Smiths - Single B-sides

Thomas Pashko

My apologies in advance, since I'm sure these specific tracks have been requested many times.

I'm trying to complete my little mp3 collection of The Smiths' singles in my digital library. I own all the albums as well as Rank, the Hatful/World Won't Listen/Louder Than Bombs comps, and the "Singles" comp, but have only recently delved into the individual singles. There are a handful of tracks I can't seem to track down anywhere on the net. If anyone could possibly share any of these mp3s with me, I'd be eternally grateful. The songs I'm looking for are:

from the Panic single:
The Draize Train

from the Ask single:
Ask (the single version/edit)

from the I Started Something I Couldn't Finish single:
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (live)

from the Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me single:
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (single edit)
Rusholme Ruffians (Peel session)
Nowhere Fast (Peel session)
William, It Was Really Nothing (Peel session)

from the Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before single:
Pretty Girls Make Graves (early cello version)
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (live) <---is this the same one from the I Started Something single? I have no idea?

from the There is a Light That Never Goes Out single:
Hand in Glove (live)
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (live) <---again, same one?

I know it's probably annoying to have a newcomer join the forum and instantly request like 10 songs, but I'm simply a very enthusiastic Smiths listener who also happens to be very broke and can't afford to track down and buy rare old 7"s or whatnot. Again, any help would be infinitely appreciated.

My apologies in advance, since I'm sure these specific tracks have been requested many times.

No need to apologize. This site has been around a long time and people come and go. Links expire, songs people never knew about are unearthed, fans lose interest, new fans pop up. That's why I think this thread should be revitalized regularly...stuff that is old hat to most of us may be Holy Grails to new fans or people who are less internet savvy.

As MozRecording noted above, the Never Heard Symphonies comp is probably the best way to go. But I'll try to break down your post a little more succinctly.

There are a handful of tracks I can't seem to track down anywhere on the net. If anyone could possibly share any of these mp3s with me, I'd be eternally grateful. The songs I'm looking for are:

from the Panic single:
The Draize Train

NHS Vol 3

from the Ask single:
Ask (the single version/edit)

I'm not sure there is a "single" version...I thought that was a myth. I know it's been discussed before but I swear I read either in a Goddard book or on The Smiths Recycled blog or on here that there is no discernible difference between the album version and the single. There is an early take, though, which surfaced on the Demos and Instrumentals boot and is also on NHS Vol. 3.

from the I Started Something I Couldn't Finish single:
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (live)

NHS Vol. 3...but this is an edit I made; cutting out the audience chatter at the beginning and fading out the end.

from the Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me single:
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (single edit)
Rusholme Ruffians (Peel session)
Nowhere Fast (Peel session)
William, It Was Really Nothing (Peel session)

The Last Night single edit wasn't on the b-side...again, maybe I'm wrong. It is on the Smiths comp with Charles Hawtrey on the cover. I didn't include it in the NHS comp because it's kind of a superfluous edit; all it does it just amputates the hell-torment noise at the beginning. The actual mix of the track is the exact same, I believe.

The other songs are all in NHS Vol. 2.

from the Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before single:
Pretty Girls Make Graves (early cello version)

This can be found in the Troy Tate Sessions 3-disc anthology boot.

Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (live) <---is this the same one from the I Started Something single? I have no idea?

Yep.

from the There is a Light That Never Goes Out single:
Hand in Glove (live)

NHS Vol. 1

Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (live) <---again, same one?

Yes.

I know it's probably annoying to have a newcomer join the forum and instantly request like 10 songs, but I'm simply a very enthusiastic Smiths listener who also happens to be very broke and can't afford to track down and buy rare old 7"s or whatnot. Again, any help would be infinitely appreciated.

Your request was not annoying for the following reasons:

-you used good grammar
-you were polite
-you were specific in your requests
-you acknowledged you were only signing up to ask for stuff

All I'll say is, if you keep posting here, maybe (when you can) just offer your own assembly of rarities or a bootleg here and there; it's good form. Or if someone down the line asks for a track you have, oblige them. Not everyone has stuff to offer in return for requests; what counts up front is that you ask politely and have manners. Many in your position do not.

I hope you keep posting here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much to both of you for your help! This will certainly round out my collection for now. I'm looking forward to hearing all of these rarities compilations.

In regards to the "single version" of Ask: it's honestly the least necessary of these for me to find. (According to wikipedia) It only appeared on the first pressing of the single and every pressing since has featured the full version that's on "World Won't Listen" and "Louder Than Bombs". It's identical to the normal version except that it fades out earlier and Morrissey's "la la lala la's" don't come in until halfway into the fade-out. The only compilation this one showed up is on that superfluous "Very Best of The Smiths" compilation from 2001 that the entire band urged fans not to buy.

Isn't there a slightly different version or mix of "The Boy With A Thorn In His Side" on the Very Best Of, Skylarker? If so, you may be interested in that also Tom if you ever turn into a completist :)

Isn't there a slightly different version or mix of "The Boy With A Thorn In His Side" on the Very Best Of, Skylarker? If so, you may be interested in that also Tom if you ever turn into a completist :)

I'm not sure what version is on The Very Best Of but yes there are two different mixes of the song...the single version which was collected on The World Won't Listen and then the album version from The Queen Is Dead. The former features a slightly sparser production. Not real glaringly apparent but definitely a different mix.

It says on wiki that The Very Best Of.... also has a different version of Ask!

I really cant tell the difference on The Boy With A Thorn In His Side. I must be deaf.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really cant tell the difference on The Boy With A Thorn In His Side. I must be deaf.

Be sure that you don't use the remasters for this comparison. The single version of TBWATIHS can only be found on the original CDs (Rough Trade, Sire, WEA).

The difference in both versions of "The Boy with the thorn in his side" can easily be spotted at 0.08". The single version has no strings whereas the album version does have some synthetic strings that can easily be heard at the beginning of the track.
let me know if you have trouble findind the original.

Back
Top Bottom