So, it happens. Finally. (When I met Moz)

W

Wilde Irish Rose

Ok. It's actually three weeks after the fact, and it feels like zen. I knew it would happen someday, i was too lazy to go to shows, i was too timid to track him around, i always had a feeling in the back of my mind that one day i would probably just bump into him in a nonconsequential fashion when I would least expect and I would be (knowing my luck) unprepared...I have been a fan since the age of 14, I am 21 now, and I have gone through so many highs and lows to the soundtrack provided by Morrissey and the Smiths, have the albums, videos, posters, tacky badges, and what not. I connected with all the music when i needed something to comfort me, because prozac was not doing the trick (the drugs in fact DON'T work!) and dreamed of the day when i would finally come face to face with my idol. I can say the last year I grew away, and became a corporate slag, and felt that I had moved on from the whole wanting to meet him stage.
OK! So now I'll get to the whole point of my e-mail, i was at the Cat and Fiddle on Sunset in Hollywood drinking my Tenants lager and eating chips, excited to see the Lo-Fidelity Allstars across the street...I was blabbing away to my friends, my back was turned to the door of the bar, and all of the sudden, my friend turns red and repeats "Oh, god, you will not believe who is behind you, you will not believe who is behind you!!" She explained that Morrissey had just walked in, and i didn't believe her, but i figured I might as well turn around and humor her and then my heart fell to my stomach and I was instantly transported to the first time I heard "Stop me if You've Heard this One Before.", and I realized that it was HIM. And he was with 3 companions, and they decided to eat outside. The momentary shock gave way to deciding that I didn't want to disturb his meal, and that too many people do that to him, bla bla blah! My friends rebutted with "You are never going to forgive yourself if you don't say hi." It took another whiskey sour to work up the nerve to quietly walk over to the corner table. I put my hand on his shoulder and said "Excuse me, I am so sorry to disturb you, but i've been a fan over a decade, and I would feel like an idiot if I didn't at least tell you that." As I stood there waiting to hear a Thank you, now leave, I heard a familiar voice say "Well thank you, pull up a seat." I could'nt feel my legs after i heard that so I took a seat right next to him and introduced myself to the three gals that he was with (nice folk) and asked for his autograph...I pulled out a Sharpie, and tried to pop the cap off, but was having massive difficulty, Morrissey said "here, give it to (I forgot her name, but she was sitting next to me)she has tremendous strength." Of course, she was able to open my Sharpie, and as she did so, Morrissey asked about my sweatshirt, and i explained that it was a skateboard company, and that it was ironic, because i have never been on a skateboard in my life. Then i asked them if they were going to the show, and when Morrissey asked who it was, I explained it was just some upstart band from London :). That's when he unleashed the line that was true Morrissey "Well, I'll probably be the highlight of your night." To which he laughed and said that he was just kidding, and I promptly informed him that when all was said and done, he was going to be correct. We took a picture together, I thanked his companions for their paitence, and thanked Morrissey for his kindness (among many, many other things!) and promptly went over to my friends, who all were standing there open-mouthed. I waited to collapse in giddiness until i was far away enough from the bar, to not sound like a complete idiot. I am looking at the picture of us, and i sometimes think of questions i should of asked, or things i would like to say, that sort of thing, but perhaps i'll bump into him again...I have a gorgeous picture of him (of course, i look like I have a sharp stick up my arse)and me and that's fine, if I ever bump into him again, a drink or a bite to eat will be in order...with an old friend.

Thanks for letting me ramble on, and hello to all former Askers (you know who you are!!)of yesteryear....I need dance my legs down to the knees! (or perhaps i'll just go to bed...)
WIR;)

I just wanted to amend my last posting, I looked at the whole Eagle Rock Bowlorama thing (that sounded fun...) and now it makes total sense now why he was in LA (nice pictures Kevin, Monica and Nelson!)
and i know i'm not the last or first fan to meet him and all of that, but i suppose I that shows how out of the loop i have been. Bugger.

Cheers,
WIR;)

Wow, what a wonderful story - you've just lived out the fantasies of a lot of us! : )

That Morrissey - always "ready with ready wit."

Back
Top Bottom