop stars who constantly recycle themselves. Once you've sold millions of albums, you're probably going to have a built-in audience forever, if you want, as long as you keep giving them the same stuff over and over again. For crying out loud, the other night on TV I saw Styx-- Styx-- playing to a sold-out, rapturous audience.

I don't think Morrissey is playing that game. He's not only turning away from blatantly commercial stuff, he's kind of pissing off his fanbase a little, too. In fact, though many people seem convinced Morrissey is giving his fans the same old stuff, IMO it's almost the opposite-- he's leaving a lot of money on the table by choosing not to do certain things that McCartney and others bank on routinely. The $75m to reform The Smiths was just one.

Styx, lol. One of the guys from Styx lived for many years in my in-laws' neighborhood.

Anyway- the part of your response I bolded above applies to Morrissey, too. And while he doesn't keep making additional chapters to Viva Hate and Vauxhall, he's still dealing with the same themes, just looking at them from different angles. There are many here, as you know, who hate everything from Strangeways on. I've met fans who asked me, "So, like, who are the Smiths?" He can't please everyone, so I'm glad he focuses on pleasing exactly one person.

Tags
morrissey
Back
Top Bottom