So Moz can't get a record deal then

He needs to just play live and not worry about a record deal. New Order (who are currently recording an album) haven't released anything since 2015 yet can still sell out the O2. The handful of October gigs are a start but he needs to do full 20/30 date tours rather than half arsed poorly attended residencies. That's how he will re build his fan base. Look at bands like the Bunnymen - 21 date UK tour, 22 date US tour virtually all sold out. He needs to stop moping about, get up off his arse and show the world what that are missing.
Fair enough, Morrissey has an impressive back catalogue, and doesn’t need a record deal or new album to put on live shows. Lets hope he does more shows in 2023, in smaller venues.
As for thé Bunnymen, they cancelled their show in Belgium earlier this year, so didn’t get to see them. But from past experience, I know people show up to hear the older songs. And the same goes for Morrissey. Are we really waiting for a setlist with 8 out of 20 songs in the setlist from a new album?

He needs to just play live and not worry about a record deal. New Order (who are currently recording an album) haven't released anything since 2015 yet can still sell out the O2. The handful of October gigs are a start but he needs to do full 20/30 date tours rather than half arsed poorly attended residencies. That's how he will re build his fan base. Look at bands like the Bunnymen - 21 date UK tour, 22 date US tour virtually all sold out. He needs to stop moping about, get up off his arse and show the world what that are missing.
Agree he needs to get out but honestly don't think he has it in him to start on the circuit again....and he is pushing on ..I think arenas are where he's comfortable...just not feasible now or possibly ever again given the negative press he gets....on New Order....hadn't heard from any sources that an new album was in the works possibly an EP...do you have any more Intel?

Honestly wouldn't worry. We had the wilderness years before YATQ so I'm sure he'll bounce back.
I mean I'm listening to Copenhagen 2002 now and he introduces First of the Gang as a new song that is now old.
And the world got it in 2004 and it was a hit.
Yes I know the landscape is different but who knows maybe I am Veronica will be a hit in 2028.

Honestly wouldn't worry. We had the wilderness years before YATQ so I'm sure he'll bounce back.
I mean I'm listening to Copenhagen 2002 now and he introduces First of the Gang as a new song that is now old.
And the world got it in 2004 and it was a hit.
Yes I know the landscape is different but who knows maybe I am Veronica will be a hit in 2028.
I don’t get the hysteria over all this.
It didn’t happen in 02. And nor did it happen in 07 when all the Refusal songs debuted 21 months before the album dropped.
Nothing to see

I don’t get the hysteria over all this.
It didn’t happen in 02. And nor did it happen in 07 when all the Refusal songs debuted 21 months before the album dropped.
Nothing to see
Morrissey wasn’t then what he is now, in the eyes of the media and many people.

He pretty much was.

Before social media it wasn't as big - so it was easier for fans in the media to slip him into a lineup - but it was still severely limiting his career.

Central's obviously going to stink up any campaign so I don't think he can hit the mainstream again - but the reaction to the Pigeon was more muted than I expected.

That’s irrelevant.
It’ll be released when a deal Is acceptable. If not, then it will be shelved. I’d much sooner have shows to attend than an album to buy (that judging by the last 4-5 releases)

You're right - the effective boycott of his new songs on UK radio from 2018 onwards is something that had never happened before in all the previous wilderness years. Of course there were no new songs during such times but any record company contemplating a deal knew that R2, Rx, 6 Music etc. would all support a new album campaign, and that is no longer the case.
Without new songs on the radio, album sales are going to be tiny as they were for Dogon a Chain, so around 5,000 compared with the 30,000-50,000 that an A-listed song on Radio 2 would usually bring in.
However, I'd say there's a chance Radio 2 might actually play his new stuff again - he remains totally toxic in the indie world but R2 isn't really indie (whatever indie means). And as I've said before, many other acts that only sell around 5,000 copies of a new album (e.g. Bragg, Sting, Flaming Lips, James) manage to secure basic album deals. It's just not the level he's used to having to accept.

Record deals are for woke losers like Johnny Marr. Viva Morrissey! Viva Trump! Make Salford Great Again!

That’s irrelevant.
It’ll be released when a deal Is acceptable. If not, then it will be shelved. I’d much sooner have shows to attend than an album to buy (that judging by the last 4-5 releases)
You think it’s that easy? I hope you’re right.

You think it’s that easy? I hope you’re right.
Whether it right or wrong doesn’t really impact on me. As I said, I’d rather the shows than the album (If there actually is one)
Having both, it seems isn’t an option.
But I’m sure it’ll all work out. In the end. 🙂

Whether it right or wrong doesn’t really impact on me. As I said, I’d rather the shows than the album (If there actually is one)
Having both, it seems isn’t an option.
But I’m sure it’ll all work out. In the end. 🙂
If that isn’t an option, then the album is not happening.

Why can't Morrissey see, that quite a few of his nephew's activities on behalf of Central do not lead to a better overall picture. Combined with his constant falling out with record companies, the pandemic (yes, Sam, it exists), public perception and "unfortunate" statements, no one touches him with barbecue tongs anymore. The UK/Ireland tour won't change that much. But maybe a few enthusiasts will be enough to warm his heart.

‘Look he's back unharmed he must defrost his frozen charm
"How are you today" that's very good, he's on his way
To the barbecue’

Back
Top Bottom