Smokers

Bona Drag

whore in retirement
I've been a heavy smoker for the last 14 years. Now I've decided it's time to quit. It's my second day and I don't know if I will succeed, but I'll try my best.
How many of you guys are smokers and how many of you guys are ex-smokers? Would you like to tell us your experience with cigars?

Once again, forgive my english.

I love you guys!!.

I've never been into smoking...because it causes a lot of ugly diseases and ugly teeth too...and I'm into sports...and Morrissey don't smokes...

KEEP ON THE HEALTHY WAY BONA, I KNOW YOU CAN IF YOU WANT!

I've been a smoker for 8 years and i quit 2 months ago...i've tried in the past to quit but always failed. the difference this time:

1) before quitting, i gradually reduced the amount of cigarettes i smoked over the span of 6 months. in the end i was only smoking 1-3 cigarettes a day.

2) then i switched over to nicotine gum...chewing 2 pieces a day, then one, then one every other day. which is where i am at now.

i have cheated a couple times, but only when out with friends and with alcohol in my body...so i don't really count that. it's getting so much easier.

I used to be a very heavy smoker, 40 a day man. One Friday afternoon about 2 years ago I was in the car park at work having a smoke and I thought to myself 'shit its only a week since pay day and I am skint already - why? Its my 10 quid a day smoking habit. At least £300 a month'.

So I bought the strongest patches available, announced to the office I was giving up. They thought I had no chance but I knew if I could last a whole weekend I could break the habit.

Long story short, I stocked up on good food, sweets, chocs loads of lollipops (a la Kojak) and celery sticks. I bolted the door shut on the world for a whole weekend because I knew I would be very moody.

I lasted the whole weekend but it was hell!!! It was like the scene from French Connection II where Gene Hackman is going cold turkey.

2 years on and I have never smoked since. The main deterrent....that weekend, I could not live through that pain and anguish again.

As for the patches they were shit. I woke up on Sunday morning, took the patch off had a shower and it wasnt until 6pm that night that I realised I had not put one on!

To be honest you really have to WANT to give up to kick the habit. Good Luck its hell of an achievement if you can do it.

Hi.

Thanks for your answers. Very kind of you.

Here I am in my 3rd day with no smoke. Yeah, it's really hard, I have this headache and my mouth is dry and taste like shit.
But I really want to quit and have new habits. I mean, I'm vegetarian since 6 years now and I've read that smoking is specially bad for vegetarians. I want to start doing some sport and I'm planning to do some other things to keep my mind busy and far from cigarettes.
I don't know. My way to quit is just quit, I'm not having cigars at all, no nicotine patches or gums, nothing, just quit. I know I'll be happy if I do it and that's what we all want... be a bit happier. Don't we?.
I'll keep telling you my experience, even if I fail.

Thanks very much guys. ;)

I'm rooting for you, Bona Drag. Both my parents are non-smokers and I'd get ripped to shreads if I so much as looked at a cigarette so I know nothing of what you are going through...

I am very impressed by how far you've come though. I've known people who have tried to give up (one a pregnant 18 year old) but didn't have the will power.

So good luck! Keep us informed of your progress. :)

You cannot beat the feeling of achievement you get when you kick the habit. I couldnt stop smiling for weeks. Seriously outweighed any other achievement in my life.

Don't take Zyban! Its crazy shit.

I'm planning on quitting...when the pubs go all no-smoking, may as well enjoy myself till then!

I gave up at christmas 1997 after many unsuccessful attempts over the years with cold turkey, chewing gums,patches,you name it,I tried the lot.

The reason I succeeded that time was because I had a dose of real flu (proper flu not a cold) and for the first few critical days I could not have smoked if I wanted to as I was so rough.The doctor was even called out late on Christmas eve to see me, stinking of drink too he was, my wife told me afterwards as he was driving away.

When I started to recover around ten days later I decided to carry on with the no smoking and the cravings did come on a bit then.However not as bad as they would have done the first day or two which probably would have made me fail again,so I have the flu to thank.

Even now I get the occasional craving,but only for a moment or two and they soon go.They will occur for the rest of my life I have been told by other ex smokers although only if you smoked for a long time like I did before giving up and as the years go by the number of times decreases. I now have around four cravings a year.

One other thing I found that lasted a long time was if I was working on a task or something,I would suddenly think to myself,"I must stop for a fag in a minute" and then think,"hang on,I dont smoke"...Funny that,but it happened alot.

Anyway,that`s my story and I hope you succeed too.

Thanks guys.

4th day. I must confess I had a cigar when I woke up. That cigar is really difficult to reject!!. But I can promess is the only cigar I'll have, I decided, just for the first week. It's that a good idea? Do you think I'm lying to myself? :confused:

The headache continues, and during the day I spend quite a lot of time thinking "I'm dying for a cigarette", it's hard to start thinking about some other thing. Another problem is that I really love coffe and I associate coffe with cigars so I've got to quit from coffe too and caffeine it's quite adictive as well... Oh my Lord!!

I'll tell you more about it. Believe it or not you're a great help guys. ;)

Love.

I used to drink loads of tea but I gave it up when I packed in the smokes. The association is too strong. Try fruit juice or something else instead - also eat a stick of celery when the craving comes - worked for me and you actually burn more calories eating it!

I learnt so much about myself and my habits when I gave up.

I remember working in the US and walking into a bar in Virginia. I felt very naked because I was sat there with a beer and nothing else. I felt that people were watching me because normally I would be puffing away - I would be doing something - rather than sitting there. Bastard Walter Raleigh has a lot to answer for!

i smoke about half a pack of
KretekDjarum-2.jpg

a day

but prefer
d3.jpg

& occassionally
M200503106f2c4c19.jpg

:)

damn...

you know Bona is leaving the cancer sticks, and you hype the vice...it's not fine man

good job quitting......overcoming vices is a sign of strength

I'm a smoker. Completely and utterly hooked on the bastard things. Tried giving up, lasted about 3 days before becoming very pissed off, and almost on the verge of losing my (little bit of) sanity.

Tried the patches, they do nothing.

Damn, I even wake up in the night every hour or two for a smoke.......

Hi guys.

The thing it's going quite well I think. Just one cigar when I wake up.

I'm starting to believe that I can do it.

It's not a big deal I know, but anyway I'll inform you again about it in a few days.

Take care.

Love.

Back
Top Bottom