Smiths BBC Session 17/12/86

https://soundcloud.com/radio-dom-playlists/sessions

Best I've heard Half A Person and London from this session. Maybe this circulates commonly now and I am just out of the loop? I had only heard muffled cassette recordings previously.

There is talking at the beginning (10 seconds) and there is a glitch in HAP, otherwise I'm glad to have finally heard clear-sounding versions of HAP and London.

Question: was something done to Sweet & Tender Hooligan prior to its official release (i.e. was it remixed)?

Thanks for this. They sound nice and warm. The Peel and Jensen sessions have had an upgrade or two. The documentary 'At the Beeb' has these in great quality. In addition, most of the Peel Sessions have been recently re-broadcast on 6Music on DAB, DSAT and Web. The only track that hasn't had an upgrade is the Jensen version of Wonderful Woman. I'm starting to think that there's some reason they can't broadcast it, because they've broadcast everything else.

Question: was something done to Sweet & Tender Hooligan prior to its official release (i.e. was it remixed)?

I'm not sure if my ears are up to the job. The version you linked to is heavy on bass, but I think that's just the way it was recorded.

TThe only track that hasn't had an upgrade is the Jensen version of Wonderful Woman. I'm starting to think that there's some reason they can't broadcast it, because they've broadcast everything else.

Could all us Smiths fans write to the BBC and ask why they won't? I would if given an address and if everyone else would write too.

Great stuff. This version of London has bollocks aplenty. Better than the released version. I'd buy this session in a blink, no question. And the quality on this Soundclound is excellent. I must say Mozzer's voice sound fabulous here. In fact everything does. Brilliant.

P.

For anyone who would like to know, there are versions of London and HAP from this session which are slightly better quality on smithstorrents, along with a few other tracks which may be better than the ones you currently have. Look for "clean versions of BBC sessions".

I believe the version of SATH broadcast by the BBC is slightly slower than the released version, although I don't know which is closer to the "true" speed.

I taped the original broadcast of At The Beeb on DAT. I remember it being really good quality, I should dig it out and transfer it to Flac or similar.

The vocals on SATH sound more echoey to me on the soundcloud version, otherwise it sounds the same.

Back
Top Bottom