So what happened with that DJ/reviewer and the UK tour?

H

HIHITHERSA

I vaguely remember Morrissey cancelling or getting cold feet for UK tours a couple of years ago because some UK DJ or music reviewer was going to protest and have a DJ set in nearby venues during Morrissey's shows.

Why did Morrissey go through with them this time?
Why did the DJ not do anything this time or why was it not reported if he did or did not?

Dave Haslam was having a one off night in another venue on the same evening Morrissey was due to play in Manchester. No other nights or protests were planned.

the tour was cancelled because ticket sales were dismal.

I think the DJ was Dave Haslam and Morrissey's management did respond.
Haslam recently crawled out from under his rock during the open letter debacle and said he could end Morrissey's career in 3 tweets or something like that and tweeted it to Johnny Marr, who suprising absolutely to no one, said 'thanks Dave', or something like that.

Why did Morrissey go through with them this time?
Because he booked smaller shows that reflect his current smaller fanbase. For the cancelled 2018 tour, he was trying to play two shows at Manchester Castlefield Bowl, which is a total capacity of around 16,000. Sales were abysmal, so both nights were cancelled. This year he played Manchester Apollo, with a capacity of 3,500, and a great time was had by all.

The Castlefield Bowl sales were in the hundreds, for two nights. The promoter had to cancel. Other dates on the tour were also woeful. He‘d rebuilt his UK support to the level of arena‘s and festival size crowds. He’s now back to concert halls again, and not by choice.

Dave Haslam meanwhile is happy with his book career, and DJ bookings. This is basically what he was doing as a young man at his prime, when writing, editing, and producing Debris, as well as DJ’ing at the Hacienda. He pulls a respectable crowd at his events/nights. Prior to Covid he had a successful series of In-Conversation nights, some of which I attended. He’s done a few smaller ones since.

A lot of what is said about Haslam on these pages is utter bunkum. Morrissey isn’t living rent free in his head, as many would have you think. What Dave has to say about Morrissey isn’t all that different from what others at the time in Manchester who saw him catapulted to fame also say.

The event close to Castlefield went ahead, despite the gigs being cancelled. I think he had done some t-shirts especially to help fund raise. By all accounts all who attended had a good time.

dave hasbeen,the usual suspects will be frothing at the mouth at the thought of M having just completed a successful uk tour.

dave hasbeen,the usual suspects will be frothing at the mouth at the thought of M having just completed a successful uk tour.
You’re so far off the mark. His world doesn’t evolve around Morrissey. He lives a full and varied life. A key cultural figure in Manchester still.

You’re so far off the mark. His world doesn’t evolve around Morrissey. He lives a full and varied life. A key cultural figure in Manchester still.
how do you know he lives a full and varied life,he might use his wife as a punchbag for all we know,how many times have you spoken to him and for how long.

how do you know he lives a full and varied life,he might use his wife as a punchbag for all we know,how many times have you spoken to him and for how long.
Like I’m going to tell you. Arsewipe.

Still none of the anons here have yet to answer the OP’s question….

‘Why did the DJ not do anything this time or why was it not reported if he did or did not?’

Yes, above, a poster said Dave had another engagement that night. Perhaps he thought Morrissey was sufficiently humiliated by the smaller venue he had been booked in to play.

Do you mean 'revolve'? Haslam does not seem very evolved, just a big mouthed bully who isn't important to anyone, the way Morrissey is.

Yes, above, a poster said Dave had another engagement that night. Perhaps he thought Morrissey was sufficiently humiliated by the smaller venue he had been booked in to play.

:rolleyes::rofl:

Actually M seemed rather pleased with the reaction he got from the fans and the success of the shows.

And I guess Haslam’s fight against ‘racism’ wasn’t important enough for him to make
himself or others available to stage a protest.

:(

:rolleyes::rofl:

Actually M seemed rather pleased with the reaction he got from the fans and the success of the shows.

And I guess Haslam’s fight against ‘racism’ wasn’t important enough for him to make
himself or others available to stage a protest.

:(
Morrissey seems to have learned to keep his mouth shut. Why kick him when he’s down? Why bring this up anyway?

Haslam has a post card from Moz (USA 84)
Haslam dedicated a chapter to Moz in his "Sonic Youth" book
Dave was guest at MozArmy meet in Mcr trying to flog his book
Dave arranged a night for 150 people at a pub in Mcr on night of Castlefield
Dave is well connected but can be a bit mardy

Morrissey seems to have learned to keep his mouth shut. Why kick him when he’s down? Why bring this up anyway?
Ask the OP, if you see it that way. I didn’t start this thread.

To say Haslam is a "Key cultural figure in Manchester" is just a lie. He's a guy who'd get recognised by someone on the right night in the right place - He's done more damage to his own career than Morrissey's, - "Oh that guy who moaned a bit about Morrissey" rather than "Oh yes, he's that legend that's influencing the heart of culture and coolness of Manchester" as Anon of Manchester seems to be suggesting.

Back
Top Bottom