So...does ANYONE like the new songs?

I like a few of the lyrics to 'The Kid's A Looker', and would like it a whole lot more without the la la la refrain in the chorus...

But the rest, meh.

I kind of liked the lalalalalalalala-parts since the point obviously is to make fun of the nonsens non-stars.

I kind of liked the lalalalalalalala-parts since the point obviously is to make fun of the nonsens non-stars.

Well, what I'm trying to say is, in each chorus, he does the "la la" bit twice. Once in each chorus would have been enough.

Action Is My Middle Name is really growing on me. It's lyrically, melodically and vocally the strongest of the three songs.

The Kid's A Looker - I really think he's dropped the ball with this one as for once, I prefer the music to the vocals and lyrics. It's a strange little tune and could have went off into an interesting song but it just trundles on by and the LA-LA-LA's don't even seem to fit with the melody. Very dissapointed in this which is a shame as it had potential to be a storming little song live.

People Are The Same Everywhere - I've seen some people commenting that this is very NY Dolls-esque and the broken refrain of "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" certainly hints at a common ancestor. But again, lyrically it's lacking and - of more importance to me anyways - it's terrible vocally. The climb up the scales to the "EVERYWHERE!" is too much for him now and is the type of delivery he should be avoiding. Putting that song on the setlist, with him having to strain to reach the note and be heard over the crash of the band is asking for trouble. His voice will blow out after 3 gigs if he chases that note again and again.

I went to bed dissapointed last night but I still have faith. I think the consensus is that AIMMN is a Whyte tune while the others are either Boz or Tobias - it says much that if true I preffered their contribution than Morrisseys.

Still, live shows and a possible autobiography this year will more than make up for some sub-standard songs in my book.

Well... "People..." is the weakest - distinctly average fare which with a lot of work could still make a decent enough track.

"The Kid's A Looker" could make a great throwaway b-side and storming live song. The la-la-la section sounds like another song by someone else - The Libertines, perhaps?

"Action..." is the best by far, very catchy, with a lot of potential, although it seems to end mid-song just as it's getting into its stride.

Admittedly these aren't vintage Moz songs by any means, but they are on a par with the last session, I suppose. I think the disappointing thing is the lyrics seem somewhat generalised to me and there's no indication of any interesting new musical direction. I wouldn't be too surprised if we didn't hear of one of these again. That said, although there isn't a classic here or any potential single, there is still a lot to enjoy.

Action Is My Middle Name is really growing on me. It's lyrically, melodically and vocally the strongest of the three songs.

The Kid's A Looker - I really think he's dropped the ball with this one as for once, I prefer the music to the vocals and lyrics. It's a strange little tune and could have went off into an interesting song but it just trundles on by and the LA-LA-LA's don't even seem to fit with the melody. Very dissapointed in this which is a shame as it had potential to be a storming little song live.

People Are The Same Everywhere - I've seen some people commenting that this is very NY Dolls-esque and the broken refrain of "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" certainly hints at a common ancestor. But again, lyrically it's lacking and - of more importance to me anyways - it's terrible vocally. The climb up the scales to the "EVERYWHERE!" is too much for him now and is the type of delivery he should be avoiding. Putting that song on the setlist, with him having to strain to reach the note and be heard over the crash of the band is asking for trouble. His voice will blow out after 3 gigs if he chases that note again and again.

I went to bed dissapointed last night but I still have faith. I think the consensus is that AIMMN is a Whyte tune while the others are either Boz or Tobias - it says much that if true I preffered their contribution than Morrisseys.

Still, live shows and a possible autobiography this year will more than make up for some sub-standard songs in my book.

Kind of agree with everything there, particularly the high note in PATSE. I imagine that it will probably end up being played down a semitone like Something is Squeezing My Skull ended up live.

I really do like Action is My Middle Name, nice to hear Morrissey at his most lusty since his Skin Storm cover! You can hear Boz's rockabilly influence in there on one of the tracks to I'd say, and after an initial reaction, I think I can say they've grown a little on me.
I think however, lyrically, the other two leave a lot to be desired. I do think that when done in studio it will probably sound much better, and with a decent producer (Street?) these could be tidied up nicely. Jerry Finn was a producer who revelled in the college rock, Blink 182 genre, and so all the Jesse songs were clearly produced to sound like that, but I feel if say Stephen Street got hold of these songs, he could perhaps tweak them and make them a little different.
I know the whole distorted guitars sound has a love it/loathe it thing, but clearly it is here to stay. Morrissey is obviously more than happy with this direction, and so it would seem to me that it is going to be more of the same for the foreseeable future.

The only nice thing I have to say about these new songs is at least "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell" isn't the worst thing he's ever written anymore.

I think we can all agree that Morrissey's 3 new songs are pretty bad

Maybe there's not much else to say? Let's hope these are just future b-sides and he has fantastic new singles to unveil? But, Morrissey used to have killer songs on the b-sides, too.....

I liked the lyrics to "People Are The Same Everywhere". The music - not at all.

Didn't like anything about the other two.

I realize the songs are in a primitive state, but I can't imagine them being dressed up enough for anyone to give a sh*t.

I ain't a hater. I like most of his last few albums. But I remember hearing demo-level versions of songs for "You Are The Quarry" well before that album was recorded and those songs still sounded cool. I put 'em on a CD and played 'em for anyone who would listen, to get them excited about the imminent new Morrissey album. These songs? I ain't gonna tell anyone to have a listen 'cause they'd just be like, "Get the f*** outta here with this sh*t!" And they'd be right.

It's sad.

Is it time for Morrissey to get off the stage? Or get a new band?

Last edited:
Re: I think we can all agree that Morrissey's 3 new songs are pretty bad

I quite liked them.

The Twitter MozArmy all seemed to be in agreement that they were good songs as well :D

I dare say he sounds...pitchy?! "People are the same everywaaaaaaaaaaare!"

Oy vey. Even though they're only rough tracks, they still sound icky.

I dare say he sounds...pitchy?! "People are the same everywaaaaaaaaaaare!"

Oy vey. Even though they're only rough tracks, they still sound icky.

Sticky icky?

The only nice thing I have to say about these new songs is at least "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell" isn't the worst thing he's ever written anymore.

Isn't 'People Are The Same Everywhere' basically that song anyway?

Back
Top Bottom