So...does ANYONE like the new songs?

Re: Am I the only one who hates every single new song?

I endorse this statement. Unfortunately when I asked Boz about this on FB a few weeks back he said there were still no plans :(

Tell him it's just what Moz needs. Refreshing, laid back people to take his mind off recent crap. 2002 was so long ago!

Tell him it's just what Moz needs. Refreshing, laid back people to take his mind off recent crap. 2002 was so long ago!

Am looking forward to seeing Morrissey in London.

I'm hoping he might add Paint a Vulgar Picture and drop a couple of the new ones!

Action is my middle name has a good chorus but the rest of the song is mediocre. the kids a looker is rubbish while people are the same everywhere is down there with the worst of his songs youre the one for me fatty and dagenham dave , each of the three songs has lyrics that could be written by a three year old. a couple of lines endlessly repeated.

Unsure what to make of scandinavia.

The Kid's A Looker irritates the hell out of me. I hate his 'preaching to the choir' stuff (besides which, plenty of people have talked and sang about the subject more eloquently already). What's the point of going out in front of a Morrissey audience and telling everyone the X-Factor/Idol shows are bad? Does he think we're all thick? Actually, don't answer that.

Even less nuanced musicianship courtesy of Jesse 'power cord's the name power cord's the game' Tobias.

Jesse doesn't sound too bad when he uses his second guitar, the Gibson Trini Lopez, for some of the slower more delicate songs like Seasick, We'll Let You Know, and Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want. But I agree, the power chords can be overbearing.

Hey Pokey, check your PMs.

Morrissey has been around far too long and accomplished so much for anyone to criticize him. Maybe the time has come to say a sincere Thank You. Morrissey says "thanks" to us at every show. So let's all be appreciative for what we have, Morrissey in our time.

I'm back and forth on the Janice Long songs but I think they're OK. I really like and dislike aspects of each. Looker has a really good riff, Action has a really good chorus, and People has the best chord progression. But, I also think Action is way too precious, People is too Morrissey half-awake trying his best to be Morrissey, and Looker is too lyrically uneven: either great or horrible depending on the line.

Overall, the lyrics on all of them are water treading, by and large. Not bad, not great, occasionally decent...at best.

I think that in a studio with Visconti producing, the songs could sound really good. We'll see.

I still cannot muster even a crumb of enthusiasm for Scandinavia.

Your faith in Visconti is great. Personally I thought he did an awful job on Ringleader. It sounded leaden and jaded even from day one, save for the three stand-out tracks.

It's sad when a pop group require a good producer to make the songs sound bearable but perhaps his band really is that bad? Listen to Jesse crucify This Charming Man. Even that song sounds awful in 2011. So perhaps you're right. Perhaps it's just a case of allowing a producer to rescue what he can from the pig's ear his band seem to make of everything put in their way?

Morrissey has been around far too long and accomplished so much for anyone to criticize him. Maybe the time has come to say a sincere Thank You. Morrissey says "thanks" to us at every show. So let's all be appreciative for what we have, Morrissey in our time.

Let me get this straight - you're saying that simply because he's been in the business a long time, he's now beyond criticism? Please tell me you're not serious. Your relentless fawning is nauseating and embarrassing.

I think Visconti has the name he does for a reason, but it doesn't mean I like his style 100 percent. I think he at this stage of the game is best qualified for the job, because the songs are weak. He could make the most of them. I threw his name in here simply because he is the most recent producer Morrissey used, besides Finn. Personally I think Brendan O'Brien should have a go. I've never heard a record he has set his hand to that didn't sound like polished gold.

I agree that ROTT, which overall I do enjoy, has a leaden feel to it. I don't know if I'd blame it on Visconti or not.

Well I found YATQ and YOR much more bracing. Yes, the musicians are pub rockers but Jerry Finn seemed to be able to largely disguise that fact. Visconti brought it to the fore.

You mention his reputation: yes he has a great rep, based primarily on his sterling work with Bowie and T Rex; however it is a good few years since Visconti did any exciting production work. He was dragged out of enforced retirement by The Seahorses for their rather bland 'Do It Yourself' in 1997 and he's experienced an inexplicable Indian summer ever since.

Like certain other people I know, Visconti is simply coasting on his past reputation. His glory days are long gone and Mozza should find someone a bit more cutting edge if he wants to turn his leaden recent tunes into something dynamic and interesting. Having said all that, it's difficult to see how the combined efforts of Brian Eno, George Harrison and P.Diddy could make 'People Are The Same Everywhere' sound anything other than soporific.

Well an anonymous poster said last year that Morrissey and the lads were recording demos with producer Nigel Godrich. So maybe that's one possible candidate...

Well an anonymous poster said last year that Morrissey and the lads were recording demos with producer Nigel Godrich. So maybe that's one possible candidate...

doubt moz could afford nigel without a record label much less record an album on his own dime.

I like them... "Action Is My Middle Name" being my favorite... It seems like he is not going to do that record I'm waiting for from our man (I would love to see him going down the moreacoustic/experimental path, think of "lifeguard sleeping girl drowning", "Life is a pigsty" or "Maladjusted")... But it will be a good one anyway and a very welcomed one also!

I like them... "Action Is My Middle Name" being my favorite... It seems like he is not going to do that record I'm waiting for from our man (I would love to see him going down the moreacoustic/experimental path, think of "lifeguard sleeping girl drowning", "Life is a pigsty" or "Maladjusted")... But it will be a good one anyway and a very welcomed one also!

Agree with you re: Lifeguard, Maladjusted; a little less so re: Pigsty; but I love 'Teachers Are Afraid' and 'Late Night Maudlin' which are in a similar vein. Scandinavia could end up being similarly spectacular.

It would be interesting to see him do an entire album of more freeform, less obviously pop songs and perhaps the odd torch song thrown in because he's so beautiful at doing them. I think where his band let him down a little is with the more upbeat numbers such as 'All You Need is Me' and 'In The Future When All's Well.' Having said that, 'Skull' was rousing. Often in the more upbeat numbersm the mnusicianship is incredibly bland and cliched, same old pub rock stuff. If he could drop these songs from his album and do a more Vauxhall-esque album, the results could be amazing.

Just think of an album of songs of this type:

Maladjusted
Late Night Maudlin
Good in Your Time
Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed
Ambitious Outsiders
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
Seasick Yet Still Docked
Sorrow Will Come
Lifeguard Sleeping
Speedway
I've Changed My Plea

something along those lines would be very interesting.

Another thing I often notice about Morrissey is that he picks completely the wrong songs to release as singles. Almost without exception he chooses the plodding 'upbeat' numbers like 'Fatty' 'Certain People I know,' 'Roy's Keen' 'Satan Rejected' and 'All You Need is Me' and disregards his more melancholic songs. I wonder if Morrissey had released 'Good in Your Time' 'Paris' and 'Skull' rather than 'All You Need is Me' and 'That's How People grow Up' how much better his singles would have done. I know in the past people didn't buy slower songs, which is why he didn't release them - but these days people don't buy mid-tempo rock guitar tracks either. So maybe he should just plump for the braver options. Something like Maudlin Street or Good in Your Time would stand a better chance - I think - than 'All You Need is Me' - both of charting well, and of winning over new fans. A lot of people who hear appalling upbeat singles like AYNIM and Dagenham Dave think that kind of stuff is all Mozza does!

Agree with you re: Lifeguard, Maladjusted; a little less so re: Pigsty; but I love 'Teachers Are Afraid' and 'Late Night Maudlin' which are in a similar vein. Scandinavia could end up being similarly spectacular.

It would be interesting to see him do an entire album of more freeform, less obviously pop songs and perhaps the odd torch song thrown in because he's so beautiful at doing them. I think where his band let him down a little is with the more upbeat numbers such as 'All You Need is Me' and 'In The Future When All's Well.' Having said that, 'Skull' was rousing. Often in the more upbeat numbersm the mnusicianship is incredibly bland and cliched, same old pub rock stuff. If he could drop these songs from his album and do a more Vauxhall-esque album, the results could be amazing.

Just think of an album of songs of this type:

Maladjusted
Late Night Maudlin
Good in Your Time
Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed
Ambitious Outsiders
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
Seasick Yet Still Docked
Sorrow Will Come
Lifeguard Sleeping
Speedway
I've Changed My Plea

something along those lines would be very interesting.

Another thing I often notice about Morrissey is that he picks completely the wrong songs to release as singles. Almost without exception he chooses the plodding 'upbeat' numbers like 'Fatty' 'Certain People I know,' 'Roy's Keen' 'Satan Rejected' and 'All You Need is Me' and disregards his more melancholic songs. I wonder if Morrissey had released 'Good in Your Time' 'Paris' and 'Skull' rather than 'All You Need is Me' and 'That's How People grow Up' how much better his singles would have done. I know in the past people didn't buy slower songs, which is why he didn't release them - but these days people don't buy mid-tempo rock guitar tracks either. So maybe he should just plump for the braver options. Something like Maudlin Street or Good in Your Time would stand a better chance - I think - than 'All You Need is Me' - both of charting well, and of winning over new fans. A lot of people who hear appalling upbeat singles like AYNIM and Dagenham Dave think that kind of stuff is all Mozza does!

As I recall, 'Paris' and 'Skull' were released as singles.

Back
Top Bottom