So Moz can't get a record deal then

Morrissey is not Jagger. Thank god.

Anyway, the Stones haven’t released a good record since 1981’s Tattoo You. :ROFLMAO: Lol.
I think Blue & Lonesome is a quite good cover LP

I think Blue & Lonesome is a quite good cover LP

There so much good music out there to listen to, and I lost interest in their output after Tattoo. But if you like it, that’s cool.

Sticky, Beggars, and Exile being my favorites.

There so much good music out there to listen to, and I lost interest in their output after Tattoo. But if you like it, that’s cool.

Sticky, Beggars, and Exile being my favorites.
That's how it is with great bands. Years later, the albums become just an addition to great tours . Not everyone is a Dylan who, at 79, released one of his best records .

That's how it is with great bands. Years later, the albums become just an addition to great tours . Not everyone is a Dylan who, at 79, released one of his best records .

Yeah, just Stones product.

Haven’t listened to Dylan’s last as a whole yet. Though it did get good reviews I believe.

What's worse, for young pop stars, the albums are just an Instagram add-on :sick:

That’s a little harsh, and possibly inaccurate.

Though he wouldn’t call what he does a ‘career’ and of course people age differently, and may choose not to do what they don’t feel comfortable doing anymore.

But Morrissey, if he chooses can always stay in the spotlight or stirring up trouble from the wings, with the occasional comment. And as far as career goes, there are other avenues such as, continue recording or more books, maybe even a play.

I was a bit despairing.

The world has gone to the dogs. Political correctness destroys everything that is valuable and individual and creative. on Viva hate, Morrissey calls for beheading of Margatet Theacher, and the biggest record label has no problem with it. Nowadays, no one wants to release a Morrissey album because he wears a pin of some pathetic political party in his lapel ...
Morrissey pretty much defined the Smiths' aesthetic.
And it was one of poetry, sensitivity, compassion, feminism, anti-meat industry, anti-violence, anti-royalty, anti-right wing politics (a hatred for Thatcher and the Conservatives), and most of the people who followed him/the Smiths signed up to much of what you might call his worldview. So, an extreme hatred for Thatcher only strengthened his appeal - most decent people back then shared his view.
Defending Tommy Robinson, repeated support for Nigel Farage, promoting tinpot right-wing parties etc. - these thing aren't intrinsically that bad. People have said and done massively worse stuff.
But the problem is, they totally undermine the aesthetic that he created in the first place, and are pure anathema to huge numbers of people that followed him over the years and who, as a result, follow him no more.
This means he is getting offered much worse record deals than he ever has done before, due to a greatly withered fanbase.
That's the problem. It's not that the things he's said and done are particularly awful - it's just that in many people's eyes, they undermine everything the Smiths ever stood for in the first place.

Last edited:
And it was one of poetry, sensitivity, compassion, feminism, anti-meat industry, anti-violence, anti-royalty, anti-right wing politics (a hatred for Thatcher and the Conservatives), and most of the people who followed him/the Smiths signed up to much of what you might call his worldview. So, an extreme hatred for Thatcher only strengthened his appeal - most decent people back then shared his view.
Defending Tommy Robinson, repeated support for Nigel Farage, promoting tinpot right-wing parties etc. - these thing aren't intrinsically that bad. People have said and done massively worse stuff.
But the problem is, they totally undermine the aesthetic that he created in the first place, and are pure anathema to huge numbers of people that followed him over the years and who, as a result, follow him no more.
This means he is getting offered much worse record deals than he ever has done before, due to a greatly withered fanbase.
That's the problem. It's not that the things he's said and done are particularly awful - it's just that in many people's eyes, they undermine everything the Smiths ever stood for in the first place.
You summed it up perfectly :clapping: The hate he says that he received from magazines in 90s is not the same. The thing with the Union Jack flag, Bengali in Platforms, NF Disco etc. were trivial, easy to overlook, and in my opinion, more in the same vein of Shoplifters of the World Unite, Sweet and Tender Hooligan and Suffer Little Children. Only a few, besides NME people, took them as "worrying signs" and his fanbase remained tight. Fast forward and there's not even a single article on music magazines (be it good or bad), a video on TV... or a record deal.

People mention The Smiths nowadays as if the songs were written by Johnny Marr and an anonymous congregation of comp lit majors. The reluctance to promote and support him is not because of fear, or even hatred, but because of his sheer irrelevancy now. Look how well-received Rick Astley & Blossoms shows were. They practically sold out. If they were to do a Morrissey tribute concert, I bet they would do very well as well. Because there's no drama involved, no "problematic faves".

BTW Johnny acted like a prickly princess about these gigs while Morrissey just plainly thanked Astley & Blossoms and wished them well.

He's not irrelevant. He's unavailable. If he would let some myths circulate about himself IRL, it would help.

He drops off people's radars & then pops up because some hellhack has paraphrased him.

He needs to chill about getting a record deal, just get out there and play live.

I went to see Steve Diggle play at Pretty Green in Manchester last night, it was f***ing magical, I would love to see Morrissey do something like that.

He needs to chill about getting a record deal, just get out there and play live.

I went to see Steve Diggle play at Pretty Green in Manchester last night, it was f***ing magical, I would love to see Morrissey do something like that.

Nice to see your like Gregor, I love Morrissey's music but Buzzcocks will always be my fave as I first saw them when I was 15, so last night was totally surreal, I was actually on holiday in the Canary Isles when I got the invite, so it was a nice surprise to get in. It was marvellous hearing acoustic versions of songs that shaped my views on life.

Nice to see your like Gregor, I love Morrissey's music but Buzzcocks will always be my fave as I first saw them when I was 15, so last night was totally surreal, I was actually on holiday in the Canary Isles when I got the invite, so it was a nice surprise to get in. It was marvellous hearing acoustic versions of songs that shaped my views on life.

Yeah, it just sounded like an amazing thing. Imagine if Moz and Alain (or Boz) would do something like that. It would most likely be universally lauded, but unfortunately Moz probably sees himself as too much of a star.

Glad you had such a great time! 🙌🏻

Yeah, it just sounded like an amazing thing. Imagine if Moz and Alain (or Boz) would do something like that. It would most likely be universally lauded, but unfortunately Moz probably sees himself as too much of a star.

Glad you had such a great time! 🙌🏻

If Moz did something like that the whole street would be rammed with people trying to hear what was going on. I wish he would do something like that, there's so much to be had outside of having a record deal. Liam Gallagher turned up there for an appearance last year.

Last edited:
I’ve remained relatively positive until now! Hoping and actually believing that things would change…. But now with the disgusting BOT-track and the ignorant hatred flowing constantly from Central, I really think that we’re close to the end! I don’t think we’ll ever get another album and the upcoming tour might indeed be the last one… I still love Morrissey and I still believe that he ultimately means well - but the career has been so poorly managed, that there is no way back… Anyway, I’m gonna go to London for the two October shows -and I’m gonna party like its the last time… I hope it isn’t…

D

Perfect summary of the reasons behind Morrissey’s decline. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

He needs to just play live and not worry about a record deal. New Order (who are currently recording an album) haven't released anything since 2015 yet can still sell out the O2. The handful of October gigs are a start but he needs to do full 20/30 date tours rather than half arsed poorly attended residencies. That's how he will re build his fan base. Look at bands like the Bunnymen - 21 date UK tour, 22 date US tour virtually all sold out. He needs to stop moping about, get up off his arse and show the world what that are missing.

He needs to just play live and not worry about a record deal. New Order (who are currently recording an album) haven't released anything since 2015 yet can still sell out the O2. The handful of October gigs are a start but he needs to do full 20/30 date tours rather than half arsed poorly attended residencies. That's how he will re build his fan base. Look at bands like the Bunnymen - 21 date UK tour, 22 date US tour virtually all sold out. He needs to stop moping about, get up off his arse and show the world what that are missing.
You’re clearly not up to date with current affairs. His recent vegas residency were the best gigs ever in gig history. That’s how it really is. 🫠

The fact the song Bonfire bemoans the song Don’t Look Back in Anger (even though that song was a spontaneous outpouring of grief from ordinary Mancunians stood in St Ann’s Square in the heart of the city) shows how utterly out of touch Dorrissey is and why record labels won’t touch it with a barge pool.
I can relate to both sides. I can understand how a spontaneous idea can get the masses going. I can also see that, on econd thought, it wasn’t the greatest choice of a song in the given circumstances.. Are you going to tell the family members who lost their child to just not look back in anger?

I don’t think the song is the main reason why Morrissey doesn’t get a record deal. It’s just another stumbling block along a downhill road. Making it the title track of the album surely puts the spotlight on it and that is perhaps not a good thing.

Personal ly, I would have named the album after the song dedicated to his mother (Saint behind stained glass) because it seems that he recorded (and paid for) the album in honour of her and as a way to deal with his grief. I am also interested in hearing the song, because it is something we can all éclate to at some point in our life.

Back
Top Bottom