So...does ANYONE like the new songs?

The songs you just mentioned are very good (except for Come Back to Camden) but are also overrated considerably. Your assumption that only the "pathetically easy-to-please" will like the new songs is wrong, for how can any Morrissey fan be easy to please? I caution myself to not make sweeping generalizations, but it seems that Morrissey fans are a critical bunch, hence our attachment to an equally critical pop star. Secondly, I don't find solace at all in these songs, I just don't find anything to be impossibly critical about. When I listened to the songs I maintained an open mind, while the negative opinions on this website loomed in my mind. I put my super critical cap on, and while the are definitely improvements to be made, it is not nearly as awful and affirmation-shattering as some posters made it out to be.

If the new album is released and you still find Morrissey's new sound (which isn't very surprising if you consider his influences) intolerable, just put Vauxhall on rotation or something.

I hear you.

I'm sure Viva will hand me my ass for saying this but I'm really starting to like the new songs.

I'm not saying they aren't flawed, I'm not saying I love them, I'm not saying they are up there with his best stuff.

I'm just saying...if you divorce the songs from the expectations, and from the Legend of Morrissey...as actual songs, just as songs to hear...they are actually not too bad. I find them getting stuck in my head and I'm starting to hear the little vocal hooks and the playfulness of the chords. I was riding my bike to the post office today and had them on my iPod and the sun was shining and I found myself really enjoying them.

I think what saves them is him, the way he sings the words, that voice. That voice puts them somewhere otherworldly.
:):guitar: Rock on. And that's the point really is to listen to songs not without a critical eye but without prejudice or trumped up expectations.

Last edited:
Action IS my middle name and that kid IS a looker. I can't get these songs out of my head in other words. LOVE 'EM!

Ninny is a great word. No one says ninny anymore, sadly.

Dr. Smith used to call The Robot that all the time.

danger-will-robinson.jpg

I know that you lily livered lead lined lump! Keep back, you creature!

Re: I think we can all agree that Morrissey's 3 new songs are pretty bad

I agreed with the user who said it sounded a little bit like "Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is actually does a bit. The band maybe running out of a few ideas

More reason for new songwriters and guitarists.

Re: Am I the only one...?

IMO, if any of the new songs were on Ringleader, they'd be the weakest on it.

And that is saying something for an album that has 'The Father Who Must Be Killed' and 'I Just Want To See The Boy Happy' on it!

Weird how my thread got merged into this one when mine had more views and the better title. *CENSORED*

Not sure about the content of the threads. But what else is there to say about such disgustingly awful songs? They failed on every level. Morrissey insulted his fanbase by getting us hyped up for the radio debut of songs that should never have been inflicted upon anyone. He chose a reliable yes-woman to be the DJ debuting them, too.

The real motive: "Let me get myself in the news, so my worshipful fans buy tickets for this tour."

Last edited:

Probably because this thread existed before yours, and the subject title was voiced in an open-ended way, allowing for the possibility that some people might actually like the songs. Your thread was secondary, not to mention unnecessary, considering that, like this thread, you were asking the forum to voice its general consensus regarding the songs...albeit your thread was structured with a negative assumption attached to it, so that you could both ask people their opinion and state your own simultaneously, right there in the thread title...rather than, you know, just voice your opinion somewhere down the line within the existing thread like everyone else.

It's pretty control-freakish for them to merge and shift things about so much.

If it was just my dumb thread, I wouldn't care. Although if you take this policy of NO OVERLAPPING THREADS ALLOWED too far, there could hardly be a new thread at all.

But look down in the Site Feedback forum and you'll see that the mods have been working overtime shifting and merging things about to the dismay of users. DavidT has even had to intervene and overrule their poor judgment.

I was especially puzzled over why they merged and shifted away the very funny "The Positivity of this Site if Terrible" thread. Can someone not even have a laugh in this place? How oppressive!

The moderators want to make things all about them and their crazy moderation decisions? Fine. I would've thought they'd have allowed us to breathe a bit more with all the new activities to discuss.

I'm sure these moderators don't toss and turn at night thinking of new ways to make your life miserable. Your persecution complex seems absurd.

The "positivity/negativity/hypocritical" threads were merged for an obvious reason: they are all debates about the site itself, not about Morrissey, and as such they belong with the "Site Feedback" threads, not the Gen. Discussion (about Morrissey) threads...and they were created within hours or days of each other. The "positivity" thread was an obvious tongue-in-cheek counterpart to the negativity one...they belong together. I'm sure it had nothing to do with stifling anyone's ability to laugh.

Do you have NOTHING else to complain about?

No, the Site Feedback forum is for asking questions about the site, such as, "Can we cut down on tag abuse on this forum?", or, "I think you should change the layout of the Main Page". The threads we're talking about fit in perfectly with the GENERAL DISCUSSION. Discussing, for example, how other fans are reacting to the new Morrissey songs is part of the GENERAL DISCUSSION, not the SITE FEEDBACK. And, making a funny thread satirising how other threads are attacking Morrissey's new songs is also part of the GENERAL DISCUSSION, not SITE FEEDBACK.

The "negativity/positivity" threads were both merged together into another thread and and then strangely relocated into the Site Feedback area so they cannot be found anymore! You approve of that?

One of the problems with this sort of heavy-handed and nonsensical moderation is that we'll just end up talking about the moderators. Is that what they want?

As far as me having a "persecution complex" -- No, I just noticed that all this ridiculous moderation was going on just after I'd seen Kewpie post that she's "fed up" with the criticisms of Morrissey's new music.

Last edited:

For better or worse, the new songs have grown on me; yes, even the wafer-thin The Kid's A Looker, which replayed, and remained, in my head the other night before I drifted off to sleep. And of course, Action Is My Middle Name has become something of a shining gem. Have the songs imrpoved for you?

No, the Site Feedback forum is for asking questions about the site, such as, "Can we cut down on tag abuse on this forum?", or, "I think you should change the layout of the Main Page". The threads we're talking about fit in perfectly with the GENERAL DISCUSSION. Discussing, for example, how other fans are reacting to the new Morrissey songs is part of the GENERAL DISCUSSION, not the SITE FEEDBACK. And, making a funny thread satirising how other threads are attacking Morrissey's new songs is also part of the GENERAL DISCUSSION, not SITE FEEDBACK.

The "negativity/positivity" threads were both merged together into another thread and and then strangely relocated into the Site Feedback area so they cannot be found anymore! You approve of that?

One of the problems with this sort of heavy-handed and nonsensical moderation is that we'll just end up talking about the moderators. Is that what they want?

As far as me having a "persecution complex" -- No, I just noticed that all this ridiculous moderation was going on just after I'd seen Kewpie post that she's "fed up" with the criticisms of Morrissey's new music.

Here's how the Site Feedback forum is defined: "Site Feedback / Suggestions Post any site issues / bugs here. Suggestions are also welcome."

The moderators are merging and shifting things over there in insane fashion.

I like them.

It is entitled "GENERAL DISCUSSION" and under that it says "for general discussion about Morrissey, The Smiths, and related music." It isn't about the fans themselves. Threads entitled, 'this site is so...fill in the blank" DO belong in the SITE FEEDBACK section.

You're suggesting that someone who posts a thread criticisizing some forum members' reactions to new Morrissey songs should be moved to a less-read section that's for reporting technical bugs and the like to the owner of the site?

I could see if you were arguing it should've been moved to the section called Fans/Introductions. Not sure what that section's all about -- is it mostly just people introducing themselves?

The threads we're talking about fit in perfectly with the General Discussion, and maybe also overlapp with Fans/Introductions. They do not at all belong in the section for reporting website bugs and making website suggestions. And it's not just that they get moved. The merging together of multiple threads into one is really annoying and confusing.

Furthermore, I believe some of the threads are moved and merged with malice. Again, Kewpie confessed she was "fed up" with opinions she disagreed with.

BTW, have a look at DavidT's post in the Site Feedback section tonight. He says he doesn't agree with a lot of the moving and merging. I hope the moderators took notice of that. I felt vindicated when he posted that tonight, even if he did take jabs at me while doing so.

I liked all three songs. I quite like hearing them in that very raw state too. I think his voice is stronger than ever if anything...

no i'm saying with all of the comps and other pointless shit that he puts out that's basically what he reduces his fans to. it's really condescending of him to attack people for buying other stuff that isn't his and calling them crass consumers and then complaining when his fans don't buy everything with his name on it.

So you're offended that he's calling YOU a crass consumer? That doesn't make HIM a hypocrite.

I think there is potential in these songs, but I don't think they are a patch on anything from Years Of Refusal (which, contrary to popular belief, didn't have a bad track on it).

Back
Top Bottom