Smiths & Joy Division lyrics appear in double yellow lines - Manchester Evening News

Link posted by Famous when dead:

Someone's going around writing The Smiths and Joy Division lyrics in double yellow lines - Manchester Evening News
Lyrics penned by Morrissey and Ian Curtis have appeared in Prestwich town centre

39934_yellow_lines.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
is joy division good? should i be listening to joy division?

Yes it is.
Very energetic, strong but coming from the dark, black cloud that is unmistakably a part of human nature too. And due to the rhythmic quality very danceable. Maybe more so then The Smiths.

There is a strong appeal, especially due to the charismatic personality of singer Ian Curtis. If you can rent Control at the videostore you get a good impression. If you like it is up to you of course. I did. Maybe you have to be in a special mood to appreciate them. It is doom, doom, doom. :o

In comparison to Smiths and Moz, I miss the humour, the tragic comedy side. The selfmocking. The flair, the blazers, :p the witty lyrics of Moz and his "grandeur". The Smiths gained more variety during their existence.
His style and his daring, maybe arrogant presentation, but a genuine one. And, a funny one.

The great guitar playing of Johnny Marr was fitting Moz and his lyrics and personality as a front man fitted Marr and I believe it was a great, great, musical, enigmatic, magic partnership.
One in a million.
" Love Will Tear Us Apart Again "
:thumb:

Yes it is.
Very energetic, strong but coming from the dark, black cloud that is unmistakably a part of human nature too. And due to the rhythmic quality very danceable. Maybe more so then The Smiths.

There is a strong appeal, especially due to the charismatic personality of singer Ian Curtis. If you can rent Control at the videostore you get a good impression. If you like it is up to you of course. I did. Maybe you have to be in a special mood to appreciate them. It is doom, doom, doom. :o

In comparison to Smiths and Moz, I miss the humour, the tragic comedy side. The selfmocking. The flair, the blazers, :p the witty lyrics of Moz and his "grandeur". The Smiths gained more variety during their existence.
His style and his daring, maybe arrogant presentation, but a genuine one. And, a funny one.

The great guitar playing of Johnny Marr was fitting Moz and his lyrics and personality as a front man fitted Marr and I believe it was a great, great, musical, enigmatic, magic partnership.
One in a million.
thanks gerrit! i'll give them a listen. i feel like i need to invest more time in learning about 80s bands. my knowledge of music is so limited!

thanks gerrit! i'll give them a listen. i feel like i need to invest more time in learning about 80s bands. my knowledge of music is so limited!

But then Rifke, everybody's knowledge of music has to be limited cause there is an overwhelming amount of it.
As if someone who has heard all music there is, could have a so-called objective judgement and could define and tell us which music is good and which music is bad.
Such a person doesn't exist, in my view.

Just follow your own taste and don't forget it might change.
You might be surprised if you suddenly found out to like music you didn't like in the past.
That is such a great experience. To find out and enjoying that music.

If you would restrict your search to eighties music my suggestion would be to not only listen to Joy Division but to bands and artists like the Jam, Madness, ABC, Scritty Polity, The Undertones, Orange Juice, Jonathan Richmond And The Modern Lovers, Joseph K, to name a few. There are so many more. I'm forgetting a lot now.

Paul Weller always had a distinctive style and interesting lyrics and maybe you would appreciate him. Although The Style Council missed some of the urgency the Jam had.
I still like Madness a lot. But maybe too laddish for your taste.
Cheers Rikfe! :thumb:

Yes it is.

One in a million.

As Joy Division was the precursor to New Order, you shouldn't be surprised to hear there's wider use of technology than you'll find with The Smiths. This really lifts some songs, while others now sound hopelessly dated e.g. 1970s syndrum pads don't really cut it today - although, I suspect they sounded like the future at the time...

As Joy Division was the precursor to New Order, you shouldn't be surprised to hear there's wider use of technology than you'll find with The Smiths. This really lifts some songs, while others now sound hopelessly dated e.g. 1970s syndrum pads don't really cut it today - although, I suspect they sounded like the future at the time...

Oh, I like New Order too!
Forget to mention them.
Silly me. :oops:

Dear unknown grafittyartist, is that all we're getting?
Did you stop now already and indulge yourself with the nichefame in circles of Smiths and Moz obsessed know it alls? Are you already laying back in your bath with a bottle of champagne? :D
Please keep us informed by way of making pictures of your latest victories and post them here.
Thanks in advance! :thumb:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom