Smiths fans are crazy, says D. Merriweather

G

goinghome

In a piece in The Toronto Sun mainly about how Daniel Merriweather's 2009 album is going from strength to strength, he also recalls efforts to secure approval for The Smiths cover that got really him launched:

- "When you cover someone else’s song, nothing beats their stamp of approval.

Especially when we’re talking The Smiths’ Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before.

So Aussie singer Daniel Merriweather — who teamed up with British producer Mark Ronson to cover the tune as the first single on Ronson’s 2007 album, Version — was relieved when he heard The Smiths’ singer Morrissey and guitarist Johnny Marr gave it the thumbs up.

“I think Mark was really worried because he knew the gravity of covering a Smiths song,” said Merriweather. “The next worse thing from Morrissey hating it, would be all his fans hating it and that’s probably the worst thing to happen. But we sent it to Johnny Marr and Morrissey and they both loved it and we got the green light from them — but we then had to deal with the fans. There was definitely two or three death threats Mark received when that happened. There were a couple of angry Smiths fans. I’m sure it was the threat of being stabbed but really when it probably came down to it they’d be flailing a daffodil around at us. I don’t think it would have been all that violent. They’re pretty much one of the most protective fan bases in the world. It’s crazy. But Smiths fans are crazy." -

Full article's at: http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2010/04/07/13499491.html

He should be killed for making such a bloody awful cover

Yes, Smiths fans in this particular case, are crazy. I do really like the version but that isn't the point.

Some Smiths fans (like some Manic Street Preachers fans that I've encountered too) like to think that the songs belong to THEM & that they should be protected but it's just silly.

Songs get covered all the time, you don't have to like them or even listen to them, get over it.

As much as I hate Snow Patrol most of the time, 'Run' is a good song & that X Factor winner totally killed it. At least Ronson/Merriweather gave Stop Me a little bit of respect!

I don't like the cover THAT much, but it is great to ask people who you know (probably) hate The Smiths:

"do you like that Daniel Merriweather song...um I think its...'Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before'?"

"Oh yeah man I love it"

"HA! Well guess what? It's by The Smiths! So f*ck you!"

Well, that's what I do anyway.

Back
Top Bottom