Smiths and Morrissey mention in book "Throwing It" by Jay Tando

I recently wrote a coming-of-age book following a football player throughout his high school years and beyond in the mid-80's in Seattle. He is also a Smiths and Morrissey fan.

It is now available at Amazon in paperback and as an e-book for the Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Throwing-It-Jay-Tando/dp/148120467X

An excerpt from the book:

1985. It was cold driving Downtown to Skoochie's. Ray's breath was visible in the chilly car as he went on and on to his friend Alex Rankin about how much fun they were going to have tonight at the club. Alex had just gotten his Driver's License and for the first time he was allowed to got out unsupervised. Alex was a fellow New Waver but unlike Ray, he hated most sports, especially football.

Ray accepted that. They shared a common bond: They both loved Radio Station C-89 and the awesome New Wave songs they constantly played, always seemingly saying something to them about their lives. Alex was heavily into a relatively new band from Manchester, England called The Smiths. On their drive to the club Alex slapped in the cassette of “Meat Is Murder” and side two began.

Ray had heard the Smiths before but had hated their whiny, jangly sound. Too wimpy and ridiculous for him. But he had never heard the song that was starting to reverberate through the speakers in a hum...

The opening strains and the unmistakable guitar riff to “How Soon Is Now?” began. Slowly Ray got a fuzzy feeling in the top of his head. This was the best song he had ever heard in his life. And it was only 10 seconds in. Then lead-singer Morrissey's voice poured in. Ray was in shock.

“I know. I love this song,” Alex said.

Ray was speechless. The song was just too heavenly. He was entranced by it. Suddenly every song on the record became awesome and everything else he had heard from them on the radio was somehow instantly amazing. He pressed “rewind” and they played the song over and over on the forty-five-minute drive to Downtown Seattle Center and the haven of New Wavers for every kid within a hundred miles – the mighty Skoochie's Nightclub.
----

Jay Tando
Absolutely dreadful

Are we allowed to plug our own books now? Mine has some Smiths content as well...

you already did in the other thread. it's funny how you rarely post but lately you come by just to drop hints in various threads that you wrote a book - nonfiction, comprised largely of other peoples' stories, not your own. so at best, you edited one? sorry if you're not getting enough attention for it in real life.

This book is self published. This is a relief as i was debating the sanity of the publishing world

I recently wrote a coming-of-age book following a football player throughout his high school years and beyond in the mid-80's in Seattle. He is also a Smiths and Morrissey fan.

1985. It was cold driving Downtown to Skoochie's. Ray's breath was visible in the chilly car as he went on and on to his friend Alex Rankin about how much fun they were going to have tonight at the club. Alex had just gotten his Driver's License and for the first time he was allowed to got out unsupervised. Alex was a fellow New Waver but unlike Ray, he hated most sports, especially football.

Ray accepted that. They shared a common bond: They both loved Radio Station C-89 and the awesome New Wave songs they constantly played, always seemingly saying something to them about their lives. Alex was heavily into a relatively new band from Manchester, England called The Smiths. On their drive to the club Alex slapped in the cassette of “Meat Is Murder” and side two began.

Ray had heard the Smiths before but had hated their whiny, jangly sound. Too wimpy and ridiculous for him. But he had never heard the song that was starting to reverberate through the speakers in a hum...

The opening strains and the unmistakable guitar riff to “How Soon Is Now?” began. Slowly Ray got a fuzzy feeling in the top of his head. This was the best song he had ever heard in his life. And it was only 10 seconds in. Then lead-singer Morrissey's voice poured in. Ray was in shock.

Ray was speechless. The song was just too heavenly. He was entranced by it. Suddenly every song on the record became awesome and everything else he had heard from them on the radio was somehow instantly amazing. He pressed “rewind” and they played the song over and over on the forty-five-minute drive to Downtown Seattle Center and the haven of New Wavers for every kid within a hundred miles – the mighty Skoochie's Nightclub.
----

Jay Tando

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

----

Jay Tando

This sounds like a story that culminates with gay sex...

...does it?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This sounds like a story that culminates with gay sex...

...does it?

Either way, if the culmination occurs, is it not just called sex?

"I danced with a bloke with a hole in his britches
And our knees were a knockin' and our shoes were a rockin'
I danced with a gal with a hole in her stocking
And we danced by the light of the moon"

Jay has always been friendly to me the handful of times we've met (though I'm sure he doesn't remember me). Nevertheless, I suggest all of you purchase his ebook.

What is the book about? Is it all about the football player?

Jay has always been friendly to me the handful of times we've met (though I'm sure he doesn't remember me). Nevertheless, I suggest all of you purchase his ebook.

Jay is nice to everyone, almost to the point of mental illness

it is however no reason to buy a book

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom