So...does ANYONE like the new songs?

I like them. I see where he's going with most of these songs. I'm guessing only "Action Is My Middle Name" will be on the long-player. (I wonder if this is the finally completed version of "Action Man"?)

The only nice thing I have to say about these new songs is at least "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell" isn't the worst thing he's ever written anymore.

Cheers

Re: I think we can all agree that Morrissey's 3 new songs are pretty bad

The thing is the product is stagnant. I think Moz has just about exhausted the polished LA pop rock sound he latched on to in 1997 and having a conveyer belt machine for new material isn't helping.

For the record I like the musicians - I think they are good players and good people. I however do not think Jesse is an adequate songwriter and Alain's tunes suffer from not having their actual author partaking in their performance. Boz can conjure one or two good efforts an era but only that.

Sigh. It's all very sad.

All of them?!

Yes...The kids a looker had a good start, but the la la etc dragged on a bit....thats my main complaint...otherwise they were not that bad at all....I
fell in love with "Action" after about 25 seconds.....I've heard MUCH worse from More "Popular" pop-stars for the last few years....

Yes...The kids a looker had a good start, but the la la etc dragged on a bit....thats my main complaint...otherwise they were not that bad at all....I
fell in love with "Action" after about 25 seconds.....I've heard MUCH worse from More "Popular" pop-stars for the last few years....

I agree, I fell in love with 'Action' as soon as I heard the first few lyrics!

It bodes well for me if the consensus is negative.

Reminds me of when Southpaw Grammar came out.

:D

No southpaw grammar was bad because there was loads of instrumentation and songs about British working classes which I didn't understand

**is two thirds of the posters on Morrissey-solo**

Having heard them several times now on my ipod I can honestly say they start to grow on you and it's far fom top notch material and I stand by my initial point on the poor renditions and Morrissey's voice but with some production and finished lyrics evn though the la la la's are part of the song they can be average to good albumtracks especially action is my middlename!

Having heard them several times now on my ipod I can honestly say they start to grow on you and it's far fom top notch material and I stand by my initial point on the poor renditions and Morrissey's voice but with some production and finished lyrics evn though the la la la's are part of the song they can be average to good albumtracks especially action is my middlename!

No southpaw grammar was bad because there was loads of instrumentation and songs about British working classes which I didn't understand

**is two thirds of the posters on Morrissey-solo**

Shouldn't the majority of his fanbase be British? Lol.

I like the new songs. My favorite was "The Kid's a Looker".

I think they will sound great live in concert and hopefully, there will be an album released.

Re: Southpaw Grammar - whatever people thought of it then, or now, it didn't sound like any of the Smiths or solo albums that came before it.
These three new songs would probably have been received more enthustically post-Maladjusted or even Quarry but I sense fans are growing weary of the sameness. Doesn't mean one or more of them won't find their footing as good live tunes though.

Morrissey producing new music a great thing -- it doesn't mean it's all brilliant (or even very good) but I never want to take it for granted.

Last edited:
Morrissey producing new music a great thing -- it doesn't mean it's all brilliant (or even very good) but I never want to take it for granted.

That I believe is the main point overlooked; that Morrissey is making new music.

I personally can't live on previously unreleased material forever, you know? :D

Back
Top Bottom