Smiths themed cryptic in honor of Morrissey's Manchester show - The Guardian

Guardian has a Smiths themed cryptic in honor of Morrissey's Manchester show -

full

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry, but it's sunday and i've got nothing better to do :(

now, im wondering if 3 and 4 is thirty-somethings. seems too obvious, but 'trying the smiths o" has all of the letters
also wondering if 9 across is photoshop, which might be a stretch, but would work for picture package, plus stolen (hot) inserted into post =photos and outlet=shop? (does it? what the f*** is an outlet?) i dont know... anyway.

wouldnt that be embarrassing if i got these all wrong? i'd never be able to show my face around here again. just kidding. as if.

Perfect excuse. The best and the only one possible.
Edit your post by deleting that grumpy smiley, ha, and replace it with a happy one.
I expect a number of these are right. Don't know off course, same as for the few I supplied.
I would have expected more really smith related issues and would have liked that.
So in the end we can still say it was a disappointing cryptic and blame it on the Guardian!
Not to do with our impeccable knowledge, ha.
Gerrit

I looked at the answer and 99% of it still makes no sense :/

I looked at the answer and 99% of it still makes no sense :/

I agree. I am disappointed. It's too much language based and has to little to do with the Smiths.
Only some of the answers are.
I bet there are people here at solo who could make a much more enjoying cryptic.
Not me. English is not my first language but I do like anything this has to do with Smiths and/or Moz.
So I will wait and check the site regularly, for a nice cryptic.
Lazy, I know.
Maybe I should register and pick up username Oblomow.
As long as it's not being taken.
Gerrit

I do the Guardian Cryptic on a Saturday, and the Observer Everyman and Azed on a Sunday. Passes the time. There are set conventions that you only learn by doing these for years and years. I've won a few times, but not as much as my father-in-law, who I'm trying to catch up with. An excellent book on the subject is Alan Connor's "Two Girls, One On Each Knee".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Girls-One-Each-Knee-ebook/dp/B00DH4VYDI

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Solution here - most answers can be parsed, thought some take a stretch of wordplay.

BeGJxNx.jpg

Thanks Uncleskinny. Very informative.
Could I persuade you to create a nice Moz/Smiths cryptic for solo?
Take enough time.
Would be nice!
And on another subject, I get the impression you are at least partly responsible for that great new version of "It's Hard To Walk Tall When You Are Small", which made it's debut in Bergen, Grieghallen. You posted it from Twitter in the comments post-show.
If you were such a hater as many accused you of I don't believe you would have posted it.
Cheers
Gerrit

Thanks Uncleskinny. Very informative.
Could I persuade you to create a nice Moz/Smiths cryptic for solo?
Take enough time.
Would be nice!
And on another subject, I get the impression you are at least partly responsible for that great new version of "It's Hard To Walk Tall When You Are Small", which made it's debut in Bergen, Grieghallen. You posted it from Twitter in the comments post-show.
If you were such a hater as many accused you of I don't believe you would have posted it.
Cheers
Gerrit

You know, that's something I'd like to do, given time, of which I have little.

ugh, i was going so say lutes, lausanne, deathly and spruceup. oh yeah, i totally had it in the bag. i guess im pretty smart.

I know you are pretty smart and also funny.
Smarter than me anyway, because my answers were not even close.
Nevertheless you delivered these after the solution was posted by Uncleskinny.
You ARE a naughty girl, but funny.
Gerrit

yeah, but unlike skinny's answer key i can actually give the explanation for why these are the answers. i wasnt being funny. it 's not my fault if this is like rocket science for the rest of you.

Oops, sorry. I believe you had the answers before Uncleskinny posted them.
And I still do think you are funny. Maybe unwillingly so. I hope you don't mind that I do.
Gerrit

Oops, sorry. I believe you had the answers before Uncleskinny posted them.
And I still do think you are funny. Maybe unwillingly so. I hope you don't mind that I do.
Gerrit
everyone always thinks im being funny when im being serious, waaahh

nah, it's okay. you're very nice, i just get way too serious when it comes to crosswords :p
what is your first language?

everyone always thinks im being funny when im being serious, waaahh

nah, it's okay. you're very nice, i just get way too serious when it comes to crosswords :p
what is your first language?

It's Dutch. I am from The Netherlands. I live in The Hague.
It's a city nearby the Sea. The North sea. My house is 10 minutes away on my bike. But I got a flat tyre now. :-(
On a clear day I always think I can see the the coast of England. :)
Gerrit

It's Dutch. I am from The Netherlands. I live in The Hague.
It's a city nearby the Sea. The North sea. My house is 10 minutes away on my bike. But I got a flat tyre now. :-(
On a clear day I always think I can see the the coast of England. :)
Gerrit
woooww, that's so cool! i bet it's beautiful there!

woooww, that's so cool! i bet it's beautiful there!

You are right. It is. :)
It's off topic, but sometimes after my walk on the beach I go to a restaurant at the beach to have a drink. The place at the beach is called Kijkduin. It used to be a nice and quiet, old-fashioned and sleepy place. The owners of the shops and the hotel wanted to uplift it commercially. To attract more tourists and people on a day trip.

Last time I went there, suddenly there were thousands of people searching for Pokémons.
It was hell. Can you imagine them with their eyes fixed on their smartphones, walking, running, bumping into each other. They ruined my day:-(

I thought Moz could make a song about that when he feels most miserable but I found out that Peta has now released a similar kind of game you can download about animal suffering in which his name occurs so he probably won't do that. The haters will call him a hypocrite as they do anyway.
It's a pity. I can do without the game but I need that song!
Gerrit

You are right. It is. :)
It's off topic, but sometimes after my walk on the beach I go to a restaurant at the beach to have a drink. The place at the beach is called Kijkduin. It used to be a nice and quiet, old-fashioned and sleepy place. The owners of the shops and the hotel wanted to uplift it commercially. To attract more tourists and people on a day trip.

Last time I went there, suddenly there were thousands of people searching for Pokémons.
It was hell. Can you imagine them with their eyes fixed on their smartphones, walking, running, bumping into each other. They ruined my day:-(

I thought Moz could make a song about that when he feels most miserable but I found out that Peta has now released a similar kind of game you can download about animal suffering in which his name occurs so he probably won't do that. The haters will call him a hypocrite as they do anyway.
It's a pity. I can do without the game but I need that song!
Gerrit
oh im sorry, that really sucks! i've actually never seen anyone play this pokemon game, at least not that i've recognized. it's like i live under a rock or something. i tend to walk with blindsight though, so i probably wouldnt notice if people were playing it right in front of me. despite this i still know that i hate the phenomenon and hope it dies out soon, or that at least the people playing it do. i cant imagine being in a beautiful city like that and having my eyes glued to my phone. people have no quality of life anymore. be happy you're not one of them!

Back
Top Bottom