So...does ANYONE like the new songs?

Re: I think we can all agree that Morrissey's 3 new songs are pretty bad

So you're offended that he's calling YOU a crass consumer? That doesn't make HIM a hypocrite.

you're speaking too literally. the song is about "the system", which he most certainly is a part of. were it not for the "crass consumers" that he himself markets himself to, he wouldn't have a career. yet, in the song he seems to be putting himself above it all. it's hypocritical. i'm not personally offended at all.

you're speaking too literally. the song is about "the system", which he most certainly is a part of. were it not for the "crass consumers" that he himself markets himself to, he wouldn't have a career. yet, in the song he seems to be putting himself above it all. it's hypocritical. i'm not personally offended at all.

I know. I was being difficult. Just ignore me.

In short NO,more of the same tuneless YOR rubbish with poor lyrics, you might get one half decent song if you merged the three songs together.

Hopefully stephen street will be back and replace boz who seems to be writing songs on auto pilot.most of the songs have the same tempo and musically leave you feeling numb.

I think there is potential in these songs, but I don't think they are a patch on anything from Years Of Refusal (which, contrary to popular belief, didn't have a bad track on it).

Agree with all of that. I've had one or two fizzing around in my head since I heard them which means they're probably not half as bad as I first thought. They're could do with about ten layers of polish on them to bring them up to standard though.

I like all three new songs the more I listen to them. Very good.

action is my middle name sounds a bit like a poor mans i can have both plus all of the usual tired old tricks from maladjusted-present
I couldn't hear anything BUT I Can Have Both when listening to Action Is My Middle Name.
Especially the chorus, you could play them at the same time with no discord.
I had scanned the entire thread up to your post looking for someone else who thought what I was thinking, I was gobsmacked more people hadn't caught it.

Radio Todayfm DJ and lead singer with The Undertones, Paul McCloone, played Ask tonight, Irish Blood English Heart last night, and spoke about the tour and 3 new songs, remarking that he and his peers were liking what they heard so far.

I love them.

Action - first time I heard it I burst out laughing at the "undertaker" line. Classic Moz. I realise it's quite similar to Paris but it's different enough and clever enough to get away with it!

People - This is great! It sounds very punky, reminds me of his You Say You Dont Love Me cover and the lyrics are just brilliant.

Looker - Not his best. But the lyrics and story are excellent ("Just add cash and stir and there you are, a nonsense non-star"). Tune isnt ground-breaking but hey, no bad! It's grown on me alot, wish he'd played it in Hawick though.

"Just add cash and stir and there you are, another nonsense non-star"

Definitely the best thing about the song. Reminded me of the old Morrissey lyrics this one.

Yep, new songs are good. In particular, Action, which for me has a resignation in it similar to Paris. I'd like to see Moz dressed up in a cape a la Dracula in a video for this one...........but I'm 44 tomorrow and us middle aged ladies must get their fun from somewhere! Seriously though, looking forward to seeing him in Plymouth next week and hearing the new songs live........oh and Moz.......if you do happen to read this, would you consider doing 'How soon is now' please?

Action is certainly growing on me. There is a silmilarity to Paris in terms of construction, and the tune is reminiscent of I can have both, but it has something of it's own. The subject matter recalls 'The more you ignore me...' (which it can't compete with), but there are some decent lyrics and excellent vocal. I'd like to hear a studio version with a slightly different backing. Good song, though.

"Just add cash and stir and there you are, another nonsense non-star"

Definitely the best thing about the song. Reminded me of the old Morrissey lyrics this one.

I wholly agree with you on this. This is the only lyric I care for in all 3 of the new songs.

I'm happy to report that all 3 songs have officially grown on me. I was on the fence about PATSE but I've fully come 'round. :)

I'm happy to report that all 3 songs have officially grown on me. I was on the fence about PATSE but I've fully come 'round. :)

Judas.

Very good news. I'm still on that particular fence, but I'm hoping to be off it one day soon.

It's easier if you decide to like them from the first listen ;)

It's easier if you decide to like them from the first listen ;)

But on first listen they're terrible!

A couple of them are alright after a day or two. Definitely not vintage Moz though. Once I can block out the dirge music I like Action is my middle name and People are the same...

Last edited:
I'm very late commenting on this, only just in the process of converting from regular forum reader into occasional forum contributor...
Anyway, for what it's worth (nothing), I think Action is my Middle Name is a very good song even though it is, as others have pointed out, structurally identical to I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris. I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being the first single from a new album.
I was underwhelmed by People are the Same Everywhere at first, but last weekend the lyrics started coming back to me and finding resonance during a depressing night out on which I was surrounded by mindless drinkers. Nothing like a Moz lyric to make me feel superficially superior to those around me....
I still can't find much love for The Kid's a Looker though... Especially the lyric 'We're busy moulding the face of the kid's replacement'... very clunky and ham fisted for a man of Moz's lyrical capability. I noticed this had dropped off the setlist for the most recent show - let's hope that one disappears quietly.

That Elvis Costello adage becomes more pertinent everyday:

Morrissey writes wonderful song titles, but sadly he often forgets to write the song

Maybe its more reflective on me but I neither have the time nor the inclination to listen repeatedly to songs that were hurriedly recorded for a Janice Long session (I'm being polite)

Seeing them in a live context may make them come alive. But call me old-fashioned I always thought music was primarily an aural pleasure?

Anyway lets hope the Glastonbury set is a 60 minute triumph of substance over weather (and he doesn't play the new stuff)

Back
Top Bottom