So it's 1983, "Hand In Glove" has just come out, what is your opinion on The Smiths?

dizzywhore_1804

A big-nose who knows...
Ok, a bit more freedom, let's take it up to the release of the first album.

What would be your opinion on Morrissey/The Smiths in general?

Just a bit of fun really, but I personally think I would have hated Morrissey (militant vegetarian, pretentious quotes in interviews, the 'look' etc) up until the second album came out. I'm still not a big fan of a lot of the material on the first album, lots of odd subject matter for subject matters sake, but listening to it in terms of the rest of the catalogue it makes sense.

Same sorta thing as I do these days, write people off as rubbish after a single - tell everyone telling me otherwise that they're wrong - then listen to more of their stuff and have to make a hasty repostioning.

Anyone else brave enough to admit similar?

?????

:confused:

What do you want to discuss?

Your thread tilte is very misleading.
I thought you're asking a question to the people who heard Hand In Glove in 1983.

Re: So it's 1983, "Hand In Glove" has just come out, what is your opinion on The Smit

I thought it was so so,musically not great but was intrigued by the lyrics.
I wanted to hear more!

Re: So it's 1983, "Hand In Glove" has just come out, what is your opinion on The Smit

Obviously, I would have loved the song.

And I would have found Morrissey to be quite an interesting person, personally.

Just a bit of fun really, but I personally think I would have hated Morrissey (militant vegetarian, pretentious quotes in interviews, the 'look' etc) up until the second album came out. I'm still not a big fan of a lot of the material on the first album, lots of odd subject matter for subject matters sake, but listening to it in terms of the rest of the catalogue it makes sense.

Same sorta thing as I do these days, write people off as rubbish after a single - tell everyone telling me otherwise that they're wrong - then listen to more of their stuff and have to make a hasty repostioning.

well, the difference is time

now you have internet, and too many info on bands you never heard of

50/60/70/80's till the videoclips comes importaint and and a marketing product

not living in Brittain, difficult to hear other music that musiccharts songs

when I heard the Smiths, it was like my secret, no one knows this band,
ther were 2 radiostations who played on their aurplay day
[we had a difficult to explain radio programme, about 8 stations with 6
daytime radio, and evening radio was on certain days other stations[
VARA on tuesdays played alternative muusic, well NME music, wednesdays
afternoon was the day VPRO they had major infuence on pluggin alternative
bands, at evenings sunday I'm not sure it was KRO OR ncrv got LIVE GIGS
and also songs which you won't hear on daytime chartmusic stations

so,hearing the Smiths was like discover a treasure

it's difficult enough to explain Dutch radio in the 80's but it was also mouth to
mouth , hey have you heard this.
In Eindhoven was a good alternative record store who sold the Smiths 7', 12'
and their albums, after 85 most of the recorstores sold Smiths allbums

satisfied, or did I understand yopur point of vieuw not that well?
[be homoust, I can handle it, I take pills:crazy:]

the 80's the years of me life:tears:

Last edited:
Re: ?????

:confused:

What do you want to discuss?

Your thread tilte is very misleading.
I thought you're asking a question to the people who heard Hand In Glove in 1983.

If you (as Kewpie from 2010) had been the person you are now in 1983, hearing The Smiths for the very first time with no knowledge of the future, what would your opinions on them be?
I realise this is a clearer, if slightly wordier, title for the thread.

I think I would have taken a liking to him/them instantly, I'm not just saying this, I'm sure.

Cos I'm 16 now and I like him/them now, I think if I was 16 in 1983 my reaction would be pretty much the same

I think I would have taken a liking to him/them instantly, I'm not just saying this, I'm sure.

Cos I'm 16 now and I like him/them now, I think if I was 16 in 1983 my reaction would be pretty much the same

Even with just the first single/album to go on?

Even with just the first single/album to go on?

Yes. Because Hand In Glove was actually the first Smiths song I heard anyway and I just immediately liked it. So its kind of like I had the same experience as those kids in 1983, because I heard just one song almost by accident - they never play The Smiths on radio or anywhere so that was the first I had heard of them properly

Call me delusional maybe but I think The Smiths are timeless and any kid who hears their music now or in the future even will have exactly the same expirience as those lucky ones in the 80's.

I was entranced and smitten.

Yes. Because Hand In Glove was actually the first Smiths song I heard anyway and I just immediately liked it. So its kind of like I had the same experience as those kids in 1983, because I heard just one song almost by accident - they never play The Smiths on radio or anywhere so that was the first I had heard of them properly

Call me delusional maybe but I think The Smiths are timeless and any kid who hears their music now or in the future even will have exactly the same expirience as those lucky ones in the 80's.

True, I'd say they're timeless too. But they're now represented with various "best of" compilations, four albums and guides to their best songs. It took me about two years to begin to see the differences between The Smiths and Morrissey's solo work (beyond the obvious). People who listen now have approaching thirty years of music to listen to, rather than twelve songs.

This isn't an "are The Smiths any good thread" it's more "would you have noticed that straight away". I wouldn't have.

This isn't an "are The Smiths any good thread" it's more "would you have noticed that straight away". I wouldn't have.

Not for Hand In Glove but when the first Peel session was broadcast on 31st May 1983,they stood out a mile !
Handsome Devil
Reel Around The Fountain
Miserable Lie
What Difference Does It Make?

I'd never heard anything like it.

Well, for me it's not hypothetical. I was around at the time, and discovered them upon seeing the flower-waving performance of This Charming Man on Swedish TV, at the age of 13 thereabouts. Not long after, I taped Hand in Glove and What Difference Does it Make? from some radio program. And I loved it - the music struck an instant chord with me. It was no gradual thing, at least not for me.

cheers

A lot more interesting and different than what XFM voted in their top 10 of all time 1,000 greatest records.

10 Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger
9 Muse - Plug In Baby
8 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
7 Oasis - Wonderwall
6 Elbow - One Day Like This
5 Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire
4 Muse - Knights Of Cydonia
3 Oasis - Live Forever
2 Arctic Monkeys - I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor
1 The Killers - Mr Brightside
send to a friendbookmarkwhat is bookmarking?

True, I'd say they're timeless too. But they're now represented with various "best of" compilations, four albums and guides to their best songs. It took me about two years to begin to see the differences between The Smiths and Morrissey's solo work (beyond the obvious). People who listen now have approaching thirty years of music to listen to, rather than twelve songs.

Well, I'm basing this on my expirience, which is that I heard Hand In Glove, and it was immediately like, wow, I need to find out more about them. I knew absolutely nothing about The Smiths before that.

So I think I would have noticed straight away - because I did.:)

Last edited:

I never liked Hand In Glove. . . I remember not liking it the first time I heard it. So in '83 I might have reluctantly bought the s/t album but I wouldn't have paid attention to them until Queen Is Dead.

Loved it on first hearing, still love it now. Never stopped loving The Smiths.

Peter

Well, for me it's not hypothetical. I was around at the time, and discovered them upon seeing the flower-waving performance of This Charming Man on Swedish TV, at the age of 13 thereabouts. Not long after, I taped Hand in Glove and What Difference Does it Make? from some radio program. And I loved it - the music struck an instant chord with me. It was no gradual thing, at least not for me.

Same here. Hatful of Hollow was the first album I heard by them back in the mid-80s and remains one of my favorites (and one of the band's favorites) to this day. A brilliant album. Meanwhile, Strangeways, the last one recorded and the last one I got to hear, is one of my least favorites. The interviews and articles I read didn't dissuade me at all. (I recall reading a blurb on them (that mentioned Morrissey's hearing aid) in People magazine, of all things, in a dentist's office.)

Re: Hand In Glove & The Smiths

If you (as Kewpie from 2010) had been the person you are now in 1983, hearing The Smiths for the very first time with no knowledge of the future, what would your opinions on them be?
I realise this is a clearer, if slightly wordier, title for the thread.

I knew Smiths through music magazines in 83, but at that time I was living in the remote area of the country where had no import record shop.

Finally I heard their songs on the radio in March 84, but despite recording the programme I didn't pay attention them very much.

However, on 16th September 1984 I heard 'William, It Was really Nothing' on the radio (same station, different programme) instantly fell in love with them.
The next day I rang Japanese record company Tokuma Japan which had contract with Rough Trade, spoke to the person in charge of RT, found out about that they're setting up official Japanese FC (I was the 10th member to join).
I regretted to waste 6 months to realise the greatness of The Smiths (glad it didn't take me 6 years).
Since then I haven't stopped loving them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom