Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr feels 'let off the leash' to write what songs he likes - Sky News (April 24, 2022)

Again Johnny indirectly alluding to Moz. Who tied him who prevented him from making the songs he wanted? ... It means that what was done with Smiths was something imposed by someone.... However, he does not stop playing Smiths songs before and now he continues to play them... The story is old but continuous, this one (well I wonder) does not touch it so often, but he practices it .........

Morrissey posts a photo of him and his mates hanging out in the 90's, and people STILL manage to shoehorn Johnny Marr into the thread. Incredible.

Poor Johnny, being held hostage all those years
Feeling free to do whatever an artist wants to do is the first in a series of nails driven into the box we will one day call home. Is he really saying he was being held hostage artistically by the smiths? The smiths was the best thing that ever happened to both Marr and Morrissey.

One of them goes out of their way to acknowledge that, albeit with a dose of added cynicism and the other makes it seem like he was shanghaied by a gang of ruffians and forced to write beautiful songs with a gun to his head.

Feeling free to do whatever an artist wants to do is the first in a series of nails driven into the box we will one day call home. Is he really saying he was being held hostage artistically by the smiths? The smiths was the best thing that ever happened to both Marr and Morrissey.

One of them goes out of their way to acknowledge that, albeit with a dose of added cynicism and the other makes it seem like he was shanghaied by a gang of ruffians and forced to write beautiful songs with a gun to his head.
Yes, he was shackled to the jingle jangle sound, according to him. This is his 4th solo album, Boomslang came out almost 20 years ago, the Smiths broke up 35 years ago and he is saying that it is just now that he can play what he wants. (yet his live setlist is Smiths heavy)

I really don't understand his attitude or the things he says. I really think these interviews are getting more bizarre and in all seriousness, I am wondering about his mental health. The interview for the shoes was quite strange.

I don't know why he can't just appreciate where he came from and what he created there, even if it didn't work out in the end. So many people love the Smiths and it just seems self destructive to keep criticizing them and what he contributed there.

Plenty of bands break up - or even worse, have tragedies, like Ian Curtis and the members go on, either together or apart and do not complain about it this much.

It's great Johnny is now totally comfortable carrying the mantle of the Smiths. He's doing a great job.

Excerpt from review of Blondie and JM:

"One of the delights of Blondie has always been Harry’s line readings, and so to hear her deliver “Oh, your hair is beautiful” in Atomic, while touching her own white locks, transcended nostalgia. At 76, her voice may no longer have the velvet force it once did, but she brings to the songs a moving tenderness and generosity.

A similar feeling had been there in Johnny Marr’s support set. His performance of a number of classics, in particular There Is A Light That Never Goes Out felt like an act of sharing. He wrote this music many years ago, and we have loved it for those years, and that gives artist and audience co-ownership. The songs of Blondie and the songs of the Smiths — we have squatters’ rights in their soul."

It's great Johnny is now totally comfortable carrying the mantle of the Smiths. He's doing a great job.

"One of the delights of Blondie has always been Harry’s line readings, and so to hear her deliver “Oh, your hair is beautiful” in Atomic, while touching her own white locks, transcended nostalgia. At 76, her voice may no longer have the velvet force it once did, but she brings to the songs a moving tenderness and generosity.

A similar feeling had been there in Johnny Marr’s support set. His performance of a number of classics, in particular There Is A Light That Never Goes Out felt like an act of sharing. He wrote this music many years ago, and we have loved it for those years, and that gives artist and audience co-ownership. The songs of Blondie and the songs of the Smiths — we have squatters’ rights in their soul."

:lbf: He's not carrying the mantle of the Smiths :lbf: He's a support act for Blondie and then someone else I forget who. He is not getting his own residencies and shows, like Morrissey, who has actually carried the mantle of the Smiths for decades now.

I

I went to the Blondie show in Cardiff last night. Johnny Marr was amazing - so much better than at the 6Music Festival.

:lbf: He's not carrying the mantle of the Smiths :lbf: He's a support act for Blondie and then someone else I forget who. He is not getting his own residencies and shows, like Morrissey, who has actually carried the mantle of the Smiths for decades now.
Pretty sure Morrissey doesn’t much care for the Smiths any more. He’d rather focus on his solo career. He’s probably glad Johnny has grabbed hold of the Smiths’ legacy.

Does Johnny Marr not remember this guy who can't help but effuse about how much of his craft he gets to explore as a songwriter in the smiths? Sounds to me like he was given nothing but the freedom to write and play music that affected generations positively for which is a privilege afforded to the very few. In short WTF is he complaining about?

🤒

UNSHACKLED NOW!!??😐
at 60 yr of age?? who is responsible for the cometic jangle jangle :frogface:
so called 'music'? MOZ???
shackled to 🐻 shoes:bellcancel:
he was shackled by Moz when he made
'call the comet so we can get killed' or/and Armetopoia?
hes now blaming Moz for all his sucy music?? whats wrong with this picture?:lbf:
he must be getting mentally soft

:hammer:

I didn't know Hans Zimmer came from a working-class Irish family. I wonder if he's related to the Donegal Zimmers?

When The Messenger first came out, I can remember Johnny saying, "I felt it was okay to play like me again", as though he'd been running away from it for a long time.

I can understand why he wouldn't want to be pigeonholed at 23 - that would be frustrating for any musician. But if he hadn't been plonked in some kind of category, he'd never have that "trademark sound" he set out for in the first place.

As much as I like some of JM's synth dabbling, his guitar sound - the sound of The Smiths - is what the fans turn up for. I think he struggles with that and is insecure about it.

Sky news RACiST!!!

I am glad he was let off the leash after all this time. I look forward to enjoying his music again in the future.

🤒

8 total songs, half Moz songs:lbf:
hes probably having a pow wow that
Blondie has had him during his set
where there is a real audience.o_O

probably will sulk until Blondie relents and throws him a 🦴

giving a new twist to the concept of 'success':lbf:

:hammer:

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom