Smiths featured on Map Of Alternative Music History

Let’s All Obsess Over This Intricate Map of Alt Music History - Wired

E
xcerpt:

It started with The Sex Pistols. Specifically, with The Sex Pistols’ June 4, 1976 show at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester, England. The concert now ranks as one of the most influential performances of all time, up there with Woodstock. But the audience, not the band, made the show famous. Around 30 or 40 people showed up (although thousands would later claim to have attended), and rumor has it that crowd included the guys who would go on to start bands like The Smiths, Joy Division, and the Buzzcocks.

article continues at link

39206_Dorothy-0113-Alternative-Love-72dpi-Master-High.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s All Obsess Over This Intricate Map of Alt Music History

View attachment 40700
It started with The Sex Pistols. Specifically, with The Sex Pistols’ June 4, 1976 show at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester, England. The concert now ranks as one of the most influential performances of all time, up there with Woodstock. But the audience, not the band, made the show famous. Around 30 or 40 people showed up (although thousands would later claim to have attended), and rumor has it that crowd included the guys who would go on to start bands like The Smiths, Joy Division, and the Buzzcocks.
https://www.wired.com/2016/10/lets-obsess-intricate-map-alt-music-history/
article continues at link

Like it a lot CL.
Thanks for posting.
Off-topic but did you see the drawings of Tokio trainstations on this site ?
Mesmerizing.
Interesting site.
Cheers

Thanks for posting, Calamine. Very interesting diagram. Great to see all my favourite bands listed: Smiths, The Cure, Suede, New Order, Pixies, The Jam. Top stuff.
Morrissey deserves his own mention too.

Thanks for posting, Calamine. Very interesting diagram. Great to see all my favourite bands listed: Smiths, The Cure, Suede, New Order, Pixies, The Jam. Top stuff.
Morrissey deserves his own mention too.

major flaw, then again... M is not the past

he is ETERNAL !!!! :thumb:

major flaw, then again... M is not the past

he is ETERNAL !!!! :thumb:
Pixies just released a new album (it's ok) and New Order released Music Complete last year (it's brilliant!) and I'm still hoping for a Cure album this decade! Depeche Mode have a new album due spring 2017. Suede's last album is amazing. So I'd say the chart is full of old and old that are still current. Next Siouxsie album coming?

Pixies just released a new album (it's ok) and New Order released Music Complete last year (it's brilliant!) and I'm still hoping for a Cure album this decade! Depeche Mode have a new album due spring 2017. Suede's last album is amazing. So I'd say the chart is full of old and old that are still current. Next Siouxsie album coming?

or a new Creatures would be nice. :)

That would be amazing. I would buy it without listening in advance! :thumb:

What a terrible map ! Only hipsters can write Joy Division in bigger letters than Kraftwerk.

is bigger better ? :brows: If that were true then the Velvet Underground would take up the whole image, for it's that band that was the core influence for even Bowie and the Stooges and all that came after(maybe not so much for the German bands though ).

is bigger better ? :brows: If that were true then the Velvet Underground would take up the whole image, for it's that band that was the core influence for even Bowie and the Stooges and all that came after(maybe not so much for the German bands though ).

I agree with you on the Velvet Underground, but let's give the other half to Bowie. A lot of, particularly British, musicians where never as familiar with the VU and Lou Reed, as they were with Bowie. Funny thing is that all the enlarged bands where influenced by him (lets not fake it Moz, ok?). Yet still, I have no idea author intended. I'm also trying to detect the connection, besides the home city, between Pulp and Arctic Monkeys, but I guess it's a waste of mytime.

The Who and Alice Cooper should be on there, too. I sort of think they are trying to indicate how alternative the band was over their entire career though. David Bowie should be placed more centrally. Is Neil Young on it? He was pretty alternative for most of his career. But maybe when a person has huge mainstream hits points are deducted. It would be interesting to see how they did this. I know some people will disagree with Alice Cooper but he influenced Bowie and The Sex Pistols. It's just that later he became sort of a careerist.

Tags
history music the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom