"Some Girls..." (live, Brixton Academy, London, Dec. 12, '86) released on Spotify

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2017 (read-only)' started by Cornflakes, Oct 2, 2017.

By Cornflakes on Oct 2, 2017 at 12:24 AM
  1. Cornflakes

Cornflakes "A bit iffy" ★★☆☆☆ - AV Club

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    1. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
      don't know, M should have edited that intro a little, don't need all of that guitar wankery.

;)
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Cornflakes
      Cornflakes
      Actually, when I made a live compilation (which I posted here) some time ago, I cut the "You have incredibly good taste" bit. What a weak thing to say...
      • Like Like x 2
    3. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun

what?! how dare you?! that part should be looped and played for an hour before each of his concerts! ;)
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Cornflakes
      Cornflakes
      And now it will be, in my head. Thanks for that.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Quando quando quando
      Quando quando quando
      How dare you promote editing out Johnny Marr's brilliant guitar wankery but are enraged when even the tiniest cough of Moz, completely unrelevant to the song gets the same treatment? :(
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Famous when dead
      Famous when dead
      3d446cd8c86c835ccbcfeb5075c25de33408cdac.jpg
      No surprises here.
      FLAC / Wav / WMA now in the download section for any without this track.
      Regards,
      FWD.
    7. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
      no problem ! :tiphat:
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. bobbydriver
      bobbydriver
      Ah well - my dream of a rare soundcheck version disappeared. Compared to the released version, this doesn't seem to have been tampered with at all. A shame as it always sounded slightly muddier than the other live tracks they've released as part of this campaign. Just for my own amusement I have created a matrix mix of the audience recording and the soundboard version. I'll post the link in the downloads section. I've left in the longer crowd intro and outro and I find the addition of the audience recording lifts the higher frequencies and gives it a bit more air.
      • Like Like x 2
    9. celibate
      celibate
      my ongoing laptop problems,in mind, is this the one where Morrissey sings the 3 rd verse?

'on the shopfloor this calender, as obvious as snow, as if we didn't know'

as sir Quando shortly mentioned, some guitarists you know without the song or performer [Brian Ferry-Right Stuff] it's 'THAT' guitarist, with this Smiths song Marr undoubtly puts his guitar riffs on this song.

Thanks.
      Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    10. celibate
      celibate
      this was also the last Smiths live gig,...[or there was a later dec. 86 gig ?]

Morrissey-vocals/lyrics
      Johnny Marr [Maher]- guitars and composing
      Andy Rourke- bass guitar
      Mike Joyce-the drumms
      Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Famous when dead
      Famous when dead
      'Official' YouTube version:

Regards,
      FWD.
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Thanks! You really go above and beyond for us.
      • Like Like x 2
    13. SuedeMoz
      SuedeMoz
      This track is so amazing live - Jonny's guitar is just stunning - Morrissey's playfulness on the vocals. Remember when Morrissey said he could hear "Starman" and forgive Bowie of anything? Well, I can almost say that about this ... let me give the new stuff another try.
      • Like Like x 4
    14. Old Mathew
      Old Mathew
      I think it's better than the studio version.

Cornflakes should be spanked.
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I could listen to Johnny's guitar riff on a loop all day, and not get bored by it. I honestly think Morrissey could have sung any old gibberish over the top of this and it would still be a classic - it's just that damn good.
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Mr Delaney
      Mr Delaney
      Yes it is. And it was always going to be the track to be used in the Spotify campaign as it's the only time (per Goddard) they ever played the song. Having an extra verse is good, but IMHO the track (especially Marr's peerless picking) is ruined by Moz's whimsical singing in the choruses.
    17. Mozbra
      Mozbra
    18. Mr Delaney
      Mr Delaney
      Well, it's a bit too obvious to my liking. None of the lyrics are exactly to write home about, for that matter. Waste of an excellent tune.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. Cornflakes
      Cornflakes
      Probably, but what am I supposed to have done now?
      • Funny Funny x 2