Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr feels 'let off the leash' to write what songs he likes - Sky News (April 24, 2022)

If Morrissey did that, or contributed an article to The Spectator, all the Skinnybot’s heads here would be exploding!
He went ten further, he supported AWM
There is nothing wrong with writing for The Spectator, they have lots of lefty and middle of the road writers.
They also have writers, with M style views (which is pretty much in keeping with 52% of the UK)

He went ten further, he supported AWM
There is nothing wrong with writing for The Spectator, they have lots of lefty and middle of the road writers.
They also have writers, with M style views (which is pretty much in keeping with 52% of the UK)

Yes. But as my post reads … if Morrissey contributed an article to it, some folks here would condemn him for it.

:)

correct if moz contributed an article he would condemned by the usual suspects here:handpointleft:
yet, if :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: joined For Britain, the same suspects would join the FB party too.:bowing:
true, incredible but true🧐

:hammer:

...He continued, “I’ve been on this journey from being a kid that’s happy to be in rock music, but when something tells me that I need to dig deep, then that’s what I do. Maybe it’s my working-class mentality, but I can’t imagine making albums in any way other than going, ‘Now is the time I need to make a record,’ so I’ve always done it that way. I’m not here waiting until I’m filled with inspiration or some cathartic thing happens in my life.”

Here are three songs Marr wrote for other artists from the late ’80s through the early 1990s

only took him 40 years to realise he has been handcuffed for all those decades.

If it wasn't Marr doing these shows and releasing these awful songs with laughable lyrics, but say the signer from Northern Uproar, no one would go see the gigs or buy the records.

They're crap, his voice is crap, Marr shone brightly in the Smiths, that's why he's revered now, not for any of his solo output.....

Manchester so much to answer for......

If it wasn't Marr doing these shows and releasing these awful songs with laughable lyrics, but say the signer from Northern Uproar, no one would go see the gigs or buy the records.

They're crap, his voice is crap, Marr shone brightly in the Smiths, that's why he's revered now, not for any of his solo output.....

Manchester so much to answer for......
A bit hyperbolic, but essentially yeah...

'My good friend Johnny Marr once told me the story of when he lived in London and Paul McCartney called him and said: “Do you want to come over?” So he went over to Paul’s and they played I Saw Her Standing There together and he was singing the John Lennon part. I envy him for this. I couldn’t have done it. I would have had a heart attack!

You’ve been an influence on nearly everyone in modern music, but are you influenced by musicians who were influenced by you – namely Bernard Sumner from New Order and The Smiths’ Johnny Marr – on songs like Without A Trace Of Emotion?

Songs talk to each other and although Without A Trace Of Emotion is self-referential, it seems to converse with the songs of Bernard and Johnny. I would have given anything to play live with Johnny and Bernard [in Electronic]. The other day I was chatting with Johnny on FaceTime. I read him my latest lyrics. Suddenly he picked up his guitar and played a rhythm to my poem that he felt was right. The thing is, musicians on Johnny’s level live and breathe music, and there’s a consensus that making music is all about listening, feeling, playing and thinking.'

https://www.loudersound.com/features/karl-bartos-on-kraftwerk-the-endless-cycling-didnt-help-invent-new-music

It's interesting to see when Johnny just talking about feeling ok to not play his signature sound everyone thinks it's dig to Smiths legacy and Morrissey

'My good friend Johnny Marr once told me the story of when he lived in London and Paul McCartney called him and said: “Do you want to come over?” So he went over to Paul’s and they played I Saw Her Standing There together and he was singing the John Lennon part. I envy him for this. I couldn’t have done it. I would have had a heart attack!

You’ve been an influence on nearly everyone in modern music, but are you influenced by musicians who were influenced by you – namely Bernard Sumner from New Order and The Smiths’ Johnny Marr – on songs like Without A Trace Of Emotion?

Songs talk to each other and although Without A Trace Of Emotion is self-referential, it seems to converse with the songs of Bernard and Johnny. I would have given anything to play live with Johnny and Bernard [in Electronic]. The other day I was chatting with Johnny on FaceTime. I read him my latest lyrics. Suddenly he picked up his guitar and played a rhythm to my poem that he felt was right. The thing is, musicians on Johnny’s level live and breathe music, and there’s a consensus that making music is all about listening, feeling, playing and thinking.'

https://www.loudersound.com/features/karl-bartos-on-kraftwerk-the-endless-cycling-didnt-help-invent-new-music

He gets around old Johnny, his social life is a right who's who.
Hopefully he goes back to working with Matt Johnson at some stage, he needs someone like that to bounce of to get the most out of his guitar.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom