so what does everyone think of Sound of the Universe???

MrTheEdge

westham boy
so what does everyone think of SOUNDS of the UNIVERSE???Ive been shuffling through various bootlegs, unofficial releases and remixes of tracks off SOTU for about two months now and the day has finally came, the release of the new Depeche record. Lets start by saying that SOTU completely surpassed my expectations. Its quite simply, the greatest record Ive heard since In Rainbows(radiohead 2007). Thats right not even bono or the old mozzer could make the cut of greatest album of 2009 so far when compared to SOTU. Highlights include, Fragile Tension(my favorite), Hole To Feed, Jezebel, Come Back etc.... Also I will state that I truely felt jipped when I purchased the rediculously overpriced No Line On The Horizon box set from Amazon(terrible dissapointment) however the SOTU box set is one to talk about, can you say "FANTASTIC"? 4 discs~! The demos are to die for, and the remixes are quite nice as well. Audiophile's will yet again drool out of their ears when they experience the same stellar 5.1 digital audio of SOTU as the previous years Remastered Depeche albums for also just like the remasters, the SOTU Box set comes equipped with a dvd with the entire album and bonus tracks in 5.1 digital stereo. Oh its so very sweet. Overall, Songs of the Universe is a crafty well orchestrated piece of electronic art. The songs play trough well. No doubt some Violator-"esky" bleeps and bloops are present on the album which will cause great memories for fans of that mile-stone record, ie. everyone. You can honestly tell Depeche wanted to get this one right. And they succeeded. :thumb::guitar::thumb:

I've been a DM fan since the late 80's and unfortunately the new album is just not grabbing me. :( Much prefer my NLOTH.

I'm a massive DM fan but I think this album is awful. For me, it just seems like a huge step backwards and not in a good way.

After 7 listens I still can't get into it. This is not the album I was waiting for.
The only songs I really like so far are Wrong, Corrupt and Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh... :straightface:

I heard this a few weeks ago. Almost as dull as Exciter.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm surprised at the lukewarm reception of it here. I can't stop listening to it. Absolutely incredible album, in my opinion. Much better than PTA or Exciter, I think. My favorite tracks are In Chains, Hole To Feed, Wrong, Peace, and Come Back. The only one I dislike is Corrupt; I think they could've easily replaced that with The Sun And The Moon And Stars.

Love the album, the only bad thing I can say about it is that it is a bit slow.
Favourites now are Wrong, Hole to Feed, Miles Away and Corrupt.
Especially Corrupt, I get all warm inside when Dave breathes in between his teeth. :blushing: :o

Love the album, the only bad thing I can say about it is that it is a bit slow.

It's very slow. I need something more from it. It puts me to sleep. I tried so hard to give it a chance, put it in the player yesterday again and tried to listen to it and I just wanted to skip every song. I am disappointed, as I really love DM but the album is dull in my opinion. I'd rather listen to MFTM or Violator. :(

It's very slow. I need something more from it. It puts me to sleep. I tried so hard to give it a chance, put it in the player yesterday again and tried to listen to it and I just wanted to skip every song. I am disappointed, as I really love DM but the album is dull in my opinion. I'd rather listen to MFTM or Violator. :(
what she said
yes.gif

Who would have thought that almost 30 YEARS since doing morning aerobics to JCGE in 3rd grade that DM would still be making music. Not me.

You have to admire their longevity if nothing else. I like SOTU a lot, but the production is a bit wafer thin at times. Take the last 15 seconds of In Sympathy for example. Sounds like a 13 year old mucking around with Reason.

I have three DM wishes. One: that they never made Exciter, Two: that alan was still in the band and Three: that Tim Simenon was still producing their albums.

only songs i liked were peace, fragile tension, and wrong... playing the angel was sooo much better, i was really disappointed with the new album.

I'm enjoying it. It's not as catchy or poppy as Playing the Angel, but it is a better attempt at Exciter in my opinion. "Corrupt" is my current favorite.

I saw him DJ as Bomb the Bass at a festival in 2002(?) I tracked him down and complimented his work on ULTRA. He was unbelievably gracious and humble.

Pretty sure BTB have just put out a new album. Future Chaos?

I have been a fan for 20+ years and have been looking forward to SOTU for a LONG time. But, I just can't get into it. It's too slow, for one. The music isn't nearly as interesting as PTA---it's obvious they were going with a less......confrontational sound on this one. But too often it sounds plastic and cheap. The melodies and choruses are just really, really weak. There is not one song that i can say I asbolutely love. With PTA there were 5 or 6 right off the bat. Nothing is grabbing me so far. I'll still listen to it, but there is chance this could be my least fave DM album since I have been a fan.

I love the new album possibly even more than PTA which I really loved. i'm also one of those rare fans of Exciter which after 20+ years as being a casual fan of DM confirmed me as full time fan.

I tried and it just did not do it for me.

I listened to it the first time on Saturday on a drive down to Massachusettes. I have to say it is the first DM cd to excite me since Violator. I enjoy it much more than PTA, which was a 50/50 for me. I'd skip half the tracks when listening to it.

SOTU is fantastic. It has little echos of the entire DM catalogue. There isn't a single song I feel the need to skip. Now I'm REALLY excited to see them live in July.

Tags
depeche
Back
Top Bottom