Smiths/Morrissey Baby Songs

Raquel

The Most Inept
Do you have any suggestions for songs that would be fun and appropriate to play for infants and toddlers?
The only one that comes to mind is Ask, merely because I had seen a youtube video of a baby dancing in his high chair to it.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

My 7 y.o and 3 y.o love 'Carol' to dance to and my 3 y.o can often be found singing 'Trouble Loves Me'. I think children respond to music that is dance-able and maybe a bit quirky...hope this can be of some help.

You can play them anything really just play loads of different stuff and play it loud. You shouldn't expect or want your kids to like eveything you do though. My youngest once said that Girlfriend in a Coma was Morrissey's ''least rubbish song'' When they are very very little they just like what you like and then as they get older they develop their own taste which is a mixture of things they have heard at home, things they have discovered for themselves and things which you unfortunately can't abide.

If I had to pick a Mozzer song that kids would like it would be Don't make fun of Daddy's voice as they can dance to it and they really like to bellow out the words Because he can't help it.

Last edited:
This Charming Man
What Difference Does It Make?

Then songs from the early 90s/ Bona Drag era - such as Interesting Drug/ Playboys!

Love PTxx.

When I was young my Dad practically raised me on Morrissey, I was born in November so he liked to tell me that I was the monster is spawned :p I used to love the Stephen Street Moz solo stuff the best (and I think I still do), the catchy boppy tunes of Playboys, Lucky Lisp, Interesting Drug etc, and Strangeways too, apparently I used to sing my own lyrics

typical me = tickle me

So I think that is a fun one musically for little ones.

I always thought 'Asleep' would be a good lullaby to sing to a baby, if you ignore all that suicide-type stuff.

My kids genuinely like Sing Your Life, You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side, and Do Your Best and Don't Worry. I also have my older one hooked on Frankly, Mr. Shankly. He's not a baby, but discussing the job of a clerk led neatly into Poe and Hawthorne. But we're like that, he and I.

My two-year old sister absolutely loves All You Need Is Me. She goes insane dancing every time I shove the video for it on. Lately she's been picking up a gold-colored watch and using it as a tambourine. Her favorite part is the chest-patting and, uh, face finger push at the end. She enjoys I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris too. Pretty funny to watch, every time Morrissey throws HIS arms out she has to do it to.

She likes This Charming Man too... not nearly as much, she has no attention span and she HAS to watch videos to enjoy the experience. Current videos, I mean. She refuses to believe 80s-Morrissey is the same person and goes ballistic if I try to convince her otherwise, so even songs that I'm sure she'd love (Bona Drag stuff, as mentioned by other people!)... she's just "No! Morrissey!" Complete refusal to believe!

oh that is so cute Fuzzy!
My children are very much about current Moz too - and love 'Paris' - it is kind of our song. They also love to sing, well say really "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore' the day after someones birthday.

My nearly 4-year-old loves Something is Squeezing My Skull.

Barbarism begins at home :D

Another -

You Just Haven't Earned it Yet, Baby! :guitar:

I dunno if Smiths/Morrissey music is really suitable for kids - they're liable to grow up with a depressed outlook. Then like the tormented protagonist of High Fidelity they'll wonder, "Which came first, the music or the misery?"

But no, I guess that argument doesn't hold water: I was raised on the sunny pop music of the 70's and I'm still a miserable b*st#rd, always have been since the age of 14.

I dunno if Smiths/Morrissey music is really suitable for kids - they're liable to grow up with a depressed outlook. Then like the tormented protagonist of High Fidelity they'll wonder, "Which came first, the music or the misery?"

But no, I guess that argument doesn't hold water: I was raised on the sunny pop music of the 70's and I'm still a miserable b*st#rd, always have been since the age of 14.

I reckon by the time the child is born, the damage has already been done - my mother went to several funerals whilst pregnant with me, which is her theory on why I'm such a miseryguts. :p

Just let them listen to 'Miserable Lie', all the kids will know exactly what Morrissey says throughout the song or sit them down, open a beer and let them listen to "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" and tell them how much life sucks when they grow up!

Back
Top Bottom