So...does ANYONE like the new songs?

Re: I think we can all agree that Morrissey's 3 new songs are pretty bad

I didn't hear the interview.. did he say these were basically demos?

I don't believe there was an interview. But Janice confirmed that all three songs were completed in an hour, and they don't sound mastered to any sizable degree -- these recordings were JUST for this session (hopefully Moz has more sense than to lob these out to record companies in hope of a deal -- if he isn't in talks with a company by this point, it might have been a bad idea to have put them out like this at all).

I think I more enjoyed the fact that Morrissey had some Germolene in his bag.

I rather like the new songs. The lyrics are interesting and misanthropic. The music is... we know how the music has been.

I can't help thinking that I preferred 'Safe, Warm Lancashire Home' and 'Treat Me Like A Human Being', but perhaps I am in a minority (as usual).

theyll be growers but maybe not classics.however morrisseys music has stood the test of time unlike other supposedly talented people,
personaly i liked em,,,,,,,,,,, morrisseys a journey not five minutes of fame and im with him all the way ,,,,,,,,

The introduction to "Action Is My Middle Name" is lovely. With a bit of spit and polish the song will turn out ok. Not wonderful, but not terrible. For "People Are The Same Everywhere", it is heavily New York Dolls and really is too much like the songs on "Years of Refusal". I can pass on it. I find Morrissey vocals too high for him. He's singing over the music and not with the music. "The Kids A Looker" does alright.

All the song titles sound like they been lifted from the 1970's. Do people refer to someone as a "looker" these days? Action is my middle name sounds like something Delboy would say.

Still good to have Morrissey around.

I didn't hear the interview.. did he say these were basically demos?

There was no interview...

The strength of Morrissey's work is precisely the fact that it's not about instant catchiness.

Are you kidding? All of his great songs since The Smiths have instantly hummable hooks that you can't get out of your head. The strength of his work is (was) his mastery of the pop song. You're living on another planet.

Me too.

Where is this Moz Army of which you speak? Because this is the battlefield. :squiffy:

I like to think of MozArmy as the nicer, politer & more accessible version of this forum, we do quizes and stuff, its all very cute. :o

I like to think of MozArmy as the nicer, politer & more accessible version of this forum, we do quizes and stuff, its all very cute. :o

So, it's like the Muppet Babies?

Live,they worked really well.

I think these three songs are good enough to be part of an album and not only merely b-sides. I admit that "Action" reminds me of "Paris", but I like it and I don't guess any one of them is bad. "People" is well-played. "Action" is funny and has genuine Morrissey's lyrics. "Kid" is the less perfect of them.

Despite the stench of disappointment on this forum about the new songs, I am actually very hopefully for and dare I say excited about the new album. I like all three songs especially "Action is my Middle Name". That song is encouragement that Morrissey has indeed grown. I am very pleased. And in regards to fans here worrying about him becoming a faded pop star, the thing is Morrissey hasn't really changed at his core. But his fans did. And ironically most note his stagnation musically, even I was concerned about this, but Morrissey continues to experiment, explore and expand even at the expense of not having everyone love it, whether it be his critics or his fans. It seems that some here are fixated on the past "glories", while Morrissey is just trying to move on.

"action" is the epitome of morrissey by numbers

musically i'm pretty into the boy's a looker but christ the lyrics are bad and i can't get over the hypocrisy of him criticizing "crass consumers"

god, i hope you lot aint going to any of the gigs i am

I don't believe ANYONE likes these songs. Including Morrissey.

He'll confess as soon as he has some new songs that don't suck.

Only the pathetically easy-to-please will find any solace in these songs. The rest of us are shaking our heads sadly in dismay and wondering if Morrissey will ever care enough to give us quality songwriting again? Will he ever craft a song with as much care as "Now My Heart Is Full," "Speedway," or "Come Back To Camden"? Or has it come to this? Off-the-top-of-his-head words sung over a series of dull power chords.

I think the first step is for Morrissey to sack his entire band (yes, Boz included) and work with a new songwriting partner. He needs to admit he's stuck in a rut and needs a guitarist that can craft something beautiful to inspire him again. At least, I hope that would inspire him again... but perhaps he's beyond inspiration now? I suppose only time will tell...

I totally agree.

The music to two of them is the usual dirge that's been offered up of late and Moz's lyrics don't appear to be what they once were. And if you're going to la la la at least la la la to a f***ing tune. Uurrggghh.

I think Action is my middle name is alright to be honest. Pretty catchy.

Back
Top Bottom