Smiths 'Popsicle Kid' Poster unearthed from record store archive - mint - offers?

surewhynot

We found one of these earlier in the week when emptying an old storage container for a defunct shop, and the damn thing looks completely unscathed. Blew my mind because even the best I'd seen still had issues, whereas the majority that actually do turn up for sale have really jacked up corners (which I suppose is understandable given what purpose they were promoting for.) The only explanation is that the guy received it and just never got around to posting it in time for the tour, so just ended up saving it. Uncovering something like this felt like opening a box of 'Monster In My Pocket' from when I was 10 years old... but anyways. :p

Thought I'd take offers on this one through the community first (PM me) before posting it for public auction. I'm not really sure of the value as this doesn't really fall into the Cartel promo category of posters that got fairly diluted on eBay some months ago when a guy sold dozens of them. Will get photos pronto -- battery died!

nRKSmg

https://flic.kr/p/nRKSmg

Attachments

• 14346559623_997ae9d1e5_s.jpg
    14346559623_997ae9d1e5_s.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
We found one of these earlier in the week when emptying an old storage container for a defunct shop, and the damn thing looks completely unscathed. Blew my mind because even the best I'd seen still had issues, whereas the majority that actually do turn up for sale have really jacked up corners (which I suppose is understandable given what purpose they were promoting for.) The only explanation is that the guy received it and just never got around to posting it in time for the tour, so just ended up saving it. Uncovering something like this felt like opening a box of 'Monster In My Pocket' from when I was 10 years old... but anyways. :p

Thought I'd take offers on this one through the community first (PM me) before posting it for public auction. I'm not really sure of the value as this doesn't really fall into the Cartel promo category of posters that got fairly diluted on eBay some months ago when a guy sold dozens of them. Will get photos pronto -- battery died!

That's strange! Didn't you also just purchase several (or sixteen) of these posters on ebay? In regards to value, don't people always suggest to check what price an item is currently selling for to get an indication of its worth? If that's the case, presumably you should already know. So, as usual (to coin a phrase), Oh well, I'll never learn...

I did not, but if you could refer me to the auction where 16 of these were available on eBay for a price that 16 of them were affordable, that would be absolutely fantastic. :lbf:

That is the one you bought on Ebay...

Not to cool...

Actually, that photo, for illustrative purposes, is of my 1st (of 2, now) copy I received from a user named Craig on here who was selling his in July of last year. And it will be the one I keep because I now tie it to some really cool stories of his. Any more from the jury? Jeez.

Actually, that photo, for illustrative purposes, is of my 1st (of 2, now) copy I received from a user named Craig on here who was selling his in July of last year. And it will be the one I keep because I now tie it to some really cool stories of his. Any more from the jury? Jeez.

Are you deluded? The 16 posters were purchased over 3 separate transactions, not via 1 auction listing:-

1 on May 24th
10 on May 25th
5 on May 31st

Whether or not you already possessed one since last year (as used for illustrative purposes) isn't the issue, but it really makes your "trash find" story very flimsy indeed.

Are you deluded? The 16 posters were purchased over 3 separate transactions, not via 1 auction listing:-

1 on May 24th
10 on May 25th
5 on May 31st

Whether or not you already possessed one since last year (as used for illustrative purposes) isn't the issue, but it really makes your "trash find" story very flimsy indeed.

What exactly did you find "deluded" about responding to a quoted accusation? Not that it really required a response, since clearly the poster I took a picture of has a mammoth stamp on it stating "PURCHASED ON EBAY!," completely warranting and validating the comment. And what is the relevance of you looking up a history of poster purchases online? And furthermore, when did the irrelevant inclusion of how I stumbled upon my poster ever need to be investigated? What is the underlying scandal? Please help me here. Deluded?

Really?!

- - - Updated - - -

Did you really just passive aggressively reference passive aggression? And believe me, there was nothing passive about my aggression. :p

That's strange! Didn't you also just purchase several (or sixteen) of these posters on ebay? In regards to value, don't people always suggest to check what price an item is currently selling for to get an indication of its worth? If that's the case, presumably you should already know. So, as usual (to coin a phrase), Oh well, I'll never learn...

So the guy want's to make a few bucks, good luck to him...he didn't kill anyone. Have folk's got nothing better to do than log the buying and selling activity of everyone else? Oh well, I'll never know how sad some people are.

I've seen this and lots others replicated at events etc. for cheap. Depending on its size I can have one printed on same stock paper for about $20-25.

I like the story of where you got yours though. I'm sure there were more posters of the like that were sadly never used. Good luck with your sale, and ignore the negativity. ;)

What exactly did you find "deluded" about responding to a quoted accusation? Not that it really required a response, since clearly the poster I took a picture of has a mammoth stamp on it stating "PURCHASED ON EBAY!," completely warranting and validating the comment. And what is the relevance of you looking up a history of poster purchases online? And furthermore, when did the irrelevant inclusion of how I stumbled upon my poster ever need to be investigated? What is the underlying scandal? Please help me here. Deluded?

Really?!

- - - Updated - - -

Did you really just passive aggressively reference passive aggression? And believe me, there was nothing passive about my aggression. :p

Not entirely sure where you're going with all this (call me morbid, call me pale - or thick etc). I simply meant that you were deluded having conveniently "forgotten" those recent ebay transactions (perhaps from the compulsive nature of those 16 x purchases) and then turned on the defensive with that passive aggressive response when others had challenged you. You could easily have just stated that you had the item(s) for sale rather than concoct some balony regarding a hidden treasure trove found behind the trash cans of a darkened underpass (or whatever it was).

I hate to change the subject, but again does anyone have that link?

:p

Was that a rhetorical question?

The ebay seller has more posters available at their online store - here's a link to that site:

http://love-the-80s.co.uk/

Sadly, however, with the recent mad rush for these items the prices have gone up drastically.

So the guy want's to make a few bucks, good luck to him...he didn't kill anyone. Have folk's got nothing better to do than log the buying and selling activity of everyone else? Oh well, I'll never know how sad some people are.

Traits of a(nother) feeble response from aboyfromthoseuglynewhouses i.e. apostrophes where they're not required, melodramatic American slang (make a few bucks, he didn't kill anyone etc). Yet this time, posted anonymously (something which he once scorned) - how very dare you! People in glass houses... Of course, you could easily relate to this devious, truculent and unreliable behavior yourself, which explains why you're defending the guy to the hilt. Sad, but true...

Last edited:
Not entirely sure where you're going with all this (call me morbid, call me pale - or thick etc). I simply meant that you were deluded having conveniently "forgotten" those recent ebay transactions (perhaps from the compulsive nature of those 16 x purchases) and then turned on the defensive with that passive aggressive response when others had challenged you. You could easily have just stated that you had the item(s) for sale rather than concoct some balony regarding a hidden treasure trove found behind the trash cans of a darkened underpass (or whatever it was).

Item is still considering (other) offers. Item was still found behind the trash cans of a darkened underpass. And you've still got the wrong guy. I don't know what else to say! :guitar:

I've seen this and lots others replicated at events etc. for cheap. Depending on its size I can have one printed on same stock paper for about $20-25.

I like the story of where you got yours though. I'm sure there were more posters of the like that were sadly never used. Good luck with your sale, and ignore the negativity. ;)

The ebay seller is claiming that they are original 1980s posters not modern reprints. Nevertheless, since the one being offered for sale here was (allegedly) not purchased from that source, perhaps we'll never know if it's authentic or a repro. That's not negativity, just storytelling of facts (not fiction).

Traits of a(nother) feeble response from aboyfromthoseuglynewhouses i.e. apostrophe's where they're not required, melodramatic American slang (make a few bucks, he didn't kill anyone etc). Yet this time, posted anonymously - how very dare you! People in glass houses... Of course, you could easily relate to this devious, truculent and unreliable behavior yourself, which explains why you're defending the guy to the hilt. Sad but true...

Wouldn't it be more productive to carry out some due diligence on this and just prove it rather than turning my thread into a perpetual mobius strip of psychobabble? And lets entertain the idea that in some parallel universe you were able to... what then? It wouldn't change the outcome/objective of the thread. People make up stories every day. Is THIS really on your burn list? And if it is, wouldn't this ongoing grudge seemingly start to imply that you're beginning to regret you didn't click Buy It Now in time? Passive aggression? Contradiction?

In all fairness, I don't sell 99.9% of what I buy. I don't know how to really prove that here, but I'm trying to entertain you as best possible. :squiffy:

Last edited:
This is awesome. I can buy 67 popsicle kid posters for 2010 quid. And 540 of them for 16195 quid!

Would that be less than what you're willing to accept for one of your two copies? Incidentally, you can't bulk buy from that site even though you did on ebay. They're only drip feeding them one at a time now because somebody created a buying frenzy in recent days. It reminds me of that ugly recent dilution of the Have-A-Go Merchant 7" promos on ebay, an otherwise great Moz collectable. But that's another story...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom