Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr feels 'let off the leash' to write what songs he likes - Sky News (April 24, 2022)

I

I went to the Blondie show in Cardiff last night. Johnny Marr was amazing - so much better than at the 6Music Festival.

Interesting set list as well, same 11 songs that he played in Glasgow but slightly different order, nice blend of solo stuff/Smiths and Electronic, hope it's something similar in Manchester, maybe BS will join him for an Electronic song.

Armatopia
Panic
Night & Day
Spirit Power and Soul
This Charming Man
Getting Away With It
Walk Into The Sea
Get The Message
How Soon Is Now
Easy Money
There Is A Light

Last edited:
I have no problem with it, do you?

I keep answering you questions, but you refuse to answer any of mine.

Not very nice.

I have no problem with Sky news and I have no problem with either Marr or Morrissey appearing on it.

You have deleted your comment about Marr being on Sky news but left this on the site - If Morrissey did that. Why do you think Skinnybots would have any problem with Morrissey appearing on Sky news?

I assume you thought Sky News in the UK was still owned by Murdoch, It's actually owned by the American cable company Comcast who bought it from Murdoch in 2018

Last edited:
o_O
please read skinnybops

:handpointdown:

In his submission to the current Senate inquiry into media diversity in Australia, former prime minister Kevin Rudd warns that Rupert Murdoch’s Sky News Australia is following the template laid down by Murdoch’s Fox News in the United States to radicalise Australian politics. In a decade’s time, Rudd argues, we will see its full impact.

And

If you think Sky News in the Disunited Kingdom is “left wing”, you are sadly very mistaken,just watch the latest pro Westminster propgandist excretions ,and you will soon determine that like the vast majority of Tory/right wing owned and controlled media in the fractured collection of Nations composing the British “Union” , it is constantly lauding praise and /or giving support to the English and pro Unionist government,for example re the innoculation programme for Covid ,it conveniently ignores the fact that that government failed to act promptly and failed to prevent deaths in Care homes, and in hospitals by inadequate timely prevention and by inadequate supply of P.P.E. and to further elaborate on Sky’s bias, it has brayed incessantly about the need for innoculation but failed in impartiality by giving absolutely no time to those who are opoosed to innoculation thus failing to observe their own claims of journalistic impartiality. I will however note that Sky news is far from the sole miscreant in media circles in the Disunuted Kingdom engaging in exceeding their expected remit of impartial accurate news free from political bias and in general the T.V. media have not wholly descended to the pestilential pits of rabid rightwing soapbox oratory degeneration evident with such Tabloid trash as the Daily Express,Daily Mail,Daily Torygraph,or The Sun.

Sky News is anti commie:nogood:
according to all left wing commie nutters:)

there you have in a nutshell, skinnybot peeps, your idol is caught again 🪤

:hammer:

MORE BRAIN FOOD FOR THE SKINNYBOPS

Sky’s jump to the right has boosted ratings – but at what cost?

By appealing to a conservative base, the 24-hour news channel may weaken its influence.

Since Sky News began stacking its evening schedule with conservative commentators – including Andrew Bolt, Peta Credlin and Alan Jones – some critics have questioned the "Foxification" of the pay TV channel.

Rupert Murdoch was the largest shareholder in Sky until 2018.

When Central started posting things from right-wing media companies some posters condemned Morrissey for it.

There's an argument that talking to right-wing outlets is "funding hate".

Marr has appeared on Sky when it was owned by Murdoch.

The Spectator is pretty grim.

Doesn't end any media careers though - everywhere has double standards.

Maybe people just don't read too much into TV appearances but do when it comes to supporting dubious political parties.

They were attacking Morrissey long before 2017.

They don't turn on insiders.

Personally, I remain sickened by the influence that Murdoch continues to have on the UK political scene.
He was always my least favourite member of the A Team.

Rupert Murdoch was the largest shareholder in Sky until 2018.

When Central started posting things from right-wing media companies some posters condemned Morrissey for it.

There's an argument that talking to right-wing outlets is "funding hate".

Marr has appeared on Sky when it was owned by Murdoch.

The Spectator is pretty grim.

Doesn't end any media careers though - everywhere has double standards.

Morrissey's career is ok. He's got the big Cruel World gigs coming up, sold a couple of thousand tickets for the Vegas gigs, he's nearly sold out the 1300 seats at the place in Phoenix and he's just announced another warm up gig at where he will no doubt sell out the 9oo seat venue. Hopefully we will also see the new album this year and the work he's doing with Alain in 2023.

Morrissey's career is ok. He's got the big Cruel World gigs coming up, sold a couple of thousand tickets for the Vegas gigs, he's nearly sold out the 1300 seats at the place in Phoenix and he's just announced another warm up gig at where he will no doubt sell out the 9oo seat venue. Hopefully we will also see the new album this year and the work he's doing with Alain in 2023.
He's fine for concerts. May well have lost half the fanbase since all the For Britain/Farage/Tommy Robinson nonsense but that just means in the UK (for example) there are now about 20,000 people who'd go to see him live, whereas pre-2018 there were 50,000+.
But the record deal is where he's struggling. Pre-2018 a record company knew a Radio 2 A-list single was pretty much a dead cert for Morrissey which would propel album sales to at least 50,000. Since that support has been withdrawn, he can't really rely on more than 5,000-10,000 max. Other UK acts are down at this sales level e.g. Sting, James, Billy Bragg, Damon Albarn, and can continue to put out new albums, but Morrissey's not used to selling so few, and receiving the kinds of offers these sales attract.

Last edited:
He's fine for concerts. May well have lost half the fanbase since all the For Britain/Farage/Tommy Robinson defending/supporting nonsense but that just means in the UK (for example) there are now about 20,000 people who'd go to see him live, whereas pre-2018 there were 50,000+.
But the record deal is where he's struggling. Pre-2018 a record company knew a Radio 2 A-list single was pretty much a dead cert for Morrissey which would propel album sales to at least 50,000. Since that support has been withdrawn, he can't really rely on more than 5,000-10,000 max. Other UK acts are down at this sales level e.g. Sting, James, Billy Bragg, Damon Albarn, and can continue to put out new albums, but Morrissey's not used to selling so few, and receiving the kinds of offers these sales attract.

Guilt by association is bigotry.

It would break the BBC's charter.

:confused:

now that :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: has been 🦊 ified, suddenly the skinnybops
dont see Moz as being so bad.:lbf:

Does Johnny Marr not remember this guy who can't help but effuse about how much of his craft he gets to explore as a songwriter in the smiths? Sounds to me like he was given nothing but the freedom to write and play music that affected generations positively for which is a privilege afforded to the very few. In short WTF is he complaining about?

He is saying the exact opposite of what he says now, it makes you wonder if he ever tells the truth. He just really smarmy, Morrissey said Marr tries to please everyone and ends up pleasing no one, which really seems to be the case.

🤒

UNSHACKLED NOW!!??😐
at 60 yr of age?? who is responsible for the cometic jangle jangle :frogface:
so called 'music'? MOZ???
shackled to 🐻 shoes:bellcancel:
he was shackled by Moz when he made
'call the comet so we can get killed' or/and Armetopoia?
hes now blaming Moz for all his sucy music?? whats wrong with this picture?:lbf:
he must be getting mentally soft

'call the comet so we can get killed' :lbf:
He was a dog on Moz's chain :laughing:
It really must double suck to be Marr now, he didn't even get his own tour to promote Peevish Screams 1-4 and Morrissey is announcing all these dates, with tickets 1ox the price Marr gets when he is not an opening act, but that is all he can be now.
Marr will always be the least cool kid in the room, he can't compete with Debbie, Glen or Clem. Poor Marr :lbf:

Pretty sure Morrissey doesn’t much care for the Smiths any more. He’d rather focus on his solo career. He’s probably glad Johnny has grabbed hold of the Smiths’ legacy.
He still takes part in re issues, see QID. The highlights of lots of his shows of late, have been the smiths songs, like I wont share you and half a person .
He commented on how powerful the smiths were, when he said he liked The Shoplifters movie
He played a few smiths songs, at his last gig in the UK ,
That shows me , he is still plugged in. I don't think Marr was even on about The Smiths, with that "let off the leash" comment, I think he was talking about being his own boss, in terms of being singer, as well as music writer and his general artistic world view.
But hey, don'r forget to run along and get your Jesse and Alain white MP3's, they are really setting the world on fire- especially funny, as Alain even admits he pretty much bases his M songs, on Johnnys.
I don't have anything against Alain or Jesse by the way, both have written some classic M solo songs.
The truth is, Im only here and at gigs and buying the records for M, I couldn't give a shit who plays in the band

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom