So...does ANYONE like the new songs?

Re: I think we can all agree that Morrissey's 3 new songs are pretty bad

I quite liked them.

The Twitter MozArmy all seemed to be in agreement that they were good songs as well :D

Me too.

Where is this Moz Army of which you speak? Because this is the battlefield. :squiffy:

The strength of Morrissey's work is precisely the fact that it's not about instant catchiness. Nothing he has ever recorded has grabbed me instantly, though much of it (but by no means all of it) I've grown to love.

How people can profess to speak so authoritatively about three new songs, hurriedly recorded and "produced" in less than an hour for a Janice Long show session, and only broadcast for the first time fourteen hours ago, is, frankly beyond me. The rush to negative judgement (what else would you expect on So-Low?) is amply demonstrated by the acres of criticism devoted to the La-La's on The Kid's A Looker ("unfinished lyrics", "ran out of inspiration" etc etc) when in fact it's obvious to an infant, given the song's subject, that the La-La's are simply the meaningless vocals of the latest American Idol.

I'm reserving my judgement because I'm not a twat aching to say something controversial.

Why do I always hear All You Need Is Me when I read the pathetic, mean-spirited sniping on this site?

I really like all three of the new songs. To my ears they sound very "Morrissey." He's giving me exactly what I want and I'm so very thankful for it!

The strength of Morrissey's work is precisely the fact that it's not about instant catchiness. Nothing he has ever recorded has grabbed me instantly, though much of it (but by no means all of it) I've grown to love.

How people can profess to speak so authoritatively about three new songs, hurriedly recorded and "produced" in less than an hour for a Janice Long show session, and only broadcast for the first time fourteen hours ago, is, frankly beyond me. The rush to negative judgement (what else would you expect on So-Low?) is amply demonstrated by the acres of criticism devoted to the La-La's on The Kid's A Looker ("unfinished lyrics", "ran out of inspiration" etc etc) when in fact it's obvious to an infant, given the song's subject, that the La-La's are simply the meaningless vocals of the latest American Idol.

I'm reserving my judgement because I'm not a twat aching to say something controversial.

Why do I always hear All You Need Is Me when I read the pathetic, mean-spirited sniping on this site?

Brilliant.

A song is a song is a song. I thought the music and the lyrics of these three new efforts was poor and I have been very critical because I know how GOOD SPM can be.

I'd rather be a controversial twat and say how I really feel about these 'efforts' than feast on any old throwaway ditty he feels is good enough for his fans.

I think it's another symptom of something a tad wrong in the World of Morrissey - a new direction, possibly a new writer, to beat off the stagnation is required.

Only the pathetically easy-to-please will find any solace in these songs. The rest of us are shaking our heads sadly in dismay and wondering if Morrissey will ever care enough to give us quality songwriting again? Will he ever craft a song with as much care as "Now My Heart Is Full," "Speedway," or "Come Back To Camden"? Or has it come to this? Off-the-top-of-his-head words sung over a series of dull power chords.

I think the first step is for Morrissey to sack his entire band (yes, Boz included) and work with a new songwriting partner. He needs to admit he's stuck in a rut and needs a guitarist that can craft something beautiful to inspire him again. At least, I hope that would inspire him again... but perhaps he's beyond inspiration now? I suppose only time will tell...

This.
Personally I think that as long as Morrissey doesn't try to fob slightly more polished recordings of these tracks off as anything other than B-sides, he should be good. They all seem to be written in that vein, so to speak, and it appears that his more recent B-sides seem to be hit-and-miss and open to subjectivity as far as his fans are concerned. That is, for example, it seems to me that quite a lot of his fans adore "My Dearest Love" -- I think I remember someone comparing it to "There Is A Light" -- but I for one don't particularly see anything overwhelmingly elegant about it. To me, though, I'm not particularly bothered if single B-sides are weak, because I rarely actually go out and buy the singles. I'd certainly be disappointed though if Morrissey considered the performances in these new recordings as album or even single-worthy, but I doubt he does -- collectively they only took an hour, and I think more people need to keep this in mind when criticizing the recording. Like I said, in regards to the writing of these songs, they sound like intended B-sides to me, and thus, their intended quality doesn't bother me much. If they are ever included in a future compilation which I may one day choose to buy, I can always hit "skip" :D

Brilliant.

A song is a song is a song. I thought the music and the lyrics of these three new efforts was poor and I have been very critical because I know how GOOD SPM can be.

I'd rather be a controversial twat and say how I really feel about these 'efforts' than feast on any old throwaway ditty he feels is good enough for his fans.

I think it's another symptom of something a tad wrong in the World of Morrissey - a new direction, possibly a new writer, to beat off the stagnation is required.

What Stagnation??!!!!!?!???!:squiffy::squiffy:

Everyone keeps saying this, I don't get it. Do you want to hear a Morrissey song or is he supposed to sound like the Gorillaz?

Well I nodded off just before the show started last night and missed them all, so thanks to all who have posted links etc.... as for the tracks I have only just had time to listen to them, but I Instantly liked "Action Is My Middle Name" The piano Intro is just Lovely, wouldn't have minded hearing a bit more of that. :)

What Stagnation??!!!!!?!???!:squiffy::squiffy:

Everyone keeps saying this, I don't get it. Do you want to hear a Morrissey song or is he supposed to sound like the Gorillaz?

Morrissey and co. managed to sound completely different on Vauxhall and I than he did on Your Arsenal...which was different from Kill Uncle and Viva Hate...and different from Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar and You Are The Quarry.

If yesterday was any indication, his last 3 albums will sound virtually the same...

THAT is stagnation.

i got excited when the piano into kicked in at the start, but as soon as the band piped up all my hope diminished, 'action' is the best song of the 3. the other 2 are alright, none are terrible but none are near great.

happened to be listening to the smiths in the car on the way home, why is it lyrically one verse from any one smiffs song is in another league to what was offered last night in these new songs. I'm also fed up of morrissey having to shout his words to be heard, this rock sound is really starting to grate, if moz was willing to change then he is possible of making great records again like bona drag, your arsenal at al... it wont happen now and its just a shame i guess

STILL he offers us hope, it could be worse,

Cher Llloyd's new single has been leaked and if that's the future of music we've had it http://omfgmusic.blogspot.com/2011/06/download-cher-lloyds-first-single.html

The tune to 'Action...' reminded me of the tune to 'I Can Have Both'. I very much liked it. I agree on first listen the other two are a bit dodgy though.

i fear these songs (most probably all 3) will be included in the setlist for the tour, and that makes me sad.

Two songs were decent and one was pretty bad if you ask me.

What the man needs is another guitarist. Tobias, sorry mate, I've cut you some slack in the past but I want whyte back.

and Boz, get a grip as well.

Also: action is my middle name needs Visconti.

The kid's a looker could be kinda like "the boy racer".

and people... well sorry i didn't like that song to be honest:blushing:

I quite like "Action is My Middle Name." It's catchy, and it has that almost visceral, late-period Morrissey menace to it. I'm assuming that this is the Alain Whyte tune that's been kicking around; that's probably why it stands up. The end needs a bit of touching-up.

"Kid's a Looker" is a throwaway: not good, not terrible.

As for "People are the Same Everywhere," I can't decide how I feel about it. The music is decent, and the lyrics are at least interesting, but Morrissey's unrelenting negativity is beginning to weigh a bit heavily on me.

I still love the man, and I cannot wait to see him live, but there's barely a glimmer of light in his work these days. It's all hard edges, bombast and bile. No one does bombast and bile better than Morrissey, but if there's any vulnerability or playfulness left in him, he should let us hear it.

As others have noted, the fact that he has to consistently shout his vocals isn't good on any level: it isn't good for his voice, and it wears on the ears. Morrissey is never more effective than when he's laying on that seductive, velvety, intimate, world-conquering croon.

Still, I live in hope.

I'd certainly be disappointed though if Morrissey considered the performances in these new recordings as album or even single-worthy, but I doubt he does -- collectively they only took an hour, and I think more people need to keep this in mind when criticizing the recording.

I didn't hear the interview.. did he say these were basically demos?

He does offer hope, but it always confuses me when people suggest that singers like Cher Lloyd and P-Diddy or whoever are the 'future of music'. There have always been groups and singers of that style (i.e. rubbish, but that is, of course, merely subjective opinion), just as there have always been other (i.e. brilliant) groups. Yes, the Black Eyed Peas might exist, but so do Kasabian. And perhaps Jessie J makes music, but so does Jack White. Cheryl Cole is releasing albums? Just go and listen to Florence and the Machine or Tame Impala or someone.

I mean, the Doctor Who theme has been the best music for the past five decades. We'll be okay, no matter how popular people like Cher Lloyd get. You just have to search.

Back
Top Bottom