Smiths Rarities release - Record Company politics stopped Marr releasing them

An anonymous person and Uncleskinny send the link:

Johnny Marr reveals 'record label politics' stopped him releasing Smiths rarities box-set - NME.com
Guitarist had been working on a comprehensive collection of bootlegs and instrumentals

Excerpt:

He said: "When I started putting The Smiths box-set together I discovered lots of different versions and instrumentals and different mixes that I wanted to put out. But I was stopped. I think that stuff should come out properly but there were politics that stopped me so I just gave up trying."

Elsewhere in the feature, available in this week's issue of NME, on newsstands now, Marr explains what he had wanted from the Beatles-style 'Anthology' box-set. "What I'm talking about is these bootlegs of instrumentals and alternative versions. I wanted them to come out properly. But someone, somewhere didn't want it out. I think that's a shame. I'm a fan and I like that stuff to be done properly. I really tried to protect the legacy."

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the box set might be on its way soon.

It seems to have gone unnoticed, but the live version of Bigmouth from Old Grey Whistle Test got released on a BBC CD a couple of weeks ago (annoyingly cross-faded with a Squeeze performance). Someone, somewhere must have given that the nod.

Politics? That's a broad term.

Could it be Morrissey not wanting Mike Joyce to get his 10 percent cut?

Could it be that petty?

Thanks a lot Moz. I'm sure he has his reasons, either blocking it for artistic reasons as he doesn't think the alternate/unreleased stuff is up to scratch, or - more likely - he doesn't want Joyce to get any more money. But - either way, the fans lose out. And it really can't be anyone other than Morrissey blocking it. Record companies are only interested in making money, so they'd be up for it if there was a demand (which with a band as big as the Smiths there must be).

A shame.

Could it be that petty?

None of your business, they are his songs. He doesn't want them out, deal with it

Could it be that petty?

How very sad that he can't mellow with age, chill his beans and be grateful what he's got and his past with (for me) the best band in the world.
Its really difficult to follow and understand Ste-Mo these days it seems the older he gets the more bitter and twisted he gets ! "Fame, fame, fatal fame playing hidious tricks on his brain"

Benny the Butcher

..I wonder what rarities they are? Is there anything left that has not leaked? It would be nice to have pristine copies of leakes nicely mastered though... demos, etc.

"But someone, somewhere didn't want it out." Who could he be talking about?

As I have posted before Johnny and co should just get the singer out of the tribute band 'Smiths Indeed' and go on the road and leave Misery, Biz, Tobasco and co
to churn out sausages inbetween being ill and getting better.

Benny the Butcher

..I wonder what rarities they are? Is there anything left that has not leaked? It would be nice to have pristine copies of leakes nicely mastered though... demos, etc.

A lot of stuff has leaked, but not everything ('A Fool Such as I' etc). Also, if they have the original mastertapes, then there must be loads of alternate takes/instrumental versions that could be put together.

"But someone,didn't want it out." Who could he be talking about?
Blame morrissey for the break up , you're no success since
NO ONE wants to hear " different versions and instrumentals "
except Amy

Last edited:
"But someone,didn't want it out." Who could he be talking about?
Blame morrissey for the break up , you're no success since
NO ONE wants to hear " different versions and instrumentals "
except Amy

:D you're obsessed.

I believe The Smiths should never re-unite as a band but sit back and tell their own history & release the 'rarities'. They don't need to meet and hang out as mates, just talk from wherever they are to a camera and sign some damn papers that say: Yes/No :(

Mike Joyce seems to have the same problem as he stated here years ago he had lots of rarities and studiodemoos in studio basement.

Me thinks Morrissey don't want Joyce benifit from any Smiths releases who hasn't been out, rarities , different versions.

Politics, yer arse 'n all :crazy:

None of your business, they are his songs. He doesn't want them out, deal with it

They are just as much Marr's songs. I'm surprised you don't know that, frankly.

Judging by Morrissey's recent reissue strategies Marr is the only man who should be trusted with curating the Smiths legacy. The world isn't ready for Mel Gibson and Tom Jones on the cover of Strangeways, or a two minute edit of Suffer Little Children.

I've never had a lot of interest in listening to demos especially as The Smiths had full control over their work - unless it was finished but unreleased - like the Troy Tate album.

I've never had a lot of interest in listening to demos especially as The Smiths had full control over their work - unless it was finished but unreleased - like the Troy Tate album.

The original Troy Tate LP should certainly be released - I think a lot of those versions are better than the released ones.

I hate the talk around by Johnny. "Who" stopped him? why not just come out and say the 'who'. Is there a legal reason for not being able to name the individual or individuals? If it was Morrissey, is Johnny THAT afraid of him or concerned for that matter what he thinks about releasing something like this? Morrissey may not find it artistically interesting, but Johnny apparently does. I think it is a unique piece of Smiths history that is being shelved because someone does not want it put out, even if it is for petty reasons as listed in another post above. It's like the deleted scenes from movie, I find myself drawn to what was deleted as to what was actually put on screen, I find them more interesting even tho they were cut.

Back
Top Bottom