Smiths reference on '500 Days Of Summer' 02/09/09 UK

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PsD0NpFSADM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PsD0NpFSADM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]

Haven't seen this film yet, but it looks good, not your usual formulaic romcom. I dislike Zooey Deschanel though, I think she tries too hard to be all 'indie'.

What do you guys think?

Re: Smiths reference on '500 Days Of Summer'

Haven't seen this film yet, but it looks good, not your usual formulaic romcom. I dislike Zooey Deschanel though, I think she tries too hard to be all 'indie'.

What do you guys think?

It's pretty much your usual formulaic romcom if you peer past the "quirkiness". Sorry to report that. Zooey Deschanel is actually good in the movie and what I disliked of Joseph Gordon Levitt's bit was largely down to the script. He was better in "G. I. Joe".

See it for the shots of downtown L.A.

It's an interesting movie, you guys over there should go see it. You too, Kewpie.

So are you saying that the movie does not manage to capture the profound change in his thinking that he goes through as the movie develops? I have not watched the movie yet, but this is what I gather what the movie is supposed to be about: that when she's gone at the end he is at some point of no return that will never get him back to where he first was in that elevator. From the trailor I also have the impression that it captures the different understandings of The Smiths that you can easily find here in the forums or if you look at the celebrities who name them as influences, just that the young man is not aware of this at the beginning of the movie.

I think the movie does capture the profound change in his thinking. He ends the movie seeing things differently, yes.

My problem with the movie is that most audience members watching him will easily guess what the "profound change" is long before he does. He is surprised by events that nobody else would be surprised at.

I'm not sure the movie has any point of view about The Smiths. Summer is as much a Ringo Starr fan as she is a Smiths fan. There are lots of other bands in the movie, too. From the trailer it may look like music plays a big role in the story, but it's just background detail.

I really don't mean to imply it's a bad movie. I basically liked it. It just wasn't the great, original, hilarious comedy it looks like. Just my opinion. I recommend seeing "In The Loop" instead. :)

Last edited:

The bloke who was in 3rd Rock from the sun was interviewed this morning on BBC breakfast and blurted out "Hairy bollocks"..I was having me cornflakes urgh.

So are you saying that the movie does not manage to capture the profound change in his thinking that he goes through as the movie develops? I have not watched the movie yet, but this is what I gather what the movie is supposed to be about: that when she's gone at the end he is at some point of no return that will never get him back to where he first was in that elevator. From the trailor I also have the impression that it captures the different understandings of The Smiths that you can easily find here in the forums or if you look at the celebrities who name them as influences, just that the young man is not aware of this at the beginning of the movie.

Silke, it's nowhere near that deep. He doesn't do any profound thinking or changing. The music is a background, it just shows that the characters are quirky and like 80s "alternative" music. The Smiths are just there as a signpost: "Different and Sensitive Characters Ahead."

There was actually some confusion; after watching the movie we couldn't figure out how old they were supposed to be, or when it was set. The bands and posters in the guy's room when he was a kid line up with someone who was a teenager in the late 80s, which would make the movie set about ten years ago. Anyway, we couldn't figure it out. I think really the filmmakers are in their mid-thirties and wanted to fit their old favorites in whether it made sense or not.

But putting The Smiths in a movie is, to me, what putting Jesus' picture on a packet of biscuit mix would be to others.

I think the movie does capture the profound change in his thinking. He ends the movie seeing things differently, yes.

He finally realizes that she doesn't like him that much and never really did--and that that's ok. It's not going to ruin his life. (Some men take so long to learn these lessons.)

i liked the part where the morning after they have sex, he looks at his reflection in a car and sees Han Solo. I lol'd.

There was actually some confusion; after watching the movie we couldn't figure out how old they were supposed to be, or when it was set. The bands and posters in the guy's room when he was a kid line up with someone who was a teenager in the late 80s, which would make the movie set about ten years ago. Anyway, we couldn't figure it out. I think really the filmmakers are in their mid-thirties and wanted to fit their old favorites in whether it made sense or not.

I don't know why he would have had to of been a teenager in the late 80s just because his posters were of bands from then. I was obsessed with bands from the 60s-early 90s when I was a teenager and that was the early 00s. So I don't see why there would be a question about when the movie took place? I would assume nowish...

I am a bit of a film nut.

I've been to the cinema to see 136 films this year alone...goodness knows how many DVDs I've watched/bought in addition.

I'm so much of a "geek" about films that I keep a film diary with my ticket stubs, who I went with, where, what time and a rating out of ten. I also back this up with a spreadsheet!

So far this year only 8 films have managed a perfect 10...

(500) Days of Summer was one of them.

I absolutely adored it.

No ridiculous conceit as there is in so many rom-coms ("He likes dogs...she likes cats...how will it ever work out?") and no attempt to offer us a "happy" ending.

Both characters are beautifully drawn and played with real feeling by Levitt and Zooey. There are some genuinely moving moments between them and it isn't difficult to see that (in large part) this is a true story (the writers needed permission from at least one ex-girlfriend before the film made it to screen).

As for when it is set which seems to have perplexed some...who cares? The presence of Smiths/Morrissey memorabilia in the bedrooms of both characters at the films start can easily be explained; I had Bowie posters and albums on my walls as a child/teen but was at least ten years to old to have "been there" for him.

I'm a sucker for unrequited love or forbidden love ("Lost in Translation" is another of my favourite movies) and (500) Days of Summer hit all the right buttons for me. I've seen it three times since Sunday...I know, I know...I have NO life.

Kimura

As for when it is set which seems to have perplexed some...who cares? The presence of Smiths/Morrissey memorabilia in the bedrooms of both characters at the films start can easily be explained; I had Bowie posters and albums on my walls as a child/teen but was at least ten years to old to have "been there" for him.

Above, somebody mentioned that Tom sees Han Solo in the car window, as if reflecting his ideal self. I can affirm that this is generationally specific. Chuck Klosterman wrote a delightful essay on the subject in "Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs".

Does it matter how old Tom is? Not really. Just trying to make sense of the clues offered by the filmmakers.

Perhaps the mixed clues and the confusion about Tom's age underscore the film's real theme: boys no longer become men, but instead drift along in a permanent adolescence. Tom's real age is as much a mystery to him as it is to us.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was far better as Cobra Commander, by the way. ;)

Last edited:
I saw this great film last week and I loved it. The two leads were perfectly cast and I thought they had real chemistry. The scene were they're both at the photocopiers was so well done, I know just how he would have felt. The whole dance sequence was so clever, again, it perfectly captured what it's like falling in love. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out for Gordon-Levitt's character and you can almost feel his despair at times. The rest of the supporting cast are spot-on, especially Chloe Moretz, who plays Tom's younger, smart sister. This is one I'll buy when the Blu ray comes out.

I am a bit of a film nut.

I've been to the cinema to see 136 films this year alone...goodness knows how many DVDs I've watched/bought in addition.

I'm so much of a "geek" about films that I keep a film diary with my ticket stubs, who I went with, where, what time and a rating out of ten. I also back this up with a spreadsheet!

So far this year only 8 films have managed a perfect 10...

(500) Days of Summer was one of them.

I absolutely adored it.

No ridiculous conceit as there is in so many rom-coms ("He likes dogs...she likes cats...how will it ever work out?") and no attempt to offer us a "happy" ending.

Both characters are beautifully drawn and played with real feeling by Levitt and Zooey. There are some genuinely moving moments between them and it isn't difficult to see that (in large part) this is a true story (the writers needed permission from at least one ex-girlfriend before the film made it to screen).

I'm a sucker for unrequited love or forbidden love ("Lost in Translation" is another of my favourite movies) and (500) Days of Summer hit all the right buttons for me. I've seen it three times since Sunday...I know, I know...I have NO life.

Kimura

Great review! I loved it too - echoed my favourite film of all time - Annie Hall- I thought, will definitely use my cineworld card to watch it again!
Thought the soundtrack was good too - been listening to Hall & Oates ever since:lbf:

Great review! I loved it too - echoed my favourite film of all time - Annie Hall- I thought, will definitely use my cineworld card to watch it again!
Thought the soundtrack was good too - been listening to Hall & Oates ever since:lbf:

Not seen this yet, i do love 'Annie Hall' mind. x

I just watched it and am surprised how much I liked it. It is nothing like I had imagined. I don't recall that I ever watched a movie like this before. What surprises me most is how realistic the storyline is. And there was Smiths/Morrissey memorabilia in the bedrooms of both characters? I saw none of that. :o Which means I'll have to watch it again. :lbf: Now I want to go back to L.A. The parking lot rang a bell. It must be close to where I once left the key in the car and the guard of the parking lot helped me break into the car. :D I had wondered when it plays in September and think it is nowadays and the age of the characters is not all that relevant, even though I'd guess they are in their late 20s. The clothes the guy wears did not appear too important to me either. Not really. Your regular normal guy who wears this kind of stuff. His sister and friends and boss were amazing and funny and verbalize a few aspects quite well in my opinion.

Yeah in Tom's bedroom you can see Louder Than Bombs and in Summer's Viva Hate.

f***ing amazing film, favorite ever, and I'm ashamed to say it got me into the Smiths (haha ok I told myself I'd get around to it but this really pushed me into them!)

Back
Top Bottom